http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9KzU...eature=related

talking bout a feeling!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYDn...eature=related

the best cover of purple haze ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDVj...eature=related

Johny B. Goode ......done the right way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzhQ...eature=related

ahhh.....those were the days
    Last edited by kmanick; 01-04-2008, 04:25 PM.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
    Oh Ya my first real shred influence
    this one's for you Bill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9KzU...eature=related

talking bout a feeling!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYDn...eature=related

the best cover of purple haze ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDVj...eature=related

Johny B. Goode ......done the right way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzhQ...eature=related

ahhh.....those were the days
    When i was 15 or so..i heard of him..but never got a chance to buy
    any albums...seems like i missed allot from this awesome player!
    And he was doing it way before the "nuge"...EVH, Randy etc..
    Frank was ahead of his time!

Comment

Frank is incredible...highly underrated.

Comment

Nick..Thanks so much bro!!!

I tell you what man..I've already watched every single piece of Youtube on the man!!! The '79 stuff is the best to catch there..there is about 5 parts to that show. I think it's the 4th or 5th part where he goes from "who do you love" into his trademark scorcher "Electric reflections of war"..

For me, Frank Marino had the most fire, passion, and speed on the planet in early '78..when I was 13..just before VH I came out. He was my first teue "guitar hero"..not Eddie. Ed just threw gasoline on that fire, bif time...but Frank was the spark!

There is a VERY funny story about Ted Nugent being a total dick and crashing Frank's set..he wanted a "duel"..of course Frank anal raped that silly fucker..but he asked for it..

I'll google the story later..my wife..well she wants to show me her tool box..So I gotsa go!!!

Just Google Frank Marino VS Ted Nugent..He tells a pretty silly story about it!!!

BTW..I have ALL is stuff. In fact, I Emailed him well before I had a PC (about 10 years ago). I used my sister's..he responded that very night. He didn't have any none of his 80's material was available on cd at that time. Finally, a flimsy label "Black Rose" released them. I immediately bought his 1980 JUGGERNAUHT, 1981's THE POWER OF ROCK AND ROLL and the 1982 WHO's NEXT!!!..they were never on cd until 1999...THOSE are the ones you want..but start with the classic Black covered live album..that will fuck you up!!

I think he had an impact on alot of players ..Zakk and the great John Sykes amoung others...I'm convinced of that!!!

OK, I'm on a fuggin' roll now..I must be honest. I listened to Marino so fuggin much when I was young..all other Jimi inspired players including the amazing SRV, Trower, Winter, ect..sounded so lame to me at that time..they didn't compare at all, not even close!!! It was until years later that I appreciated those players. Frank Marino was the one who made me want to play fast, he was a fuggin' blow torch!!! That was the dawn of shred really, "shred" really didn't exist yet. I looked like a fuggin' hippie tardboy having a seizure while cars drivin' by..givin' me the finger and shit...because I'm air guitarin' the entire Mahogony Rush Live album while walkin' home..that was the 70's..and I had long hair and mustache..because that was a rule to be cool.

When I saw California Jam II on our first pay TV "preveiw" (one channel)..I taped it on out top loaded , ginormous, 20lb VCR with the wood sides..and watched Purple Haze..about a billion times with my best bud (VH trib geetarist)..goosebumps every time we watched it...completely obsessed ..hanging onto every fuggin' note!!!

Iommi, Marino, and ED..they fucked me up!!! A little later, I discovered the Ulinator..Then I met some dude named Loomis who sealed the fuggin' deal..I'm in for life!!!

If it sounds like I'm some fuckwad nutswingin' fanboy..I am!

BTW..I must give credit to MH..absolutely amazing band..the put everything so much energy..what a fuggin' rythm section. I seen MH 4 times...you just had to be there. Sadly, I would have seen him 5 times..he came all the way from Canada to play for about 10 people. They couldn't pay the guy to play, and he was so hurt..he disapeared for a while..he had to be depressed. It's cool that he's being appreciated now..he should get so much more exposure, especially now that guitar is happening. Zakk drops his name frequently..and he buddied up with Uli Roth..so that's cool!!!

Fuck me, I gotta bail..what the fuck am I doing!!??

Thanks Nick..you fuggin' rule. We are on the exact same page in our influences and I know you know that I know that you know this!!!

OK..Dammit..the wife is starting to yell..I gotta bail before she clams up!!!!!

BYE!!!!

Bill Z
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I just read the Frank vs Nuge thing (huge Frank fan)

I was playing Detroit one night and Ted was the opening act and then halfway through my set his roadies pushed his amps onto our stage and he began trying to out-volume me. I was pretty stunned because I thought "what a jerk", but I didn't want my guys to throw him off the stage 'cause I felt that he'd make something out of it, so I played along with his gag and answered all of his riffs, quite easily I might add. I guess he got a little un-nerved 'cause the crowd could see that it wasn't really working for him, so he tried to finish it off by playing with his teeth, of all things, which he did real slow and jerky. I guess that he really didn't believe that I could do that 'cause i wasn't givin' to doing those things in those days, but any guitarist can tell you that it's quite easy to do, although I guess to Ted it was the "big hard", so after he finished his lick and the crowd grew silent waiting to see if I'd respond and I waited and waited until it got real quiet. You could hear a pin drop in that hall and I could hear a friend of mine offstage whisper, "do it". So after an enormously long pause, and just as Ted started to strut towards me, I picked up my axe to my teeth and let loose with a blitz of notes, loud, long and fast. Well, the crowd goes nuts and I guess Ted, to his credit, realized what happened so he falls down like he's been shot and I guessed that meant that I'd won or something. To this day, I think it was the single most stupid thing that I'd ever seen in music. I remember that Ted began to go around the country doing these battle shows. They asked if I'd do it with them but I declined. I think that this was the day that the "WWF" came to rock and roll and I really think that Ted was dumb to do that kind of crap. As to whether I blew Ted Nugent's doors off, I think we should ask the fans that were there and remember it. After that, Ted and I ended up at the same management for a while along with Aerosmith, and he always acted like he didn't like me very much, although I couldn't imagine why....
          Frank Marino
          Out Of Ideas

Comment

Frank is god end of story
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

You know Bill, if we grew up in the same town we would've probably
              ended up playing in a band together

I saw that tour when it hit the old Boston Garden back in 79 and I was
              amazed Ted even came out on stage after the Mahogany Rush set.
              Frank mopped up the stage with him.
              In my world before there was EVH, there were 2 guitarists that
              really opened my eyes to playing lead guitar.

Jeff Beck and Frank Marino.

Comment

My older brothers were huge Mahogany Rush fans. Ted was king of Motor City (they saw him a bunch in the local club scene) but nonetheless I remember them telling me about this on how Frank smoked Ted...I didnt even play guitar then but man...having older bro's I got turned on to so much kick-ass music in elementary school...

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                I just read the Frank vs Nuge thing (huge Frank fan)

I was playing Detroit one night and Ted was the opening act and then halfway through my set his roadies pushed his amps onto our stage and he began trying to out-volume me. I was pretty stunned because I thought "what a jerk", but I didn't want my guys to throw him off the stage 'cause I felt that he'd make something out of it, so I played along with his gag and answered all of his riffs, quite easily I might add. I guess he got a little un-nerved 'cause the crowd could see that it wasn't really working for him, so he tried to finish it off by playing with his teeth, of all things, which he did real slow and jerky. I guess that he really didn't believe that I could do that 'cause i wasn't givin' to doing those things in those days, but any guitarist can tell you that it's quite easy to do, although I guess to Ted it was the "big hard", so after he finished his lick and the crowd grew silent waiting to see if I'd respond and I waited and waited until it got real quiet. You could hear a pin drop in that hall and I could hear a friend of mine offstage whisper, "do it". So after an enormously long pause, and just as Ted started to strut towards me, I picked up my axe to my teeth and let loose with a blitz of notes, loud, long and fast. Well, the crowd goes nuts and I guess Ted, to his credit, realized what happened so he falls down like he's been shot and I guessed that meant that I'd won or something. To this day, I think it was the single most stupid thing that I'd ever seen in music. I remember that Ted began to go around the country doing these battle shows. They asked if I'd do it with them but I declined. I think that this was the day that the "WWF" came to rock and roll and I really think that Ted was dumb to do that kind of crap. As to whether I blew Ted Nugent's doors off, I think we should ask the fans that were there and remember it. After that, Ted and I ended up at the same management for a while along with Aerosmith, and he always acted like he didn't like me very much, although I couldn't imagine why....

Frank Marino
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Sweet..I found a new one I haven't seen before!!!

here's Frank in '86..I saw him on this tour.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Waf2_...eature=related
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Cool!
                      "The Answer", great tune!
                      Thanks Bill!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Nick..Thanks so much bro!!!

If it sounds like I'm some fuckwad nutswingin' fanboy..I am!

Bill Z
                        I could copy and paste most of your story, it's amazing ! I saw Mahogany Rush in Munich (1983 or 1984 I think) and it blew me away. Of course I had known, what to expect - I had listened to the black Live album a billion times - but standing 10 ft. away and watching him was unbelieveable ! It started everything ! And I remember that we thought, most bands would be lucky to have Frank's brother on guitar. What a great band ...

And Mahogany Rush Live is in the Top 5 of "Best Live Recording of all times" !

It's good to see (read), that it's not forgotten !!!

Franx
                        uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Working...
                        X