Newstead with ozzy now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newstead with ozzy now?

Hey , that actually sounds like a good idea...I'm starting to teach Bass and ....guitar( [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] ) at my cousin's Music shop on Saturdays for $20 an hour....here's the catch .....I don't know theory. But he knows for a fact that "I'm competent" enough to teach... I'm nervous as hell but he says most of his students are novice players (Mel Bay books).

Well at least I'll get paid to learn in the process. That's a good way to look at it I guess. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Two things made me good on bass. One getting a Drum machine. Then latching onto other known decent players in your area and trading licks.

I hooked up with this dude almost 20 years ago that could slap the frets off a bass....I took a little from him...

Then I saw Tony Levin with a Chapman stick in '81 with Crimson and that just hit me hard.....Really Hard!!

[ March 19, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, that bastage Levin! Tryin' to take
      EVERYBODY's jobs! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] He is frikkin' scary; I try not to think about him!

You'll pick up the theory as you go, and
      most students need more help on technique
      than theory, at least at first. You seem
      like you have the demeanor to make a great teacher. It's about making the student comfortable and motivated as much
      as the actual knowledge, because they'll
      learn more and enjoy it more if they like
      the teacher.

Good luck with that, I think you'll kick
      ass!

Rich
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks dude , those are kind words . I'm still nervous as hell . I start this Saturday [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Of all the stupid , crazy crap I did in my life ...I can't belive I'm nervous about this...this is silly [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Back then when I saw that damn chapman thingamabob ....I thought I saw God. My life was never the same again [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I took lessons from a this shredder in the 90's for a couple months. He was a bit nervous but that was cool cuz it relaxed me a bit. He didn't pull out any paper except for a couple of tabbed scales. That guy always would say he was figuring things out as he taught allot of the time. I learned more in that few months than anyother time of the 20+ years I have been playing. He just explained things in a way that I could grasp and I would always go straight home and practice the lesson so I wouldn't forget it! Good luck bro, you will be awesome! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Thanks man ,thats a bit relieving to hear. All I can do is try my best. The kids and parents are paying good money ...i wouldn't want it to be a waste.

I hope Jason does well ....just to get some satisfaction giving the bird to Meatallica.

Hooking up with Ozzy would be huge.....man that would be awesome!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Get your owm thread you fags! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

J/K [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                GAYTALLICA - they should have never gotten rid of mustain. he wrote half there best songs.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mustaine.
                And if you knew half the stuff DM pulled back in the day, you'd fire his ass too! Talent or no!

The term "Designated drunk driver" ring any bells?
                [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah , Those guys where deadly afraid of Dave . They had to gang up on him to kick him out. ...He beat the crap out of Hetfield..(yes I watched the VH1 special) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

....here's the catch .....I don't know theory
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You probably do, you just know it in your own way. You may not know the circle of fiths, but you know that this thingy connects to this thingy...
                    From my experience it is better to have a teacher that doesn't know proper theory, as the teachers who do know theory always look down on you. "My theory is bigger than your theory" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . So try it, you'll help a lot of kids out, and get a lot of money. Thats what i call a win-win situation. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a great point, SMK! I was trying
                      to think of a good way to say it and you
                      nailed it!

Bill, guitar is a little different than other instruments in that it's pattern-oriented rather than theory-oriented. Many guitar scales are
                      the same pattern chromatically up the neck, wheras on other instruments a major scale has a different pattern for each key you play it in. If you know basics
                      like major and minor scales, those are what the more complex stuff builds on anyway. AS long as you stay a step ahead of the kids, you'll be fine.

Have fun and kick ass, TEACH!!!

Rich
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I actually thought "The World Needs A Hero" was pretty good. I liked it better than killing is my business.

Comment

Working...
                        X