Paul Gilbert plays Stevie wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
    such a great song, I'm not sure who butchered it more, Will Smith or Paul lol

I didn't know Paul played with Jeff Berlin, Jeff is god!

One of my main bass influneces and yes he is!!!

cool to see him jammin' with PG.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I know he can play some crazy shred stuff, but does he do songs? I'm not averse to hair metal, I even enjoy early Poison stuff, but I don't remember Mr Big even having songs as good as Poison.

Enlighten me!

I think Mr. Big got late in the game with the whole Glam Metal thing, after their second album (Lean into it) came out, Nirvana and the grunge crew were killing off all Glam metal bands for good, so they retreated to Japan as every other Glam band did but they made it BIG in Japan (No pun intended). But as far as they went musically, they were really into The Beatles kind of song structure, and IMO far superiour to anything any other Glam band were doing, plus they had the best bassist and best guitarist ever.

But I get what you are saying about Paul Gilbert being one of those guys every guitarist knows , but has never had a decent song to his name that everybody can recall, but I think the general public are more into singer / songwriters than "Watch me play sweeps over 300bpm!!!"

Comment

Spoken like someone who hasn't heard Paul's solo stuff. The music Paul tends to write is very poppy (Green Tinted 60's Mind is one of Paul's compositions and I believe is his first solo composition) and could easily be a hit in the mainstream if people didn't hold the "Watch me play sweeps over 300bpm!!!" stuff against him.

Memorable? Absolutely. As I think of Paul, I am thinking of "Koto Girl", "Down to Mexico", "Girlfriend's Birthday", "Individually Twisted", or "Rosalinda Told Me". All from his solo albums and all pretty catchy tunes.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

An old freind..Billy Morris, of Warrant toured with Paul's band about 10 years ago. They went to Japan and shit. Brought back lots of silly pics..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
            Spoken like someone who hasn't heard Paul's solo stuff.
            Right, because everybody has Alligator Farm in their collection? I'm a big fan of Gilbert, I have nearly every official thing he has put his name on, but Paul won't hit the big time like he did with Mr. Big, because not everyone is a guitarist, not everyone is a straight up rock fan plus simple, clean cut rock and Metal doesn't sell now unlike in the 80's.

So you can name a set of decent Gilbert songs, your a fan of Paul Gilbert, of course your going to know some, but if they are that great of songs, they should of broke out and been recognised on a larger scale like Vai's For the Love of God or something.

Comment

I don't think the average music listener knows For the Love of God either...

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                I don't think the average music listener knows For the Love of God either...
                Okay then, bad example.......ermmmmm......... something by..............

Carlos Santana? Clapton?

Comment

But those guys were mainstream guitar heroes to start off with... I don't think any of the "shredders" really get universal recognition on the strength of their songs. Maybe Nuno with More than Words, but that just served to make the world think that Extreme was a ghey ass acoustic band...

Comment

Overall, it boils down to label support. Gilbert had the support of small fledgling Shrapnel Records. With Mr.Big, he had Atlantic. Unfortunately, Atlantic wasn't that interested in supporting the individual talents of Mr.Big and so Paul had to seek support overseas. Santana and Clapton spent plenty of time in big mainstream bands where people could be more exposed to them. Satriani and Vai were lucky enough to be signed by Epic. They had the foresight to spin off into Relativity and support guitar oriented music.

I personally believe that if Paul was given the right support he'd be better known. His songs are a lot better than the talent-less dreck that the record companies are forcing down our throats today.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                      Overall, it boils down to label support. Gilbert had the support of small fledgling Shrapnel Records. With Mr.Big, he had Atlantic. Unfortunately, Atlantic wasn't that interested in supporting the individual talents of Mr.Big and so Paul had to seek support overseas. Santana and Clapton spent plenty of time in big mainstream bands where people could be more exposed to them. Satriani and Vai were lucky enough to be signed by Epic. They had the foresight to spin off into Relativity and support guitar oriented music.

I personally believe that if Paul was given the right support he'd be better known. His songs are a lot better than the talent-less dreck that the record companies are forcing down our throats today.

+1
                      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

PG is god. Every time I watch one of his videos, first I am ashamed at how bad I suck, but then it motivates me to practice.

RacerX had some great tunes, I don't give a fuck if PG is a huge commercial success or not, he has a nice fan base among guitarists...and Japanese people.

Comment

Working...
                        X