Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tone

hmmm...i liked lynch's tone on under lock and key...evh's tone on vh2...eric johnson has tone for days...same with srv...man...too many to list and i can't pick a fave...sorry...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I like Jerry Cantrell's tone the best, especially from Dirt and the few new songs that AIC did/redid for the box set.

Comment

Andy Timmons has the best tone I have ever heard. A close second, for me, is Nuno Bettencourt. I could listen to those two all day long.

Comment

Cantrell's tone is great. I also like Kenny Hickey from Type O Negative, and Dave and Adrian from Iron Maiden.
          sigpic

Comment

Oops, I forgot to mention Christofer Malmstrom of Darkane. His lead tone is just wicked.
            sigpic

Comment

AC/DC has great tone as well. Back in Black and For those about to rock have really nice clean tone. Def Leppard on Pyromania had some nice ear candy as well. Steve Via on eat'em and smile, and Joe Satriani on the live version of Hordes of Locust is superb!
              1990 Jackson Professional
              1992 Dean ML
              2004 Epiphone Flying V
              2005 Epiphone Dot
              2009 Fender Stratocaster
              2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
              2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
              2006 Fender P Bass
              2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
              1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
              1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
              Custom Pedalboard
              ADA MP1
              ADA FX2
              Tascam 2488

Comment

John Petrucci. He always gets a tone that I just love, be it lead or rhythm parts.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree

Comment

Heavy Metal: I would say post-Ozzy Tony Iommi. He was getting a crushing metal tone back when most guys (like KK and Glen) were still stuck with that thin crunchy '70s Marshall sound. All of the newer heavier stuff to me sounds a lot like what Iommi does, but without as much clarity. His EQing is perfect and his match of the right guitar, amp, and effects is unparalleled.

Shred: I'd have to go with Petrucci, as well, although I wasn't as thrilled with his tone on Six Degrees. Michael Romeo would have to get at least honorable mention here. Satriani on Flying In a Blue Dream works for me, as well.

Jazz: For clean, you can't beat Larry Carlton, I'd say. For driven tone, I've always like Allan Holdsworth's sound.

Blues: Buddy Guy is da man! SRV had the tone on his earlier records, but I don't care as much for his tone on the last couple of records--a little too murky.

Comment

Totally agree on Iommi. His tone is as classic a metal tone as there ever was. KK and Glens thin Marshall crunch I also like though.

I agree on Cantrell for recent guys, Bogner's rock!

Comment

I enjoy Kirk HamOmlett's soloing tone on St.Anger [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

For Death Metal, Nile has some great sounds. I like Nile.

Comment

I like MY tone... Well, sorta...

Comment

One of the coolest distortion tones EVER laid to tape has to be Wolf Hoffmann's of ACCEPT on "Balls to the Wall". That, at the time, was the heaviest, crunchiest tone I ever heard. The first time I heard it, it made me say to myself, "Goddamn, who IS that??!!"

Modern players' tone that slays would be PRIMAL FEAR and ICED EARTH. Godly metal tone that just is so full of character, power and overtones...great stuff!

Comment

my favourite would have to be ICED EARTHS tone. it's just so powerful. but i also like Alexi's (COB) tone and Michael Ammotts tone [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I bought Symphony X's The Odyssey a couple days ago, and I LOVE IT!!!! Michael Romeo's tone is fantastic! Some of the best guitar sounds I've ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X