Prince Tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Tone?

This one has been bugging me for a long while. I'm looking for a Prince-ish tone, both clean (as in the end of 1999), and his overdriven tone (Lets go Crazy, When Doves Cry, etc). I don't think its my amp (Crate Vintage Club 60). Like wise I have a Wah, DOD Milkbox Compressor, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Flanger, and Line 6 Delay to work with. For my Tele-ish tone I use the middle position on my Jackson or the Single coils on my S540. I really have no clue when it comes to funk. So what kind of EQ settings should I try to use on my amp, along with what effects? I'm really stumped and would love some help. Thanks.

I get my clean "funk tone" with the middle + bridge single coils on a strat, or with the two outside coils on my bridge and neck humbuckers (if your guitar is wired to enable this pickup selection).

Then, it's just a matter of tweaking the eq.

Hope this helps

EDIT: I just listened to 1999 again... It sounds like Prince may be using an envelope filter (auto wah) on a very shallow setting in that song.
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

prince used to use a fender twin i think, and a bunch of boss pedals back then...i think you're going to have a hard time approximating a tele sound without a tele. good luck!

Comment

gotta have good vintage pickups, neck or middle position and volume turned to about 7
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

don't forget the octavia for single note lines, licks, riffs and howlin' leads. Some slight phaser, compressor and t-wah/envelope filter set to various depths for cleans...sometimes sub deep chorus and delay for the phaser depending on the tune.
          DiMarzio Endorsee
          www.dimarzio.com
          Morley Endorsee
          www.morley.com
          "Intelli-Shred" author
          www.myspace.com/intellishred
          NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Thanks for the help... I'll give it all a shot.

Comment

Thanks for the info dude! I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
                prince used to use a fender twin i think, and a bunch of boss pedals back then...i think you're going to have a hard time approximating a tele sound without a tele. good luck!
                VG !

Comment

Prince was playing through Mesa Boogie Heartbreakers, but according to the guys at the Hollywood Mesa store that service his amps he's switched to the Lonestar.

I saw him playing through the Heartbreakers during his surprise in-store appearance at the (now closed) Tower Records location on Sunset Blvd...it was the rawest, ripping-est live sound I've ever heard in my life. Played through his Hohner Tele and custom Strats. That tone damned near changed my life.

Comment

Working...
                  X