Defenders of the Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defenders of the Faith

I listened to this all the way through... what a record! It has the heavier sound of Screaming for Vengeance mixed with the consistency of British Steel and the song writing of Sad Wings of Destiny, Hellbent For Leather, and Stained Class all rolled into one. Glenn and KK were really starting to come into their prime as guitar players, and it shows. There is not a bad track on this one. The only thing I truly dislike is while Robs vocals are strong, I wonder what it would of been like if he had the ability (thanks in no small part for being sober) of the Twin Turbos sessions. Likewise, I think if Scott Travis had drummed on this (by Defenders, they were starting to use a drum machine) it would of sealed the deal as one of the greatest metal releases ever. That said this is hardly a case of "Coulda Shoulda Woulda", as it is an amazing and under rated record.

So enough of my ramblings, does anyone else just love this record? It is certainly my favorite Priest album, and it is the definition of metal

Oh yes
    It's has been one of my very favourite albums for years and years and it's never gonna change. To me it is simply as good as it gets. It's ultra heavy and is brilliant (like you said the definition of metal and all. 10 out 10 for me. And I've given only one other (or 2) albums that sort of mark.
    Regards

Comment

Defenders of the Faith is one of the all time greatest metal records.

Comment

Unleashed In The East. Great live Priest.
        Throw the CD in, crank it and feel it rattle your chest.
        Its the one Priest CD I never tire of, it gets better the louder you go.
        Last edited by Soap; 01-03-2008, 10:15 PM.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

June 4th 1984 - Winnipeg Arena with Great White opening. Sold out 14,000 and change. Fucking awesome. Fantastic record.

There's an amazing Priest website this guy on the Halford board put together. You have to check it out. http://www.jpinfo.tk/

Here's the page on Defenders Of The Faith http://members.firstinter.net/markst...FTHEFAITH.html
          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I have read jpinfo.tk. I LOVE that site.

Comment

Defenders is a great album. Start of the "processed" guitar sound that would saturate Turbo. But it is a transition album for sure soundwise. But 5 of my favorite Preist songs are on there, Freewheel Burning, Love Bites, Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, Eat Me Alive and When The Night Comes Down...

But I was more of a Point Of Entry fan. They seem to hate that album but it's my favorite...

Unleashed In The East is brilliant, as someone mentioned...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

CR,
                For my part, you're preaching to the choir!
                But you knew that...
                There have only been two or three albums I got the very first
                day of release, PF The Wall, and DOTF....
                If you ever get a chance to listen to this one on LP, it will
                rip your head off. The mix was awesome. One of the best LP's I've ever heard, and
                a great example of how CD's are over-compressed.

Comment

I recently got the remastered CD version and it sounds pretty kick ass! A lot of the CDs mastered when the technology was new sounded like ass, but this is not true anymore. As a bonus with the remastered CDs you get some unreleased tracks - that should have stayed unreleased LOL
                  "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

In my top ten from the day for sure..Killer stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                      Unleashed In The East. Great live Priest.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice one, you mean "Unleashed in the Studio"?

"Defenders.." is a damned fine album, I love "The Sentinel", but pretty much full of killer Priest material.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice one, you mean "Unleashed in the Studio"?

"Defenders.." is a damned fine album, I love "The Sentinel", but pretty much full of killer Priest material.
                        Studio mastering was very common in those days. I've seen the band several times, and never was disappointed. They always sounded great. But...
                        you knew that.

Even worse is lip-synched,band synched recordings being played on stage, as if the band were actaully playing live...now that is the utimate rip off!

Comment

Seen Priest, the Unleashed tour (opened for kiss) where they opened for a variety of bands during their US tour back then. Also seen them on their Vengeance, Defenders and Turbo tours. I was never disappointed.
                          The Unleashed CD, is an exact duplicate of the show I seen them. Sound and set list was identical.
                          Great stuff indeed.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                            I recently got the remastered CD version and it sounds pretty kick ass! A lot of the CDs mastered when the technology was new sounded like ass, but this is not true anymore. As a bonus with the remastered CDs you get some unreleased tracks - that should have stayed unreleased LOL

I have the remastered version as well. To think that priest followed Screaming for Vengeance with this album is mind blowing. Easily one of my fav priest albums (there are so many to choose).

The sound is more compressed than Vengeance but I like the separation in tones and sounds from said album. All killer no filler.

When night comes Down is such a great slow metal tune. Conjures up some cool visions of cruisin' down the highway with the late afternoon sun reflecting off the water all done in a Hollywood movie type sequence.

AWESOME ALBUM
                            LOVE THE PRIEST

Comment

When i was a kid, yea that long ago, I got Defender of The Faith and Screaming For Vengence for my birthday, I was around 11 years old. I also got Motley Crue's Too fast For Love, and Shout at The Devil. That birthday, and those 4 albums made me a metalhead for life. I've probably worn out 10-15 priest tapes and finally replaced them with cd's.
                              My Toys:
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                              '94 Dinky HX in Black
                              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                              X