Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard enough shredding on a Tely...or Strat..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really not an acoustic player, but any guitarist should give kudos where kudos are due - awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
      Strats and teles aren't hard at all compared to an acoustic
      +1

not sure where all this Teles are hard to play stuff comes from. this is the first time I've heard Strats lumped in with them too

it's a guitar guys. I fail to see what is so hard to play about a Tele. I own one and love mine. it's no less forgiving than my Gibson V. and it's not hard to play, really.

but I do agree, learn clean playing on an acoustic and you'll be a good player.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
        +1

not sure where all this Teles are hard to play stuff comes from. this is the first time I've heard Strats lumped in with them too

it's a guitar guys. I fail to see what is so hard to play about a Tele. I own one and love mine. it's no less forgiving than my Gibson V. and it's not hard to play, really.

but I do agree, learn clean playing on an acoustic and you'll be a good player.
        Some of those old tele's had a radius of 7 1/4", so to keep them from fretting out when you bent strings, the action had to be set somewhat high. There really is something to the "Teles are hard to play" myth.

Comment

Not a dreadnaught, but this is my friend Dan shredding on a Gretsch. Could be my narrow strat/tele mind, but I always thought it would be difficult on something like a Gretsch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=edOPN3hgTUs
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Some of those old tele's had a radius of 7 1/4", so to keep them from fretting out when you bent strings, the action had to be set somewhat high. There really is something to the "Teles are hard to play" myth.
            that's funny as my Tele action is a bit high and I also use it for my slide playing when I have to do more than a few bars of that. yes I suppose those older necks were hard to play on regardless. mine has a custom neck from Warmoth. it replaced a vintage fret neck I didn't like.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

As I understand it the whole start of Jackson/Charvel came from the fact the Fenders are a little harder to shred on(for us people with normal size hands, anyway)

Thin, wide, flat necks w Jumbo frets etc.
              Last edited by tanpsi; 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                Maybe the acoustic tension actually helps his accurate picking?

That's interesting, I try to do all my electric stuff on acoustic and there is something cool about the tension vs a floating bridge with 9s, you can hit the strings hard and get like a snap and trills seeem more in control

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                  As I understand it the whole start of Jackson/Charvel came from the fact the Fenders are a little harder to shred on(for us people with normal size hands, anyway)

Thin, wide, flat necks w Jumbo frets etc.
                  Those things certainly make the guitars a little bit easier to shred on, but the difference is not nearly as huge as some people seem to think. IMO string gauge makes the biggest difference as far as "shreddability" is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                    this reminds me of that guy doing while my guitar gently weeps on ukelele or whatever its called

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

p.s. strats and teles aren't THAT hard to shred on
                    At Tommy's level they are !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X