I guess 2007 goes to prog metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markb View Post
    That seems to be the case with all metal the past couple years. Every new band seems to be a death/thrash/prog/black/bluegrass/kitchensink mix the way they get described these days.

But Bill, you got more to say than that about metal in 2007.... so out with it pal!!!

You liked the Daath?? ... didn't know. They are good musicians... some really interesting riffs and harmonies, out of the ordinary. I wish they'd ditch the techno/industrial tinge, I dont think it works. They could be a real black sheep.
    .. Well Mark, I need some time to contemplate on everything I purchased last year..there some that I've prolly only listened to once , if that..

You're absoluetly right about these bands that are coming out..more and more are pretty abstract. I picked UNEXPECT..that some crazy shit!

As far as Daath goes..it was the guitars that interest me..I didn't care for it too much intially...but it just kind of grew on me.

To be honest..I been listening to the last Soilwork. That grew on me like crazy. They've become much more melodic..but the musicianship is incredible and I really like Bjorn's voice. I hated "Stabbing the drama"..but now I'm giving it another chance. I still prefer their early stuff of course.

I must go thru my stuff to locate the 2007s I've picked up.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
      I got into Jorn's material through the Allen/Lande discs. I thought the live ProgPower set from Jorn was great but could have featured a lot more of his own songs... and even more covers. I guess I would have liked a 3- or 4-CD set.
      Jorn is the man!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey Bill, you have any of:

Age of Nemesis - Words Unspoken...
        Sun Caged - Artemisia
        Anima - Spheric Universe Experience

Some wild ass prog metal shred in all three. If you dont have it, check the Sun Caged guitarist, a real smooth and flashy shredder.

I have Stabbing the Drama somewhere. It was OK. Didn't listen to it much. Soilwork pisses me off but I keep getting their stuff. :P

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
          My personal fav is the new Symphony X, they topped everyone including themselves with that one IMO.
          +9000
          Scott

Comment

Mark.."Some wild ass prog metal shred in all three. If you dont have it, check the Sun Caged guitarist, a real smooth and flashy shredder."

Yes I have the Sun Caged stuff..I have that guitarist's other band's Lemur Voice stuff too . I guess he was in a Joe Satriani tribute band..

I don't have Age of Nemeisis or Anima..

As far as anything Crazy prog goes what comes to mind is Zero Hour, Twisted into Form w / Spiral Architect drummer, Code of Perfection, Farmakon, the new Heironomius Bosch, ..and everything else is one huge blur..

I do have to go through my stuff!!!

Man, the double live Jorn is OUT OF STOCK..AGAIN!!!!!

Comment

TTEOTD was good, and I absolutely loved Machine Head's new effort. Dream Theater's new album was quite good, and DT have stepped up their live shows recently as the last time I saw them, they were great.

Comment

I'm wasn't blown away with Machine Head..I always go back to Burn My eyes.

OK, Bill Z Bub's top 10 for 2007!

Candlemass "King Of the grey Island"
                Therion "Gothic Kaballah"
                The Absence "Riders of the plague"
                Agent Steel "Alienigma"
                Circus Maximus "Isolate"
                Carnal Forge "Testify for my victims"
                Farmakon "robin"
                Soilwork " The great divide"
                Scariot "Momentum Shift"
                Blood Red Throne "Come death"

There is ALOT more..but these get much attention!!

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
                  I think it wasn't that bad a year for deathmetal... new Nile, Behemoth, Vital Remains, and most of all, Cephalic Carnage (Xenosapien), which gets my vote for most crushing record/production of 2007.
                  And my own deathmetal band released our debut album too, so...

My personal fav is the new Symphony X, they topped everyone including themselves with that one IMO.
                  xenosapien is the best thing i've heard in a long time. the ithyphalic is a close 2nd. but holy shit, did cephalic carnage deliver. that cd has not left my player since i heard it. the only thing that could possibly top it is misery index's next release.
                  EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I just ordered Circus Maximus "Isolate" I had never heard of them and I came across some clips on youtube and I said "yes I must have this"
                    I also thought Symphony -X put out the best Prog album of the year.
                    I was really let down with Dream theaters release.
                    Steve Smyths EssenEss CD is pretty good, and
                    Andy James "In the Wake of Chaos" enede up being my favorite
                    CD of the year.
                    I need to check out the new SoilWork, I kind of like them.

still waiting for new Nevermore.
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                    X