marty friedman.......IBANEZ ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: marty friedman.......IBANEZ ????

Well thanks Shape Shift ...you just saved me $15 bucks....I can't have that kind of crap in my collection [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ March 06, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I defected to Ibanez today and traded my Kelly XLR for an Ibanez 7-string! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I still have three Jacksons and a Charvel. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] Toejam!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Someone posted earlier about him being in a mag with an Ibanez or was it "the" Ibanez, either way, post the pic if you can.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

You can listen to six complete songs off the solo CD on his site. I too feel it is his weakest yet and I have all his solo stuff. I don't really dig the guitar tones that much.

Comment

Bring back cacophony style i say marty. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

You know, if I was in Martys position, I too might sell out and endorse which ever guitar company was going to pay me the most. That doesn't make him any less guilty of selling out. Say what you want about Jackson, they never paid an endorsee to play their product. If you had a Jackson endorsement all that means is you get free (sometimes only discounted) guitars. That is why I call Ibenhad 'the dark side'. Another musician turned by the almighty dollar. My favorite guitarist is George Lynch, probably the biggest gear ***** of all time. You can still respect the musician and love his music, yet not respect the things that he does. It is shameful that Ibenhad and ESPee pay their endorsees big money, give them free guitars, get them hookers etc. all the time using them to sell substandard guitars to the unkowing public. Rest assured YOU will never get the same quality guitar from Ibenhad that Marty does, you'll just pay for yours. There are plenty of other quality guitar builders out there besides Jackson. Ibenhad is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalcop:
                    You know, if I was in Martys position, I too might sell out and endorse which ever guitar company was going to pay me the most. That doesn't make him any less guilty of selling out. Say what you want about Jackson, they never paid an endorsee to play their product. If you had a Jackson endorsement all that means is you get free (sometimes only discounted) guitars. That is why I call Ibenhad 'the dark side'. Another musician turned by the almighty dollar. My favorite guitarist is George Lynch, probably the biggest gear ***** of all time. You can still respect the musician and love his music, yet not respect the things that he does. It is shameful that Ibenhad and ESPee pay their endorsees big money, give them free guitars, get them hookers etc. all the time using them to sell substandard guitars to the unkowing public. Rest assured YOU will never get the same quality guitar from Ibenhad that Marty does, you'll just pay for yours. There are plenty of other quality guitar builders out there besides Jackson. Ibenhad is not one of them.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, the low-line Ibanezes and ESP/LTD's
                    are a lot lower quality, that's true, but the high-end Ibanezes are nice guitars.
                    I'll even say that if you can't pick up a lowly RG270 and make it sound good, you need to head back to the woodshed!

These guys didn't take a vow of poverty when they became musicians. Even when you have platinum albums, you also have huge advances to pay back. In Lynch's case only one Dokken album went platinum,
                    with total all-time Dokken sales of 3.5 million. That might or might not have paid for the avances, videos, tour support, etc. that all comes off the top
                    before the band sees a dime. No insurance, no retirement - these guys have to hustle to make dough even when riding high, unless they're Metallica. As for Marty, wasn't he basically hired by Dave? Did he get songwriting royalties? If so, I'm sure they're much less than Mustaine's or even Junior's.
                    You have a secure job with insurance and
                    retirement, which many of these rockstars
                    do NOT have based on the money they make
                    recording and touring. If George can get a dozen Randall RG100 stacks and sell
                    them off as "owned by G. Lynch", and if he NEEDS to do that to support his family, who are you to criticize him? I
                    doubt all the gear he ever wh0red is stacked up in an airplane hangar for him to look at! These guys probably have to sell a lot of their freebies to survive.
                    WE have no place judging them.

Frankly, if a teenaged poser goes in wanting his hero's guitar, I'm not too concerned about what he's getting, because beginners abuse their guitars. After a couple of years, you should have a clue as to what's good and what's crap,
                    and if you can't pick it up, play it, and
                    figure out if it's good or cr@p, it's time to find another hobby! The kids who're in it for real will learn to discern, and we'll all be buying and selling gear for the rest of our lives anyway!

Jackson is not superior for refusing to compete in the endorsement wars; they're
                    stuid in a business sense for not offering some $. Most of the guys who're
                    leaving had enough Jackson loyalty that they'd likely have stayed if they got a reasonably competitive offer, and would
                    have given up some $ to stay. Jackson is
                    stubborn on this point, though, which is
                    why the company keeps changing hands.

These guys aren't selling out; Jackson is
                    selling itself out by acting like a dinosaur in the marketplace. Metal is an
                    ever-shrinking niche market, and while
                    Jackson lumbers along grazing like a brontosaurus, Ibanez and ESP are ripping
                    at the carcass of Jackson. If FMIC decides to keep Jackson instead of killing it, they'll need to throw some $
                    into Jackson the way AMIC siphoned it off.

I don't blame you for being upset that all these guys are leaving Jackson, but
                    you're looking in the wrong direction for
                    the root of the problem. Jackson needs to compete with Ibanez and ESP before it
                    goes under once and for all.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ok, I'll be the bad guy here.

Where exactly is Marty's career at this moment ?? Is he supposed to get tens of thousands of dollars from Jacksons and free guitars to expose Jackson's to the club scene ?? Don't get me wrong, I think Marty is one of the most talented players to come along, but he isn't exactly on the cover of Billboard magazine at this moment.

Matt

Comment

I agree with you lerxstcat about the artists needing to make money and selling gear, ect. A guys got to use what ever means possible to make a living for himself. And face it 80's metal guitar gods aren't exactly a hot commodity these days. I could care what anybody plays. I buy what I like and can afford.

Although if Jackson where to start handing out free guitars left and right with hefty endosement fees, the cost of a new Jackson is going to increase substantially. I think Jackson has made a good decision. Should they increase sales and cost to the average player with dozens of high profile endorsements. Or should they cut the quality of materials used and cost of assembly to cover endorsements costs. And lastly screw the endorsements and produce a high quality guitar at a price the average player, not collector can afford.I vote the latter.

I dont know about you guys but I can't afford $3500 for Zakk Wylde. How much is a custom shop ESP Artist guitar? I know it isn't 1400. Ibanez high end models can't even be compared to Jackson. I agree that some of their comprably priced guitars play and sound great. But, look at the hardware. A low pro trem. What if jackson started putting those on USA's. Would anyone buy one. NO! I sure as sh*t ain't payin 1400 for a guitar with colored plastic inlays. Let someone else buy it cause their favorite endorsee plays it.

[ March 08, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Matt... Marty is supposedly huge in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear:
                            Ok, I'll be the bad guy here.

Where exactly is Marty's career at this moment ?? Is he supposed to get tens of thousands of dollars from Jacksons and free guitars to expose Jackson's to the club scene ?? Don't get me wrong, I think Marty is one of the most talented players to come along, but he isn't exactly on the cover of Billboard magazine at this moment.

Matt
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How many times has ANYONE in this genre been on the cover of Billboard magazine?
                            That's sort of funny; why not say he hasn't made the cover of People?

Marty's value is comparable to Steve Vai's as far as being a touring clinician
                            goes, which is where the money is for many top players who ain't platinum sales
                            artists. It's also where the endorsement
                            dollars have value for guitarmakers who want their instruments in the hands of the clinicians at their clinics. Players
                            know and respect Marty Friedman regardless of whether he has anything on the charts at the moment, or if he has a pop album out that doesn't do it for them.

Jackson needs to play the game to stay viable, or stay "noble" and gradually sink beneath he waves. I say this BECAUSE I love Jackson guitars and would hate to see them become extinct due to bad marketing strategy.

LRGman, I see your point, but I think
                            Jackson still has enough prestige that they wouldn't necessarily have to match Ibanez or ESP dollarwise to keep their endorsers and get new ones
                            but they have to offer SOMETHING to compete. Would you rather pay more and still be able to get a Jackson, or pay less until they're no longer around? Granted the ones you have will go way up at that point, but then there won't be any more. I don't want Jackson to go the way of
                            Studebaker and Packard.

Word, you're right; Marty's huge in Japan. One reason is that he speaks
                            fluent Japanese and can do interviews
                            without an interpreter. I'm sure they appreciate the respect for their
                            culture that shows, and choosing Ibanez will likely reinforce his popularity there.

[ March 08, 2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yep! A good player is a good player regardless of the number of Cd's has sold recently. I bet esp sells a of Korean things at those seminars just so Lynch will sign them.

The more I think about it the more I see your point. It doesn't have to be an exorbitant attempt to keep some high profile players around. They just do not seem to be trying to get any players. And, advertising is a part of marketing your product, as well as a cost of business. In the long run it is whether you have good marketing of your product regardless of quality of that product. Most of us got into Jacksons cause all our favorite players were playing them when we were young. Now that we are older we still dig them and can afford to buy them.

[ March 08, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

I'm enjoying the debate here! Question - Let's say you were a Jackson endorser, getting discounted or free guitars to play -- if any of you were offered money to play something other than Jacksons (let's just say an ESP, Ibanez or BC Rich), would you jump ship to do it? HELL YEAH! I WOULD! If it comes down to putting food on the table, making a car payment, or financing a new record, yeah - I'd do it in a minute. You can't feed your family by appearing in ads you aren't getting royalties for. I'd do it. Yeah, I didn't like seeing Lynch change from Jackson/Charvels to EVERYTHING else, but his playing didn't suffer as a result. You gotta do what you can while people still remember you - the music business is pretty fickle - you can be forgotten overnight - look what happened in the early 90's!! The music that put Jacksons, ESPs, Kramers, Ibanezes, and BC Richs were dropped like anthrax dusted letters in the Post Office. It didn't disappear, but I saw ALOT more Fenders and Danelectros on the scene in a big hurry...

Comment

Working...
                                X