What brand guitar is this ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
    Leo Fender made the first Music Man Stingray bass for the legendary Louis "Thunderthumbs" Johnson. Louis had the most powerful and intense slap-pop playing in the world so he needed a bass wich would deliver his needs. That's when the pickup (now known as Magnetic Field) was born, to give the ultimate power, clearness and tone.
    When Leo did G&L with Fullerton he improved the Music Man bass wich became L-2000 a bass wich combines all the best qualities of Fender J and P bass and Music Man Stingray... but also giving other tones like T-Bird, Ric etc. G&L L-2000 still remains the best bass I've ever played with.

Das Rite E..preach Dat Chit!

I've owned just about every high end named bass..My G & L's were my fave by far!! Second place was My Ken Smiths.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by 992gnt View Post
      Vandenberg was great, good to see I'm not the only one who remembers them! Anyone notice towards the end of the solo he moves his thumb under the neck? I'll admit I have never seen any footage of him playing before, so maybe it's just news to me....
      Vandenberg is awesome!!! He has some incredible chops and feel. Even though his style is nothing like Uli Jon Roth, they both have incredible speed but never seem to repeat themselves. Alot of the fast players (Yngwie, etc.) have signature licks that they play over and over.

I have not heard of Adrian playing anymore. I know he has a webpage where he is now posting and selling his artwork. For those that don't know, Vandenberg is one hell of an artist. He painted all of the Vandenberg album covers (for you younger guys, albums are records that came out before CD's. For you even younger guys, CD's were before MP3 down loads.)

Comment

Thank you John C. & Endrick. That was some heavy information.

I used to have a MM Sting Ray Bass and should have never sold it but now that you mention it I don't remember seeing Ernie Ball anywhere on it. I remember playing after 2 or 3 other bands played and that MM being so damn loud. We had a chic singer and she hated it because no one could even hear her until after we played one or two songs and someone got a hold on the sound. It had that loud ass active Humbucker and I just thought you was always supposed to play it with the volume on "11"
        Last edited by phill_up; 05-15-2008, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Nice

Yeah, this topic is kicking.Man,even I learned some Fender history.Great info guys.
          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
            Thank you John C. & Endrick. That was some heavy information.

I used to have a MM Sting Ray Bass and should have never sold it but now that you mention it I don't remember seeing Ernie Ball anywhere on it. I remember playing after 2 or 3 other bands played and that MM being so damn loud. We had a chic singer and she hated it because no one could even hear her until after we played one or two songs and someone got a hold on the sound. It had that loud ass active Humbucker and I just thought you was always supposed to play it with the volume on "11"
            that's the great thing about those basses.... you can always hear them... and I really love the two pickup combination on G&L + the active/passive switch wich is a very good thing.
            that being said.... maybe your singer didn't had enough power? those basses are mostly used in pop, funk, r'n'b etc. but not in heavy rock so much.
            Duran Duran, Toto etc. has used them but they have very strong basslines.
            Also Tony Levin in Peter Gabriel's band exclusively uses Music Mans and his bass is always pretty loud and up front, but it doesn't bury the other band and the vocals at all.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

There for a while they got really popular. I think Michael Anthony and flea used one. I was just a kid and I always thought it was the ugliest bass I had ever seen and it weighed a ton. All blond and a maple fretboard. There was a popular club that catered to local musicians and sometimes Three maybe four bands would play on the same PA with various amps. I know that when you plugged the MM in after another Bass the volume had to come down. Seemed like it had a crappy bridge though.

Comment

Working...
              X