kk downing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: kk downing

It was a well-photographed guitar at that time period (Vengeance, Defenders, Turbo) - basically it looked like an XTRR with beveled edges and those Heavy Metal triangular/pyramidal studs down the bevels.

If you listen to the rhythm tone very closely (as in really focus on it) on "You got another thing comin", it's not very gainy at all - it's actually quite anti-gain - like SRV or some 50's-style rock. There's some chorus on it for fullness, and being doubled gives it a heavy tone, but it really sounds like the gain is on about 4. Maybe less. Point of Entry and British Steel had more gain and still sounded heavy.

Painkiller and up did have a very horrible guitar tone - too much gain.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

KK didn't use that guitar until the Turbo tour. Not sure if he had it for the recording of the album or not. He has two other guitars like it too, one in white/grey and the other in blue. The white/grey one can be seen in the Turbo lover video and the Live 86 concert video. The blue guitar i've only seen in Jugulator era pics.
      The model was a KK Vector V which was quite different from the normal Hamer Vector V. Erm...it had custom hot wound Hamer pickups and a Kahler tremelo.

He had two Gibson Flying Vs and two Fender Strats for the SFV tour.

Defenders was a Hamer V he only used for that tour. It looked more like the Gibson Vs than his later Hamer mini V.

So the mini V was only used from the Turbo era to the end of the Jugulator tour.

Comment

Was anybody else at the Meadowlands Arena during the Vengence tour when KK took a header down those steps and knocked his Gibby V way outta tune? It was a cringe moment.

[ March 14, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: StukaJU87 ]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I saw them back in like 1979 open for Rush at the Long Beach Arena.They were touring in support of Unleashed in the East.They blew Rush off the stage.It was the complete Priest show with Rob riding the Harley on stage and shoving the mic up the exhaust pipe and revving the engine.For a 16 year old kid, that and the guitar solo's defined what a rock concert should be. Their tone was awsome for the day!KK played a red Gibson V and Glenn was playing a modified twin/Hum strat that he swapped for a black Les Paul Custom during Beyond the Realms of death.

Comment

The guy I bought my Beast from had a Hamer KK V with the bevels and stuff on ebay about a month ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2506655934

Comment

Bill & John ---------> tone snobs

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

For some cool studio interviews with Glenn & KK showing their axes:

http://www.judaspriest.com/video/

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

tone snobs... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Back in the SFV days..didnt they use JMP's, plugged into the 2nd input with a boost of some name I dont recall ran infront, I'm thinkig it was a treble boost?

Comment

For Screaming for Vengeance, Tipton used old 50-watt Marshalls and a Rangemaster treble boost, and he plugged into the bass inputs of the head. KK used a 50-watt Marshall head too.

Comment

if you look at those videos from 2001 in the studio they are playing through create heads. no wonder their sound is so horrible now. i have to agree SFV has the best guitar sound. althought painkiller is still my favorite, you couldn't here ian hill, and thats no good.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey thanks BoxC.. couldn't recall the name of that T-Boost pedal.

Comment

No prob...I got that info from an article on Maiden and Priest in an issue of Guitar World from last year-had Rivers Cuomo from Weezer on the cover holding a Van Halen Kramer.

Comment

I saw them open for Kiss when Sad Wings of Destiny just came out. They were awesome. My favorite albums are Sad Wings of Destiny and Screaming for Vengeance. I actually realy enjoy Rocka-Rolla and Stained Class and Defenders of the Faith and.......we'll you get my drift. KK and Glen had very different tones back in the early days. KK was more trebly with delay and distortion and Glen was smoother with less distortion. He has an almost early Santana type tone. The combination of the 2 dissimilar tones is what made them sound so good. KK played Gibson V's and Glen played Gibson SG's I think maybe a strat. Classic layered Marshall sound but with different tone and levels of distortion panned left and right.

Comment

I saw JP on the Screaming For Vengeance as well as Point Of Entry tours. Liked both shows of course. The then relatively new Iron Maiden opened for them on SFV. I wish there were real concerts like that nowadays.

Rudy
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X