How did Marty start playing Kellys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Marty start playing Kellys?

On his audition to Megadeth he was playing his red Carvin ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpzXi...eature=related ), so did Dave say that that guitar looked too starge or what??? or did the Jackson people wen't to him and gave him an some guitars to try out and he pick the Kelly model? anyone knows the true story?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

hmmm I dunno...

Do you know who pointed Marty to Megadeth?
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Englebert Humperdinck?
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I don't know for certain, but I would assume that since Marty basically used a mirror image of Mustaine's gear during Rust in Peace through Countdown To Extinction it may have just been the logical choice for him to switch. Especially since the band already had a relationship with Jackson Guitars.

Then again, Mustaine may have said, "Ditch the Carvin and play a Jackson or you'll never get hired."

I have heard that his first Kelly was a used model from the 80's that was originally painted with tiger stripes. He had it refinished black. It's one of the few Kelly's I have seen him play with 22 frets. He's using it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdyHs_IX1I

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
          Englebert Humperdinck?
          Close..I'll give you a hint. He played Jacksons.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            Then again, Mustaine may have said, "Ditch the Carvin and play a Jackson or you'll never get hired."
            It actually was something like that. Dave told him to dye his hair one color, then said he needed to play a real guitar, so he got him a Jackson endorsement.

Also, Marty had the Kelly downsized to what we know today. He didn't like the King Kelly or medium sized Kelly and wanted it smaller.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

But how did Marty get that audition? Who was his "wing-man" to the 'Death camp?

hint..he played Jacksons.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                But how did Marty get that audition? Who was his "wing-man" to the 'Death camp?

hint..he played Jacksons.
                Loomis :P

Comment

Don't remember who. I believe it was someone who was friends with Megadeth's manager.
                  Marty also had an audition with Madonna that same week, but luckily he got the Megadeth gig.

Comment

Loomis :P
                    DING ...DING...DING...someone buy this guy a fuggin' beer!!!!

Jeff + Loomis = Jeff Loomis

or

Joomis.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Don't remember who. I believe it was someone who was friends with Megadeth's manager.
                      Marty also had an audition with Madonna that same week, but luckily he got the Megadeth gig.
                      Hahah

These days it makes you wonder if he wishes he got the Madonna gig instead.

Comment

Hahah

I'm true to the Metal..None More True!!

But I would have taken the Madonna gig..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          DING ...DING...DING...someone buy this guy a fuggin' beer!!!!

Jeff + Loomis = Jeff Loomis

or

Joomis.
                          What, no points for being a smartass?
                          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Hahah

At the time, he was into hard rock and metal guitar playing, but he just got bored with it and wanted to branch out and do different things.

Comment

Thats no excuse at all!
                              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                              custom made Les Paul
                              VOX Tonelab LE
                              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                              ADA MP1
                              BBE 422A
                              Lexicon MPX-G2
                              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA