Racer X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racer X

No, not you Ron. And I know that Paul Gilbert is not a J/C artist, but I just picked up my first Racer X cd yesterday. I've known of Paul Gilbert for a while but for some reason have never owned any of his work. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking. This guy is simply amazing. I am definitely going to have to check out more of his stuff. Any suggestions on his better work? I picked up Street Lethal because that was all that Best Buy had.

Re: Racer X

They are all good!

If you have Street Lethal, then get Second Heat too. For 80's guitar shred, Second Heat tops them. The Extreme Volume Live CD's are also great to hear them shred it up live.

But the newer ones are simply amazing too, especially with the better production sound quality. Get Technical Difficulties and SuperHeroes for their more current stuff.

And if you REALLY want to get something cool, get the Racer X Live at the Whisky DVD, made a couple years ago. It's an import, but you can find it on the web.

Comment

Practically anything that Paul plays on is good. Even the Mr. Big albums had his signature shred licks on it. My favorite Racer X album has to be Superheroes.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Paul Gilbert [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Living in L.A. in the 80s, I saw Racer X open for a bunch of better known bands, usually at the Country Club in Reseda (San Fernando Valley). The ONLY band that held their own after Racer X played was Lizzy Borden. King Kobra got smoked especially bad, and I liked them at the time! Hey, maybe that show made Marc Free decide to become Marcie, because KK were Racer X's bitches that night!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

a big hell yea to paul on second heat also. when i first heard that album my jaw popped out of socket [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome player...checkout his instrution videos. Fffffaaaassstttt [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Technical Difficulties is an amazing album from Racer X.

Just get hold of every cd he has done, that makes it easier to choose a favourite [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

oh yes, check the terrifying guitartrip videos. they are great, alot of fun to watch paul playing and joking.

Comment

Not to take anything away from Paul Gilbert, cause I can't [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , but I always liked Bruce Bouliett ( SP) better. I just like his solos, even though alot of the stuff was dual harmony, but I especially like his tone better on the Live album.
                  Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Bruce Bouillet was amazing [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] with The Scream as well. If you have not checked that out, do so.

There are no better examples of 80's shred than the first two Racer X records.

lexercat, I love the first KK record, I think it is one of the most overlooked records of all time. I have never found (and I have looked real hard) for any KK live bootleg videos. So you must tell me, how were they live? (not comparing them to Racer X [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Comment

Everything by Racer X is cool, pick up all their CDs and Paul's solo CDs as well. Check out
                      www.racerxband.com the webpage is being rebuilt but the forums are up. Also www.pgmsite.com a site dedicated to the Ibanez PGM model, but Paul as well. I don't think there's a site there yet either, but some forums.

I just watched that RX SoD DVD the other night, well worth the money to see him and the rest of the X tear it up. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

JE

Comment

Don't forget the Mr Big stuff! There was some pretty terrifying shredding going on there too! Granted, some of the songs were a bit girly in places...
                        The Mr Big live in San Francisco video is well worth getting hold of, PG even breaks out the old pink Ibanez/Epi Coronet for the encores! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X