No announcement yet.

EVH Has A Message For You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't jump on my throat, I'm the last person who generalise based on musical genres. look how you "analyzed" gwen stefani's music, kinda weak I think.

No matter what fucking style the music is, you take the chord progression or a riff or a vocal melody and play it on a piano or acoustic guitar and see how it sounds. If it sucks then the song is weak, if it doesn't suck, then the song doesn't suck.

For your information, Gwen Stefani writes majority of her songs, and I seriously don't care about her. Easily identifiable hook is a good hook. There are bazillion dudes who can write 30 minute prog epics, who cares, if you can't write a good tune over 3 simple chords then there's something really wrong.

And should I start seriously analyzing the bands you listed down. Uh c'mon.
    I'm a HUGE Gary Moore fan, I'm the best player who can cover his shit in my country...ask anyone. But I think 70% of his SONGS are friggin' lame.
    But his friend and follower John Sykes is a seriously amazing songwriter. He can write an album full of hits. He has written an album wich sold 20 Million copies, and it wasn't because of the fucking label.

Andy Timmons wrote some decent hair metal tunes with Danger Danger and sold millions, now he is playing tasty solos over not very interesting backing tracks, not a lot of songwriting going on.

Porcupine Tree tries to be modern day Pink Floyd, they focuse on creating a trippy prog mood rahter than greating big anthems. Some of their stuff is cool, some is pretty lame. Typical Prog fan music.

Sinergy is one of the most booring bands I've ever heard in my life. Somone else should analyze their music, they are just too annoying for me.
    Evergrey and Opeth does nothing for me, no hooks whatsoever.
    Haven't listened to Iced Earth and Rage since I was 16, I remember them as riff not song oriented bands.

Lamb Of God reminds me a lot of 80's thrash bands but they have one of the most annoying "vocalists" ever. Their choruses are still "look how cool riff I came up" not strong chord progressions.

Jorn Lande is a good singer, his songs, well maybe in '75.....

Early Savatage was cheesy as hell IMO, but a decent riff band. I really liked the last 3 albums though, the writing was better, the choruses were stronger, they had also a lot more groove too. Didn't Streets went Platinum or something?

Nevermore, cool riffs, they would be just another riff band if it wasn't for the Queensryche (the best songwriters progressive metal genre) influence. They have taken many many songwriting ideas from Ryche and Warrel uses a lot of Tate's vocal melodies. But they are not nearly as good writers as Queensryche was. Some of their songs could get some media exposure but I think they are a little bit too heavy for most of the people.

Tool was like a breathe of fresh air. The only progressive metal these days who GETS IT and follows the classic prog rock bands instead of endless wankery bands. Best writers in the genre after Queensryche, and sorry the chart unfirendly stuff is BS. When Lateralus came out, Tool was in the charts and MTV played them almost every single day. Tool was #1 on the Billboards, meaning the highes selling act in the world at the moment. They write great songs, have great grooves and vibe. They are awsome in my book.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Denny Crane
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• I really like Meshuggah, they don't write hooks, they are not great songwriters but they havea cool approach.

Last year I liked Ali Farka Toure's new album alot.

I also enjoyed many Japanese experimental/hardcore/jazz bands perormances.

I dig non-mainstream stuff too as you can see.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Free could have been 200 million album seller but they were a riff band. They had every change to dominate the world. But they only made one great song. The other songs were just cool riffs and ideas with great singing. Zeppelin, Aerosmith and the Stones wrote most of the greatest hits in rock history but they also had really good chord progressions, hooks etc. and archived more than anyone could dream of.

Comment

• i like disturbed. i think it's cool how that dude goes

WA-AH-AH-AH!!!
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• I like midgets.

Denny Crane.
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                No matter what fucking style the music is, you take the chord progression or a riff or a vocal melody and play it on a piano or acoustic guitar and see how it sounds. If it sucks then the song is weak, if it doesn't suck, then the song doesn't suck.
                That proves how great Slayer's Raining Blood was... Tori Amos covered that song (although much slower) on piano.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
                  I also suck at smoking crack, meth and cigarrettes compared to him.
                  I suck.
                  Yaaaay! Jumpies!!
                  Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                  Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                  Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

• Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                    i like disturbed. i think it's cool how that dude goes

WA-AH-AH-AH!!!
                    it's more like

U-WA-AH-AH-AH!!!
                    :ROTF:

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    That proves how great Slayer's Raining Blood was... Tori Amos covered that song (although much slower) on piano.
                    I never liked Slayer, probably because of their "mood" and sound, can't deny their importance though. And Tori is great

Comment

• When did this become the "what Endrik likes" thread?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        When did this become the "what Endrik likes" thread?
                        make your own thread noob :ROTF:

It doesn't matter what I like, I just wrote my honest opinion wich music is potentially "hit material" and wich is not. You are free to disagree but let me say this...If some big label like Geffen starts STRONGLY promoting some metal band who concentrates on fast riffs and solos and have a very typical metal band image, do you really think the will be huge? People have so many options to choose wich band's album they are going to buy, so why would millions buy a band's album who is just metal and doesn't have extremely good songs.

Most bands/artist on earth are rock. You have to stand out with something special. You have to compete with millions of other bands.
                        Just decent or good songs wont help, they have to be extremely good.
                        Cookie monster bands are out, because vocal melody is the most important part of the hook, without it you are screwed, monotonous dick in the thorat squaling doesn't make a hook.
                        You can get away with avarage songs ONLY if you are an image genius like Brian Jones was.

In USA those riff/solo bands have the smallest chance to make it, most of the US youngesters tend to like groove/hook oriented music, that's why hip-hop and r'n'b are big in US, they have groove and hooks. Most metal bands don't have groove.
                        The best chances are in Europe where no one really cares about groove. Rock/Metal music is bigger in Euro than anywhere else, write some really good songs and there's a chance you are a part of mainstream.
                        In Japan, MOST of the popular artists/bands are Japanese, only a few foreign artists are big there. Japanese do love technical music but you also must have good songs and a long career. Bands like Mr.Big or anyone who has been around for a long time are big, new bands are not.
                        New technical metal bands have a good audience there, but they are strictly metal fans.

Also, does anyone have any idea how many OFFICIAL PRODUCTS make it to the British radios' playlists?

It's

0,5%

and these are OFFICIAL PRODUCTS, meaning they are made in good studios with producers, they have managers, promoters etc. etc. These are not some cheap demos, demos have 20 times smaller chance.
                        And MAJORITY who make those official products are pop artists. So please spare me with the "every talentless pop act makes it" talk.

Comment

• Who is this Ed guy everyone is talking about?
                          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

• me. Remember? You gave me NAMM passes last year. Can I meet you at the same spot Mike?-lol
                            Thankyou for that last year once again.
                            Tommy, I mean Eddie.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

• Hey Eddie,
                              Sorry bro, I can't help out this year. I am not going due to my recent move to Colorado. Still in the unpacking and getting my shit together phase. Was hoping to make it...But no go.....

Glad to have helped ya out last year.

Mike
                              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X