Meshuggah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meshuggah

I need to familiarize myself with these guys. Which album is by far the best one to pick up? I h've read that their first albums or more thrashy..like testament..but the newer stuff is more...like early fear factory..sort of. Any suggestions on where I should start? I've heard chaosphere very briefly..

so which one is the best?

Meshuggah (Psykisk Testbild) (EP) 1989
    Contradictions Collapse 1991
    None 1994
    Selfcaged (EP) 1995
    Destroy Erase Improve 1995
    The True Human Design (EP) 1997
    Contradictions Collapse & None (Re-Issue) 1998
    Chaosphere 1998
    Rare Trax (Compilation) 2001
    Nothing 2002

Re: Meshuggah

I dunno

but they're from my town! yeah! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got Chaosphere and Nothing. They're both pretty kick-ass albums!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I prefer Destroy Erase Improve and Contradiction Collapse.

Comment

I have Chaosphere, Nothing and Destroy Erase Improve. I like all of them, but my 1 favorite song from each album are these: "Rational Gaze" - Nothing, "New Millenium Cyanide Christ" - Chaosphere, "Future Breed Machine" - DEI. They're pretty kick ass. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

All of Meshuggah's stuff is great. Chaosphere and Nothing are their best works in my opinion. Hell man, just get all their stuff. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I just wish those Lazy Swedes would get off their lazy arses and start recording a new CD, non-lazily. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

BTW, if you get a CD or two by Meshuggah, you may wanna check out Meshuggah lead guitarist Fredrik Thordendals solo CD, Fredrik Thordendals Special Defects-Sol Niger Within version 3.33 . Good stuff I tell ya. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My favorite song off Nothing is the one the drummer does the vocals on. I think it's called Spasm. I've gotta pull that cd out now... haven't listened to it in awhile.

Comment

Spasm is [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] .

Yeah, that song is great. I think the guitars are basically tuned down like 5 string basses to Bb for the rhythm. Pretty fuckin low, and it sounds great! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

"Destroy, Erase, Improve" seems to be their most popular work, I have heard it a few times and it didn't grab me.

I do have "Chaosphere", "Raretrax" and "Nothing". "Chaosphere" is good and a classy metal album, "Raretrax" has a lot of quite poor (imho) early material but is worth buying for "War" alone which is a phenomenal track though - perhaps unfortunately - not entirely indicative of their sound. "Nothing" is a work of considerable talent and there are some excellent songs on it. I think soemtimes that gets over looked about Meshuggah, while they are quite rightly lauded for their technical abilities they don't often get much praise for their tunes which is wrong when they can write things like "Rational Gaze".

BTW - they play 8 string guitars with the low string tuned to F# (I think) in a "dropped D" fashion. More info on the beasts of "guitars" they play can be found on their site www.meshuggah.net.

Comment

My faves are Chaosphere and DEI, I thought Nothing sucked, really slow and boring...

Comment

I started with 'Nothing', then I bought 'Chaosphere', and I plan to get more in the future. I suggest you start with Nothing, just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                          Spasm is [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] .

Yeah, that song is great. I think the guitars are basically tuned down like 5 string basses to Bb for the rhythm. Pretty fuckin low, and it sounds great! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, most of their stuff was done on the 7-string tuned down a half-step. Wasn't this album done with some of the prototype 8-strings and the lowest string was like F or F#?

Comment

The best album IMHO is Destroy Erase Improve. Personally I think Nothing just lacks the energy and intensity that made their earlier work so great.

While these days they do play 8-string guitars (standard tuning dropped 1/2 a step - so F to Eb), the Nothing album was actually recorded with their 7 strings tuned down, as the 8-strings were still having some problem's ironed out.

BTW, someone mentioned Fredrik's side project... personally I prefer that to any of Meshuggah's releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
                              I prefer Destroy Erase Improve and Contradiction Collapse.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes sir those albums are bloody the best ! //Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X