Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool new band - Firewind

Hey fellas,
    I've been checking out a fairly new band on the scene called Firewind...as you figured from the name, they play classic heavy metal with lots of harmonies and stuff. I think they are pretty good, the vocals didn't get lost in the I-got-my-balls-in-a-vice department, like these bands often do! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] actually the vox reminds me a little of Jon Schaffer. (Iced Earth)
    anyway I'm diggin' it, lots of cool riffs and solos! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Here is the band website and if you want to order their CD's I found their record label too (No I'm not connected to the band, but if you like someone's music then support the artist and BUY it, don't just download...)

also, the guitar player who calls himself Gus G. plays an axe from ESP that looks like a Charvel Star rip-off! (with an ass-ugly headstock to boot)
    check it out:

- Rune.

Re: cool new band - Firewind

Yeah man, Rockin!

I am the anger was really good [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] That was awesome! Kind of does have a new Priest, Iced Earth, and a bit of power metal feel to it. Very cool! Can't help headbanging and givin' the horns on this one. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for the hookup!!!

Comment

That guitar kind of resembles the Loudness guitar player had back in the day [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Bill Z's been raving about Gus G for years, and Firewind for a couple years.
          Nice to see others becoming aware of them too.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

OOPS! Double-post!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
              Bill Z's been raving about Gus G for years, and Firewind for a couple years.
              Nice to see others becoming aware of them too.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he sure has! Firewind are great. Still haven't got their new album yet though - it was a toss-up between it and Tarot's Suffer Our Pleasures when I went to the store. But it's next on my list!
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Gus G's in a band called Dream Evil also. That guitar is ESP's Randomstar, based on Akira Takasaki's guitars which has been around since the very early 80's. The headstock is basically a Danelectro copy, kinda cool looking IMO. EVH also played a star with the same type headstock during the Women and Children First Tour.

Comment

Which is why Akira wanted his like that.
                  Akira Van Rhoads! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Dman, I'm watching this video for like the 10th time today. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Thanks to Rune for starting this topic!!!! This is my kind of music!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Rune The Axeman:
                      actually the vox reminds me a little of Jon Schaffer. (Iced Earth)
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wonder what that would sound like if Jon Schaffer ever sang. He plays rhythm guitar. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Jon does sing. He sings in a much more aggressive style than Matt normally did. You can hear Jon singing in the "God Of Thunder" KISS cover from "Tribute To The Gods" and normally sings backup on other songs and does the evil spoken parts. I think he complemented Matt perfectly, like an aggressive version of him. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I'm learning this "I Am The Anger" song! I don't normally like a band enough to learn them on guitar right away! Apparently it's in drop-D, but I don't have a guitar that is set up in drop-D, so I'm playing it in regular D and it's not so bad. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                          Jon does sing. He sings in a much more aggressive style than Matt normally did. You can hear Jon singing in the "God Of Thunder" KISS cover from "Tribute To The Gods" and normally sings backup on other songs and does the evil spoken parts. I think he complemented Matt perfectly, like an aggressive version of him. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heh. Ain't that some shit! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I've got the box set with the Tribute To The Gods cd in it, and I never realized he ever sang. Sounds like Matt to me.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Don't worry, I assumed it was Matt semi-growling on that song too! I'm just speculating, but I think the reason for the switch from Matt to Jon for that song was to reflect the switch from Paul to Gene on the original KISS version. I THINK it was Gene who sang the original one.

What country is Firewind from? The band members' names sound Scandinavian (sp?), but the ".gr" on the end of their web address make me think they're from Greece. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

No Prob NOTP, we gotta spread the word on cool bands - otherwise metal will never make it back on top of this godforsaken MTV ridden world of ours!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              Anyway, Gus G. is from Greece, the drummer is Norwegian, they have a new vocalist from Greece (who has yet to record anything with them), I don't remember where their bass player is from but I think he's from the US. Their website seems to be down right now.

You should also check out Nightrage , a band with which Gus G. has a close connection. They play more like classic swedish melodic death metal(phew!). Think early arch enemy mixed with a touch of in flames' colony era that's about where they are I think. Well whatever you want to call it, I fukin' love that type of music! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

Working...
                              X