Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo's (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo\'s (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

Dang.. Sharkeys closed too? I recall seeing something like that down on Central awile back.
    I've played the Chalet a few if not more times.
    Loven.. yes, I know Jeff.. I think most of the cities players do. I took a few lessons from him myself.
    When I first moved up to the cities I was in the Blondes,'84-86 which was rather good humor as I'm not blond...more of a light brown. It was either them or Counter Attack, and I didn't want to do a gig with them.
    After Blondes became Rockets Red Glare.. I quit, thankfully before NIBS burned down as they were the band there when that happened years later.
    I played in a few other bands, Identity Crisis, and the original inception of Eternal Teenagers before Lenny Dimancari (whatever his name is) joined on.

After that I quit gigging for a while. Still played at home but not regular. I didn't gig out on weekends as much as I wanted to as work was a little more demanding.
    I did a couple other gigs in early 90's, but they fell apart.
    In the mid 90's I started getting back into again. I played out jobbing with Raven Wolfe doing KQ stuff. I also had an offer from a former friend in Head East (Kurt Hansen) whom I met before I moved to the cities. ( I gigged in other bands from 80-84)
    He left Head East and was starting up his own band..sent him a tape, we made arrangements to join up in a couple weeks, rehearse and go to Sturgis for the first gig.
    Long story short.. by the time he got the material to me I only had 4 days left before I had to leave for Lake Geneva. which was where the band was being based out of (couple guys weere form Chicago area)..I had to many commitments tying up my time and loose ends to devote to a full time road gig that had an sketchy schedule. Plus 4 days was a cram for all these tunes.
    I bowed out.. needless to say, he was pretty pissed as he to play a debut gig in Sturgis in about a week. I guess from what I hear from guys in other bands that played.. they got canned. The drummer trashed the house set cause he couldn't use his riser.. that was the end of that gig...so it's probably a good thing I didnt go.

Oh, I auditioned for Lance's King Machine and CR. Lance ended up hiring someone else more well known and CR went 4 piece. Mike from CR used to play in Kings machine.

I'm jobbing about again nowadays again. I worked 2nd shift for many years so I really couldnt pursue music..but now that layoffs are abundant.. it's been handy for extra cash. Lately I've been working for Bugsy Segal band. (not the gangster)

[ February 16, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Re: Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo\'s (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

You guys need to start a hole new topic as this thread has strayed far off the original header. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, I was thinking that too.. it's become the Minnesota bar band reminiscing and whats people up to now days thread.

Comment

Dude,What are those olson strat guitars pictured in those shots.They look pretty sweet.Let me know.paul.

Comment

Originally posted by parntz145:
            Dude,What are those olson strat guitars pictured in those shots.They look pretty sweet.Let me know.paul.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Me and a friend made them - they came from two pieces of maple! My idea and design otherwise! They are solid maple bodies, maple necks with tung oil finishes, t-o-m bridges, JB pickups, and alot of sweat. I need to get some nut work done. I think I'm going to have to get some custom made, cuz I've had problems with them since day 1. Fun to do, although I don't know if I do it again. It's easier (and ALMOST cheaper) to buy guitars! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks!

[ February 16, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
              yeah, I was thinking that too.. it's become the Minnesota bar band reminiscing and whats people up to now days thread.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Geez, I know, but isn't it fun!?!? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Rocket's Red Glare - the FIRST band I saw at the Lyndwood - it was their first gig after all their equipment burned up! They were playing on a bunch of rental equipment and complained about it all night long!! BUt they were still pretty decent.

I do know Jeff Loven - I liked the Killawatts (I don't think they're playing anymore though). He and Kelly were a good duo - and (here we go again!!) Tommy D. on bass who was in Slave Raider after Nicci and Tish quit. Man, it's a small world! My (former) friend took some lessons from Jeff too. Maybe I should! I've never had lessons, and it shows!

Comment

So chris when are you going to do a production run of those guitars?And how much for one like that gray one?What brand of parts do you use neck and body?What do you buy the parts and assemble them?They really look nice.I would like one without a rev headstock.Im thinking of having gmw build me one.Paul.

Comment

I'm sure I've played most those ballrooms... Lynwood, was one, I know I played in the one with the extremely warped floorboards off I-90 just by the S Dakota border.. I think that was in Pipestone.

I remember all those bands, didn't know everyone personally but I knew Nikki before he was Nikki and in the Raid, it's been so long, I can't recall his real name now, I think it's Dave Hoffman. Todd Duane is a great player.

I didn't know Lance was doing anything outside of Balance of Power either, but it doesn't suprise me as his former drummer Steve left Kings machine to be with CR. The latest I had heard on CR was they had that guy from Jet Screamer. Speaking of which.. anyone know where Mike is nowadays? (Chainsaw/UKI guitarist) I thought I heard he moved out of the cities.

Where did you bartend at may I ask? I probably had played when before you were working. I did the local scene mostly from '80-'87

[ February 16, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Originally posted by parntz145:
                    So chris when are you going to do a production run of those guitars?And how much for one like that gray one?What brand of parts do you use neck and body?What do you buy the parts and assemble them?They really look nice.I would like one without a rev headstock.Im thinking of having gmw build me one.Paul.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heh... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No production run, thanks! The parts probably came to somewhere between $300-400, including all the hardware, paint, etc... The neck and body WERE NOT premade. Like I said before, they were two maple boards (well - 4 if you count both guitars) - 2 body blanks and 2 neck blanks. Bought at a local wood supplier. The fretboards were from Stew-Mac I believe - those were the ONLY premade parts. All the hardware was from Warmoth. Here's the link again: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chrisolso...uitars&.view=t

The natural one was finished using an enhancing stain that just brought out the spalting character of this particular slab of maple, and then about 4 coats of a gelcoat varnish, rubbed down in the end with synthetic steel wool. There are no relief cuts on that one - it's like a tele. The gray one is also maple, but the slab had no grain character, hence the solid finish. It has the traditional belly cut and armrest cut. The finish is that "Looks Like Stone" stuff you can get at any hardware store. It's SOOO easy to use. I did do a normal gloss finish (red) on it once, but it had curing issues - after two years, it never cured! It looked pretty good, but those kinds of finishes are WAY too much work - painting, wet-sanding and so on.

The necks were rough-cut out, truss rod channels routed in, the fretboards glued on, and then it was just a bunch of filing and sanding from that point on. I didn't have much to do with the necks. But I did all the finishing/assembly/setup.

Not a perfect project, but very playable, sounds good, and it's ALL MINE - there isn't another like it in the world! Like my cutom logo? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Really "Jacksonish"!! But I do think I'm going to take it to a "real pro" and have some nut work done.

Thanks for the compliment though - it means alot!

[ February 17, 2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Hey hey. Hell, what was the original topic?.HAHAHAH. I forgot about Nibbs. Hey what about the old Knut Koupee? I loved that place. Me and a friend used to go there every weekend. Met some great people and guitar players. Remember they made Princes original cloud guitar. One of the guys let me play it on the sly when one was in to get fixed. Damn I wish they were still around.
                      LATER!!!
                      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Yeah, it is rather fun re-hashing the scene.
                        There was quite a bit of speculation as to whether Gary Stark had did an insurance bailout for Mr. NIB's cause he was losing money at the club.. just rumors tho, nevertheless it was a huge loss for the band. I don't believe they ever completely recouped thier losses from that fire.
                        The drummer of that band is now a Dentist, which is probably a good thing as his meter wasnt to solid. Lance used to work at Nibs too.

Knut did some great custom shop work.. it was a one of the best music stores in the TC.

Comment

Working...
                        X