Criss Oliva gear, from someone who knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Criss Oliva gear, from someone who knows

I'm thinking that he used a Rockman into the front end of one of those Marshalls, with a few rackmount units for effects. Don't know which Rockman he used though....just speculating. I'm gonna try and email Alex Skolnick, and see if he knows anything.

Comment

If Chris Caffery will talk truthfully, he assuredly knows it ALL dude. He used Chris's rig for a couple tours.

He might, he seemed to be a nice guy last time I talked with him.

Comment

Ok...I'll try posting on the Savatage board and seeing if he'll answer it...he has his own section there.

Comment

Look here too...

http://www.chriscaffery.com/Index2.html

Comment

I get Criss's Sound Nailed with my 2205 and the Jackson J90c pickups

Comment

Being that's "about" what he used, that sounds reasonable.

Never tried j90s... I have a several J50Bs and the 1500 Preamps. Never got a guitar with 90s..

Your opinion on the diff between the 90s and 50s?

Comment

Ok, I emailed Mr. Caffery, he had this to say:

Mostly Laney Amps after Streets.
                He really osunded the same thru anything.
                He never ran the amp distorted.
                Distirted it twice thru Super Overdrives in the fron.
                Always had a delay on and used a rockman....rack mounted in the later days.
                Mostly for the unique tone in the circuitry.
                He also used a Boss chorus and some EQ's on the road

Admins, if it's not appropriate for me to post this email, please say so and I'll remove it.

Comment

Wow, what a cool guy to write you back so quickly. Considering how busy he is, I'm quite impressed. He was very very nice when I met him also. Sat and talked to Bill and I for some time and was extremely cool... Just like Chris Oliva was when I met him. That guy always had a minute to talk to a fan...

On the other hand... Jon Oliva became a tool after I berated Al Pitrelli for rolling his eyes and yawning while playing some chris oliva solos at a show I was at... At that time, people were really paying homage to chris oliva, and it was obviously bugging Pitrelli...

He's is such a ass... Sorry to any Pitrelli fans. But, friends of mine were treated pretty badly by Al, at a preshow party they won with savatage and he was a real ass at the show I was at also.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I figured it's better than making a new one. It's very cool of Mr. Caffery to answer a fans mail so quickly!
                    Well I'm in total Savatage mode these days, Criss Oliva must be the most underrated guitar player of all time. He should be worshipped on a daily basis! And Cleveland, if what you say about Al Pitrelli is true (and I see no reason for not believing you), then he deserves a proper ass-whoop.
                    What the FUCK was he doing playing in Savatage if he didn't respect the mastermind and soul of the band?? What a tool, this pisses me off!
                    That's like playing with Ozzy and going "nah, I never really liked Randy.."

Anyway here's a link I found regarding Criss' gear, it confirms what Boxcar Willie wrote, and a bit more. Hope this helps someone

http://www.geocities.com/savarequiem/gear.htm
                    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Well I guess you were "Tone Deaf" Too... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

P.S. After twenty five years of tweaking vigorously.........John is still searching for tonal bliss . Will he ever find it ??.....Someday...just maybe someday... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW ...Materofsolos to answer your question my "Oliva sound" is as follows:

JMP 1 ..Volume 18 / Gain 16 / Bass +6 / Mid -6 / Treble +6 / presence +3-6 / effects +8.......

....JFX 1 set to a usaual Van Halen slapback with just one repeat ....that's it!!!

Have fun

Later

Bill Z / Evilution

[ February 10, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                      And you guys give me grief over searching for tone, for 5 months?
                      I have 19 1/2 years to go!

Comment

First thing I did when I got my Boss CE-2 was dial in criss's settings and play the Hounds intro

Comment

Working...
                        X