Chris Holmes' yellow star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chris Holmes\' yellow star

You guys that are slamming WASP are limiting yourselves to the visuals. They had some kickass songs beyond the MTV fare.

Even the ones they had on MTV were better than the junk that Poison and Warrant and the other top hair bands were doing.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

wasp will never reach the level of songwriting or skill of bands i listen to!

Comment

Yes, you are right Newc.
        Who could forget such "classics" as Animal **** Like A Beast or that inspiring solo from school daze. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
        Sends shivers down my spine just thinking of them. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
        Anyone with saw blades on their arms and "Im A Animal" on their guitar neck should be taken seriously.
        I do like some of the songs, but those guys could barely play their instruments.
        They made some $$$ at it though, so they are doing better than I ever have. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

So what "ultra-talented" bands do you listen to, Mr. blackmetalmilitia? If they're black metal bands, as your ID suggests, don't bother listing them because everyone knows black metal is a joke far worse than anything WASP ever did...

CHRIS HOLMES RULES! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Thank you , Brain, I agree completely. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

A.Pulverizer - Technical ability vs songwriting ability - the second oldest argument in music.
            Certainly Paganini was technically brilliant, but he died penniless. Mozart was both a technical AND musical genius, and HE died penniless, but that's because he spent all his money on booze and such, whereas Paganini just couldn't make a buck to save his life (literally). That's the same story through the years, ok? Jimmy Page was the sloppiest guitarist ever. Guess what? You think it really matters? He's rich and happy and hasn't released a CD in 2 years, while all those shredheads who kicked his ass on scales and modes are STILL TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK AND WORKING REAL JOBS!
            Oh yeah, I wanna be a shredhead when I grow up and play music for other musicians [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Blackmetalmelissa - You seem to be under the mistaken impression that fast means good. Like most morons, you assume that "speed" is equal to "skill". While they have the same number of letters (5 letters, for the Death Metal fans), they do not share the same meaning.
            Hell, I can play high speed rhythms just as fast as anyone you can name, and I can drag a pick across the strings going "widdoo widdoo widdo" all damn day, but it sucks because all you need to do that is speed.
            It takes actual talent to write a song that gets on the fukking radio.
            Have any of those death metal bands been on *national* radio lately? No. Underground radio, yes, but we all know underground radio play don't pay the bills.
            Are these Death Metal clowns touring AND working their day jobs? Most likely. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

WASP may look corny compared to today's "Extreme Metal" [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] but obviously there was no one else doing what they were doing back then. Alice Cooper hadn't hit the comeback trail yet, and KISS was dressing like Bon Jovi, so WASP were the only ones doing a real live stage show. Yeah the costumes were bizarre and looked hokey with the saw blades and fire-breathing codpiece, but it was the 80s. Just like the 90's saw Slurpknob and Limp Assplug doing their "thing" on stage.
            And from what I've seen of Death Metal stage shows - standing in one spot, wearing all black, playing an all black guitar (with black hardware) so all you see is the guy's hands and dyed-black hair flying around - oh yeah, that's real entertaining - NOT! I could listen to the CD and get the same experience. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

WASP = one of the biggest influences on metal of the 80's. PMRC they started the ball rollin, warnings on records they were there when in started...bands of today lack inovation, and WASP had it..CASTLE DONINGTON..WASP sold the FUkker out,HUGE BAND, incredible stuff..speed HELL NO they didn't need it, the songs were just great."I wanna be somebody" a ANTHEM for the 80's,ATTITUDE THEY HAD IT, BAD ASS stage show...HAD IT, I have seen them a dozen times at least, and they always gave your money's worth!!Guess thats why Drowning Pool love them so much...

Comment

Yeah!- what Newc just said [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I saw the WASP gig at Donington, corny as hell, but what a show!
                Let's see some of those face-paint,church burnin'chimps play to 100,000 paying punters!

Comment

WASP was heavy as hell and they put on great stage performances. Over the top in spirit of the era. They wrote some killer songs lingering in between of hardrock and heavy metal. Pure escapism! You felt great after a WASP show.

Not many black metal bands out there I can say the same of. How could you possibly with all that misanthropia bull****?

Oh and am I to take cannibal corpse seriously then? "Hammer smashed face" ... come on man! It's all about feeling good and having fun, right? at least, that used to be the case (and still is for me).

What Newc said [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

On a side note...I saw the Song Animal F LIKE A BEAST mentioned..did everybody know that song was inspired by Sam Kinison?, WASP gave SAm his first gig opening up for them in LA, and when they heard his bit about his X wife being a beast and having to go home a F the beast, they wrote the song around the standup comedy...I know has nothing to do with the Star but pretty damn cool,Like them or Not..WASP were one of the biggest influences on Hard Rock of the 80's [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

AND WHAT NEWC SAID [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[ January 06, 2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: sdjacksonlover ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                      [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Newc mate, I dont see how insulting death metal fans brought owt to this. We know what kinda music you like, and Im not one to knock bands that are respectable (Ive heard WASP, thought they were cool, but I wouldnt buy all their albums. I just got a bit annoyed at that comment about telling death metal fans how many letters 'skill' had. Even though it made me laugh.
                        Mr 'bee in his bonnet' award goes to .........
                        Newc!
                        [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        James

Comment

WASP kicked ass!! They're still going strong today and still kick ass!. When Blackie sang I Wanna Be Somebody, he meant it. And he and his band did indeed become somebody known throughout the world! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          I think people need to start hearing more of a band instead of just one or two songs and passing judgement.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Newc and sdjackson, you guys have the right mentality. You are officially my buds! You have to be mature enough to realize that it takes more than playing:

as fast as possible,
                            as de-tuned as possible,
                            as poorly as possible, or
                            as pointlessly as possible

to earn respect in the music community, as WASP obviously has amongst us that know what the hell we are talking about. We have been through it. We grew up alongside Blackie and Chris and many other like bands / players that played from the HEART, not for the sake of being the "flavor of the month" that so many of today's "metal" (man, it seems so wrong to use that term when referring to those that the media dubs as such these days! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] )seem to strive for. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Keep the true metal faith, guys! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Seriously guys, and I'm talking about BOTH sides of this argument... Can't you voice your opinions WITHOUT such dramatic generalization? Yes, WASP is GREAT to some people, to others they're not.. But no sense in blistering the hides of those that DO like them. BUT the same goes for those who like Death Metal AND to those who like the Newer Metal that's out there today. To each his own, no sense dragging other peoples opinions through the mud all the time.

The negativity that it prevalent on this board lately boggles the mind.

Comment

i belive i said i thought they were lame. and no one outplays dave mustaine! mahhahahah. on a serious note, i didnt mean to offend anyone, i am a rather bias teenager.

Comment

Working...
                                X