Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Randy Rhoads Story!

Hey guys,
    Just thought you guys might like to hear an interesting story that Karl Sandoval told me about Randy during the building process of my Polka-dot Rhoads guitar. He said that it was 1979, he had a knock at his door about six weeks after Randy had picked up his finished polka-dot guitar. He said that when he opened the door, there stood Randy, holding his guitar case in a daze just saying, "I broke it" over and over again. He said to him, "it can't be that bad" but after he opened the case he was truely shocked. He told me that to this day he has never saw damage like that to a headstock and neck. He said that whatever happened had completely shattered the neck and headstock. He had to use glue, sawdust, scraps, just whatever he could come up with to fix his guitar and then had to refinish the repair area, dots and all. He said that he felt so sorry for him that he only charged him $30. Randy told him that the damage happened while rehearsing with Qiot Riot. During the rehersal they were in between songs and just talking. He said that back then the strap locks only had two bearings in them as opposed to todays that have three. Anyway the straplock came off Randy's guitar where the neck meets the body. He caught the upper horn with his forearm but the headstock smashed into the concrete floor shattering the headstock and part of the neck. Just thought that I would share that with those that have never heard the story before.

Re: Cool Randy Rhoads Story!

Great story!!!

Now, if Randy had been playing a Steinberger, he wouldn't have had any problems...

Comment

If he'd used Schaller strap locks that wouldn't have happened. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Or a DiMarzio Cliplock - only they hadn't been invented [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Interesting tale for sure [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I did that to a Hondo Explorer copy.....................................on purpose! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Speaking of the schaller strap locks, that was what Mr. Sandoval put on mine when he built it and he said that was the reason. I guess he'd hate to have another one come back broken like that! ha ha

Comment

Working...
            X