European G3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European G3

Any of you know why Yngwie isn't on the G3 bill anymore? Seems Robert Fripp replaced him for the European leg of this year's G3 [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Never even heard of this guy...
    I love Satriani's playing and like Vai's style as well, but I'm not sure I'm travelling to Oslo without Yngwie on the show anymore....

- Rune.

Re: European G3

Probably because he sucked hard on the tour. His slot was friggin unbearable. He is a shadow of what he once was. That or maybe he didn't want to do it. My guess is because he was horrible. The majority of the people that I spoke to that went hated him. It was the third time I saw him and the absolute worst. It was so bad, he ruined G3 for me. I mean all G3s to come in the future as well.

Comment

was he really that bad? in what ways?

didn't he say he's at the top of his instrument more than ever now? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Check out the new G3 Live feat. Yngwie. He did almost exactly the same licks he's been playing since '84 over the 30 min. jam. His solo in Little Wing is just butchery. I think that means bad, hmm? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

mm.. i have yet to watch the G3 videos.. but saw yngwie play G3 on some clips.. he seems ok.. fat all over the place but he's still got the groove it seems..

I don't know.. 'd have to watch the video.

tho I'd imagine that he's too overconfident to even look at the chord progression of little wing, even tho its not really his style of music. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

They should put Uli Roth on the bill..... [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

he's the shiot!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Actually, I'd be really interested in seeing what Fripp does. I've been a big admirer of his work for many years. He opened a G3 tour a few years ago doing his Soundscapes stuff, but I'm guessing he's going to burn up the fretboard a bit more as a 'co-headliner'. BTW, for those of you who haven't heard him, he can absolutely shred as fast as anyone in a total improvised setting--hell of a player, although not as 'rockish' as Satch or Vai--but he's good friends with Satch.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                Probably because he sucked hard on the tour. His slot was friggin unbearable. He is a shadow of what he once was. That or maybe he didn't want to do it. My guess is because he was horrible. The majority of the people that I spoke to that went hated him. It was the third time I saw him and the absolute worst. It was so bad, he ruined G3 for me. I mean all G3s to come in the future as well.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So because Yngwie had a bad show, you've
                judged every future guitarist that'll ever play on a G3 tour? Man, that makes a LOT of sense! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, Robert Fripp! He founded King Crimson, one of the earliest prog-rock bands, and he IS a helluva
                guitarist!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Does any one know if G3 is coming to England? when will tickets be on sale?
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I think Uli is busy doing his Legends of Rock project. He's already put out a live album, featuring Michael Schenker, Jack Bruce and Don Airey etc. I love his All Along the Watchtower cover, and he even pulled off an amazing voice! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

G3 is doing a lot of dates in the UK. I am going to Royal Albert Hall gig.

Comment

I guess I'll have to wait and see what they want for the tickets before I decide...
                        Anyway here's the tour dates according to blabbermouth.net:

G3: More European Tour Dates Announced - Mar. 15, 2004

An updated list of tentative dates for the European G3 Tour, featuring Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Robert Fripp, has been released. It is as follows:

Jun. 13 - Arrow Rock Festival - DeShanes, NETH
                        Jun. 14 - K.B. Hallen - Copenhagen, DEN
                        Jun. 15 - Liseberghallen - Gothenburg, SWE
                        Jun. 16 - Gota Lejon - Stockholm, SWE
                        Jun. 18 - Icehall - Helsinki, FIN
                        Jun. 20 - Konserthuset - Oslo, NOR
                        Jun. 23 - Clyde Auditorium - Glasgow, SCO
                        Jun. 24 - Apollo - Manchester, UK
                        Jun. 25 - City Hall - Newcastle, UK
                        Jun. 26 - NIA Academy - Birmingham, UK
                        Jun. 27 - BIC Windsor Hall - Bournemouth, UK
                        Jun. 28 - Royal Concert Hall - Nottingham, UK
                        Jun. 29 - Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
                        Jul. 01 - Palais de Congres - Paris, FRA
                        Jul. 02 - Jam - Bergara, SPA
                        Jul. 03 - La Riviera - Madrid, SPA
                        Jul. 04 - Razmatazz - Barcelona, SPA
                        Jul. 06 – TBA - Milan, ITA
                        Jul. 07 - Centrale de Tenis - Rome, ITA
                        Jul. 08 - Villa Pisani - Padova, ITA
                        Jul. 09 - Tivoli Hall - Ljubliana, SLO
                        Jul. 10 - Piberstein, Freizelitinsel, AUT
                        Jul. 11 - Petrofi Csarnok - Budapest, HUN
                        Jul. 12 - SportsHall - Belgrade, SER
                        Jul. 14 - Torwar - Warsaw, POL
                        Jul. 15 - TBA
                        Jul. 16 - TBA
                        Jul. 17 - Guitar Festival - Patrimonio, FRA

The most recent G3 U.S. lineup — Vai, Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen — issued DVD and CD sets documenting the tour (entitled "G3 - Live in Denver" and "G3 Live: Rockin' in the Free World", respectively) last month through Epic Records.

- Rune.

Comment

I saw the DVD in the store recently and was disappointed to find out that they didn't include the entire show, just selected bits from the three solo sets plus the entire encore. Is the cd version (which is taken from a different show) the same?

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So because Yngwie had a bad show, you've
                            judged every future guitarist that'll ever play on a G3 tour? Man, that makes a LOT of sense! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, Robert Fripp! He founded King Crimson, one of the earliest prog-rock bands, and he IS a helluva
                            guitarist!
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No.

What I meant was that I personally go to every G3 show primarily to see Joe and Steve. I love them. The third person is a plus for me, but not a necessity. In this years show, Joe and Steve had shorter slots than usual and a lot of the show was Yngwie. I have seen Joe and STeve so many times that I can now say it isn't worth it. My tickets were $80. That night the sound wasn't as good as it could have been and Yngwie was literally painful. Most people had their ears covered and were mocking him the whole time. My friend and I each came to the conclusion that we would wait for the dvd in the future. It will be cheaper, the sound better and we could fast forward through the crap. Vai's recent live dvd was $14, was 3.5hrs long and was a much better time. That said, if Steve or Joe come around again solo...I am there. Every time I have seen Yngwie, I have wanted my money back. This time he was absolutley the worst.

Comment

YEah, Yngwie is all over the place on the DVD. The bio section is like 5 times bigger than Joe's and Steve's. Joe was very quite in the jam. The ironic thing is, that Joe and Steve are kinda less firm with the camera. Yngwie is more how to say?.. hmm. Official. Dunno. But he believes in the crap the ads say about him. Isn't that pathetic? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X