New Steve Vai DVD...wha...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Steve Vai DVD...wha...?

I was gettin' down watching the new Vai dvd last night (a must-have by the way)when I noticed that on his pedalboard, he had an old Boss distortion pedal! With all that rack gear, new Legacy heads, custom DiMarzios, etc. he still used an old stop box for his distortion tone? I'm amazed. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: New Steve Vai DVD...wha...?

Its used as boost for solos and some fills. He gets his basic crunchy sound for his rythms from his Carvin Legacys. He has been doing this forever. He did while he was using old Carvins, Marshalls, Bogners, and Soldanos. With some of these amps he had a bigger rack than he has now! Its just what he prefers, its not that the amps can't do it. He uses diferent boosts some times, in the Zappa and DLR days it was the Boss SD-1, then it went to Boss DS-1, and from the last G3 tours I saw he was using a Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Comment

From my understanding, its not JUST a DS-1.

Its a DS-1 with the Keeley Electronics mod in it..

A VERY VERY cool modification.
      Keeley does them for Vai, Satch and several others.

i am fortunate enuff to have a DS-1 Keeley mod as well!
      they Rock!!!!!

Havent seen the DVD yet..

Im still a little soured on the whole G3 not coming to TX.... ANYWHERE.

I havent decided if I am going to continue to invest in their music..

I know, I know.. A pansy thing to think.. But I pretty distraught over the whole affair..
      Esp since I know several memebers on the tour and was guranteed a back stage pass...

I'll give in eventually...

Been wanting to smack Yngwie on the back of the head since he was in Houston a few years back at Numbers...

His wife was a friggen trip BTW......

Peace@out

Comment

Tell us the story vwall guitars

Ox

Comment

what story..The Yngwie one???

Its a bit wild...

Comment

Come on...

Ox

Comment

In response to what VWALL said, he got two custom modded keeley ds-1s, one for him and one for Joe Satriani. I don't know if he used them on that tour but I know he hasn't had them for a long time. This link has his setup for a couple tours http://vai.com/Machines/livegear.html . He has pretty much a similar pedal board for each and the DS-1 is in a couple of them. He has also talked about using a DS-1 in his setup in interviews. I wanna hear the Yngwie thing too, I could only imagine what it is.

Comment

On Satriani's SF DVD, he lead me to believe ALL his distortion was derived from his Keeley DS-1 (interview section). The Marshalls were run clean. His G3 Peavey setup may have been different.

Comment

What exactly does the Keeley mod do? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp:
                    What exactly does the Keeley mod do? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a bit esoteric, but he supposedly enhances the distortion, fattens and smoothes the original sounds and allows for additional tweaking. He upgrades some caps, clipping diodes, adds some switches and a fancy blinking light. Read more here:
                    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

I have his TS-9 mod and it's quite good. However, I never owned the original tube screamer and can't compare it to the original.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Todd:
                      Originally posted by Subvamp:
                      [qb] What exactly does the Keeley mod do? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I played the keeley modded DS-1, the one Vai and Satch have. It sounds really really good. It makes the DS-1 sound a million times better. It's not as buzzy. It really sounds awesome.

Comment

I'm very interested in the fancy blinking light. Is it a fast blink, or slow? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

The TS-9 screames. That's all I ever use as far as overdrive pedals go. I have an original from the 80's, and a re-issued one I got from a student of mine 2 years ago. The only other pedal I used was a Washburn Stack in the Box.
                          1990 Jackson Professional
                          1992 Dean ML
                          2004 Epiphone Flying V
                          2005 Epiphone Dot
                          2009 Fender Stratocaster
                          2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                          2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                          2006 Fender P Bass
                          2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                          1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                          1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                          Custom Pedalboard
                          ADA MP1
                          ADA FX2
                          Tascam 2488

Comment

Yeah, a lot of people use stomp boxes. There's no reason not to. Tony Iommi has a wall of Laney stacks, but he always uses his treble booster. The DS-1 is as close to transparent as a distortion (not overdrive) pedal can get, so a lot of guys use them for lead tones and such. Throw a GE7 or something after it and you can get whatever tone you want.

Comment

Working...
                            X