Iron Maiden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Maiden

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I just got to see the Rock in Rio disc.

I don't see the point in Jannick Gers( SP?) Aside from going overboard with theatrics and doing ballet moves, and making dumb noises I just don't get it.

Instead of playing 3 part harmonies or adding a rytym behind Dave and Adrains , he seemed like he was just playing the same parts as Adrian Smith.

PLUS, he was just doubleing Adrians solos on the stuff I saw. Adrian rocks, and I don't see why this guy was playing them with him at the same time.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Iron Maiden

They do some three-part harmonies together sometimes, but Adrian now usually does the Drop-D thing to make some songs sound a little heavier. Janick, after all, was Adrian's replacement, and on Bruce's first solo album in the '80s, so he's a good friend and they couldn't really kick him out when Bruce and Adrian finally came back. They don't really "need him" but he is a good player, and having a third player also thickens the rhythm sound instead of just the bass when the two others are playing harmonies together.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the only time Janick plays a solo at the same time as anybody else is during the first half of the solo for "The Trooper", which was Adrian's solo. I thought it was DAMN cool to hear it. It's like people who double, triple, quadruple, or even quintuple their solo tracks to make them sound really thick and rich, like Twisteramps did with his "Crazy Train" solo. Plus, there's a small harmony part in the solo for "The Trooper", and it was nice to finally hear how it sounds live. It almost seems kind of "empty" sounding after Adrian's half is over and Dave's half begins. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am really loving Maiden's triple rhythm tone deal with their last two CDs. Their sound is so full, so saturated with guitars. Granted, you don't hear Steve and Nicko driving the songs as much anymore, but damnit, I'm a guitarist and I wanna hear guitars. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I like Janick's neck pickup tone, a great tone for shred, but it's a little harsh when his pick attack goes overboard. It almost "squeaks" when it gets that harsh.

I don't care about his dancing since it's nice to see a little movement on stage other than Bruce and Steve since Adrian and Dave are rather static on stage.

Comment

Dude, I am going to do ballet moves onstage with my new band too. The thing where you put one foot up on your knee and spin around on your toe-I am going to do that while ripping up a solo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
          Dude, I am going to do ballet moves onstage with my new band too. The thing where you put one foot up on your knee and spin around on your toe-I am going to do that while ripping up a solo!!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have my utmost respect, sir! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Make sure you get some video clips of that maneuver... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I just got the DVD, and watched it last night. I was disapointed that they used keyboards AND and 3 guitarists. Why not put one of them with a guitar synth. Highlight for me was "Fear of the Dark." Very well done..........

Comment

Does anybody know if Gers gets 1/6 of the $?
              I'd kinda think he gets a lesser share... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Gers is horrible and is the ultimate gravyboater. He's sloppy, has poor tone and looks ridiculous on stage. Three guitars have also hurt them live more than anything. The rhythm parts are often a mess. Maiden used to have such a tight, well-defined live sound but this is no longer the case.

He's in the band simply because he's a "great mate." When Adrian left, Steve needed a yes-man who would go along with anything and not rock the boat. Now, he's just a charity case. Maiden are probably in their final tour. Janick is just along for the ride.

Comment

Well I saw Maiden last saturday night and they rocked. Janick is an awesome guitarist and he showed that by the amount of solos he was given. I think its great that he can run around like a looney, it just adds to the brilliant live show that they put on. Its great as well when he had a fight with a huge grim reaper Eddie.

If you have heard him shred on his own, he shows that he is a very good guitarist, and I honestly dont know why you guys give him a hard time sometimes. Its also great having 3 guitarist coz you always have a rhythm part when any of the other 2 are soloing in unison.

Great stuff. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Todd, I'm with you. Couldn't have said it better myself. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a slightly different take on this, but I think that while Janick does occasionally act like an idiot on stage, there are some spots where he really sounded good, as in the beginning riff to "2 Minutes to Midnight".... that sounded killer. But as a soloist, I honestly think he is inferior to Murray/Smith's output.

Comment

I think Janick is a pretty handy guitarist, I just don't like him anywhere near as much as Adrian. And the dancing round like a goofball wears seriously thing.

I don't care if Janick did come in to replace Adrian, now that H is back in the band he should pick up all his own parts again, and Janick should play more of a complimentary role. It seems that Adrian is taking the backseat and just filling around the other two now, playing more of a rhythm guitarist role. It sucks seeing some of my favourite Adrian solos being played by Janick when the man hisself is standing off to one side. He wrote the damn things, let him play them.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                          I think Janick is a pretty handy guitarist, I just don't like him anywhere near as much as Adrian. And the dancing round like a goofball wears seriously thing.

I don't care if Janick did come in to replace Adrian, now that H is back in the band he should pick up all his own parts again, and Janick should play more of a complimentary role. ...
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It has been said that Janick should just be in an Eddie suit the whole time. That way he could still have a roll in the band, yet spare us his playing. Dancing and prancing is far more suited to his "talents."

Comment

Janick's playing on Dickinson's "Tattooed Millionaire" is very good. It's not all psycho-speed-notes and sour-screaming-cat bends like his "solos" with Maiden. I think Smith should play his leads from the old tunes, and Gers should play his leads from "No Prayer" to "Virtual IX"...and since those albums are weak, that means Gers should just play chords [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Of course the best would be to can his lame ass...If you listen to Bruce's babble at the end of his greatest hits CD, he talks about how Gers was going to give up playing guitar until Bruce helped him by giving him a job (on "Tatooed Millionaire").
                            Thanks Bruce. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd:
                              he could still have a roll in the band,
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">role

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Freudian slip? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X