BB King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB King

I saw BB last night in Seattle. What a class act! The thing that got me is that his tone just kicked ass and he's just got his Gibson Lucille plugged into an old Lab Series combo. No fancy stuff - just tone pouring from his fingers. I hope I'm making a guitar scream like that when I'm pushing 80.

The second guitar player had an Ibanez arch top plugged into some dinky 1x12 combo (couldn't tell the brand) and his tone was awesome very warm and mellow.

The third guitar player had what looked like an ES-137 into some Fender reissue amp and his tone was very nice - kind of chimey at times.

These guys could really f**king play too. Man they sounded good.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: BB King

I've never seen BB King...but I had a similar experience seeing the great Chet Atkins live back in 1987.

He was incredible....and his rig was equally simple...him, either a Gretch Chet Atkins and a Gibson solid-body classical guitar and a Revox reel-to-reel in the corner of the stage.

He had such a great tone and was so fluid....

Note to others... [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] DO NOT USE YOUR PARENTS REVOX TO SLOW STUFF DOWN TO FIGURE STUFF OUT!! BAD BAD THINGS HAPPEN [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Lab Series amps are supposed to be pretty good. Ty Tabor used to use them on the old KINGS X stuff. Being as road worthy and talented as BB King doesn't hurt either. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Is this the tour with Jeff Beck? I know they were together recently.

Comment

Trivia time: What does BB stand for? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Blues Boy King. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

No, it stands for Blues Boy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I saw BB a couple years ago with Buddy Guy. He was awesome. For me, he is the ultimate example of what you can do with the right notes. He may be "too slow" for some people, but I am amazed by how he can say so much with so little.

Cheers,

-Mike

Comment

I saw B.B. King around '96(?) at the U of I Assembly Hall. It was a blues-fest with Kenny Wayne Shepherd and the Neville Brothers opening. I'll tell you what, for a 70-something old guy sitting on a chair in the middle of the stage all night, that guy can f'n play!

Comment

After seeing BB it is almost madatory to go our and get an ES. I did. I like the mini hums of the ES325TD rather than the full size though.

Comment

Working...
                    X