Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Just got back in the office from purchasing it this morning. So far so good!!!!

I'll report more later...
    Occupy JCF

Re: Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Tekky,

when are you going to put the songs on Kazaa and let us ripe you off your $14? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Fong

Comment

Someday.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

In all honesty, I don't use Kazaa at all. I didn't use Napster either. I personally don't like either one. No, I'm not taking up the torch for Lar$, but there are a lot of struggling bands out there who can only continue if their albums are being bought by someone. Besides, I prefer to have the disc and the artwork that accompanies it.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

i think tekky said it all, it sounds like there will be some serious headbanging when they play it live next year [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . some of the riffs (and the vocals! those strange kinda distorted vocals that appear sometimes.....brrrr) sound like some numetal...im starting to worry about DT ^^. overall, its a pretty cool album, the only thing i dont like is that it sounds a bit like a approach to mainstream...imo. very mass-compatible (damn whats this in english, i hope i dont talk **** right now ^^) vocal stlye, but on the other hand it has some serious lead stuff going on!!

fragle

Comment

Man....John Petrucci is one of the premier lead guitar players on the planet....I have listened to DT since they first came out.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Truly terrific band, awesome live shows...

And where would you start with John....damn he's awesome. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I love the arpeggios and rapid fire licks he does....technically breathtaking. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

i own every dt album exept the 6doit and imo the trial of tears solo is one of the best leads i ever heard. very hard to play...and i mean very [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] if i had to pick the best dt album i would say metropolis part 2....killer riffs, even more killer solos, great sound. next comes the a change of seasons! very melodic playing, really nice. i absolutely love the lead of another world.
              technically, i think steve vai is a way better guitarist, but when it comes to melody john blasts him right away. btw: talking about melody: its so strange...mr. malmsteen says he is a very melodic player....does THAT sound strange? IMO, this dude CAN play, but live i'm getting bored after 15min....i always have the feeling that i have heard all this stuff before....and everytime i listen to paganini i know where [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                In all honesty, I don't use Kazaa at all. I didn't use Napster either. I personally don't like either one. No, I'm not taking up the torch for Lar$, but there are a lot of struggling bands out there who can only continue if their albums are being bought by someone. Besides, I prefer to have the disc and the artwork that accompanies it.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm pretty sure most of the metalheads are willing to pay for the "real" stuff. At least that works for me. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Fong-

Comment

tot is missing the same thing that 6doit was missing--memorable songs.

...and isn't rap vocals in a DT song one of the signs of the apocalypse?

[ November 11, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: ElectricPhase ]
                  This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I own every DT album released (and some bootlegs) and I've gotta say, I am getting into this album a lot easier than I did 6DOIT. I got it just before 10 today, it's now almost 3 and i've listened to it 4 times so far.

[ November 11, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Cool! I didn't know it was out yet. Now I've gotta make a trip to the record store to pick it up!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] My favorite Petrucci solo is Fatal Tragedy off Scenes From A Memory. Talk about shred!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] 6DOIT I really still haven't gotten into much either.

[ November 11, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Personally I've ever thought DT have been always overrated!Is it just me that find Petrucci a bit "cold"? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

I really like the new album! It's quite heavy and dark, compared to alot of previous albums(that's not why I like it, though). I think As I Am is on the border on being borin after a while. It didn't have to be seven minutes long (even though this is the second shortest song this is the one that should be shorter). It is incredibly groovy, though.

My favourite is still Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory. I never learned to love Six Degrees... But this is awsome.

Surprisingly dark for DT. Sometimes you even think it's just a little bit industrial.

I don't like Portnoy's lyrics. His plots are so obvious, and yet he is trying to be cryptic. He should try writing for himself.

Guys, if you don't like Dream Theater, then don't waste your time on reading this thread. Read something you care about!
                          I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

Is there a lot of 7-string guitar on the album? Petrucci is one of the best 7-stringers around, and influenced me to buy mine.

I am going to pick this album up asap, sounds great. It's cool to see there are plenty of good guitarists thriving out there, although not on the Top 40. Then again, screw the Top 40 anyway.....

Comment

Yeah, there's quite a bit of 7-string on it.

I've been listening to an 'unauthorized' copy for a few days, but I had to go and get a real copy today...mp3s are compressed and simply don't sound as good as the real thing, even apart from the issue of not taking money out of the band's pocket.

For me, this is the best DT album since Awake...not a cheesy ballad in sight. It's very complex and involved music, and only really catches up with you after a few listens, but it's great stuff. I was fairly disappointed with 6DoIT, and this album has me back on the DT train, so to speak.

The only negative I can find is that Jordan Rudess is way underutilized. Why have one of the best keyboardists on earth in your band if you're just going to have him play pads or doubles and the occasional solo? Early DT albums (all the ones with Kevin Moore) had a better balance between guitar and keys.

In any event, Petrucci is absolutely smokin' on this one. By the way, if the solo in "As I Am" seems incredibly over the top, it's obviously intended to be, since Petrucci wrote the lyrics on that one to be a big "F-U" to the mainstream music biz--basically, his declaration of independence.

[ November 11, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: pro-fusion ]

Comment

Working...
                              X