Maiden playing Wayne Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maiden playing Wayne Charvels?

Oh, man - that's gotta be the ultimate in humiliation! If I were Adrian, I would go accidentally step on his guitar cable while he was blithering away and then take over when his signal cut out! [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img]

Comment

A Jackson Endorsee playing second fiddle to a Fender Endorsee? [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

They need Janick like they need a hole in the head.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Not sure about the Janick thing. I guess I haven't hear to much new Maiden after 1989. Anyway my son got the "EDWARD THE GREAT" CD a couple of weeks ago, and on an inside picture of the whole band one of them has a Jackson Soloist in the picture.
          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
            Awesome! Now if we can get Janick to own at least one Charvel/Jackson too, that's be wonderful!!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now if Kevin Shirley would only hide Janick's guitar during the studio sessions, that would be wonderful.

Janick "The Butcher" Gers - Hard Rocks' Biggest Gravy Trainer.

Comment

I agree that he is the fastest yet sloppiest of Maiden's three axemen, but I believe that the three-guitar-attack REALLY thickens up the sound.

Janick is a left-handed player playing a right-handed guitar. I think I'd be sloppy too if I were to turn my right-handed guitars backwards and try to pick using my left hand. Well... I'm sloppy regardless of what guitar I play, but it could be the awkwardness factor of using a pick in your non-dominant hand.

Or, perhaps he's just a sloppy guitarist by nature. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Janick is a long-time friend of Bruce and Dave and the band. When Adrian left to do his thing, the band called in Janick and they said, "You're in".

About the "accidentally stepping on his cord" thing... I saw a videotape of the "Brave New World" tour in Toronto (basically identical to "Rock In Rio" performance) where Bruce was tugging forcefully on Janick's cord from behind him, pulling him along, but the cord didn't disengage from the guitar.

I like Janick's dancing. It's hilarious. Maiden's members always put on a great spectacle. Dave sways side to side and solos with his mouth wide open and eyes shut. Bruce jump-splits off the stage monitors every chance he gets. Janick tangoes with his guitar and throws it around his body. Great show!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                Janick is a left-handed player playing a right-handed guitar. I think I'd be sloppy too if I were to turn my right-handed guitars backwards and try to pick using my left hand. Well... I'm sloppy regardless of what guitar I play, but it could be the awkwardness factor of using a pick in your non-dominant hand.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cop out! Gary Moore is another southpaw playing right-handed guitars, and he seems to do just fine using his dominant hand to fret instead of pick.

Or, perhaps he's just a sloppy guitarist by nature. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now, I think you might be onto something.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

He is inspiring though - if HE can get a gig with the Irons, then maybe I can too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Ah,but I'm also a left-hander,who plays right-handed,and my playing's sloppy as hell too!
                  However,that could just be down to ineptitude! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I seem to remember being told that Tony MacAlpine is a lefty who plays right-handed,so I guess theres no excuse.Come to think of it,Hendrix wrote right-handed,but played left...

[ January 27, 2003, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Snoogans ]

Comment

And then there is Michael Angelo, Ric Emmit, Mark Knopfler and Steve Morse. No slop there! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I think Eric Johnson is left handed too...boy is he sloppy!

I am a lefty that plays right handed..I can't imagine not having my left hand on the neck!

[ January 27, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: MetalChef ]

Comment

Okay, I don't really know why this is so complicated but... Can't he just play a left-handed guitar? (Unless there's something I'm missing here)...

Comment

Maybe he couldn't find a left handed guitar when he was starting out & just used whatever he could get his hands on. Maybe he didn't know any better, or saw that all his heroes were fretting their guitars with their left hands and so he followed their lead.

My dad said he always wanted to play guitar as a youngster, but finding a left handed guitar at a reasonable price in the early 60s was nearly impossible. So he took up drums instead.

After playing right-handed all these years, and getting paid pretty well at that, I can't imagine why Janick would bother attempting to learn left-handed now.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

No excuse... I'm left-handed and have no problem playing right handed. It's all how you learn/practice that determines your articulation.

Number of the Priest: HAHA!! That's funny as hell! At least Bruce was TRYING to pull the plug... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Good ol' Manic Janick. Used to see him in the clubs twenty-some years ago when he was doing Deep Purple & PInk Floyd covers with White Spirit. He was a Blackmoore clone back then but he was not sloppy by any stretch of the imagination. Does he still do the "Whipping the guitar with the lead" schick? My mates used to have the "Who am I now?" Janick Gers piss-take:

1) Stand with feet wider than shoulder width and Strat hung low.

2) Close eyes and rock head toward left hand on guitar neck so that you hair dangles over the neck.

3) Stand upright again and kick out right leg.

4) Whip guitar with lead while playing the main riff from "Smoke on the Water"

Extra points of you manage to complete the manouver without laughing,

He got the gig with Gillan after Bernie Torme quit. I heard a rumour that he's Ian Gillan's cousin back about that time.

He also popped up on some of Fish's early solo stuff. (Who? Guy who sang with Marillion. Who? Oh, guess you weren't copncious during the mid 80's then [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

Thanks for the memories - Steve Kellett
                              Model 3
                              Model 5A
                              Model 3B
                              Journeyman
                              Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Janick is a left-handed player playing a right-handed guitar. I think I'd be sloppy too if I were to turn my right-handed guitars backwards and try to pick using my left hand.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow that must be MY problem, I've actually been a left handed player all these years and didn't realize it!!! Silly me...

Ehh, nevermind, maybe I just suck...

Comment

Working...
                                X