"The " sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The " sound

I think it might have something to do with the 7 tracked guitars.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

EMGs sound toneless?!? [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] They sound different in every guitar due to the wood. I suggest you get your hearing checked! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] They are very consistent in their sound, have great clarity, but type of body wood, fingerboard and neck wood, strings, whether it's got a trem or not all affect the sound of your guitar.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yes, what toejam is saying is completely true...and the Metallica box set exemplified it...When kirk plays his rhoads, he has a more rounded, sweeter sound, unlike his floyded guitars...i mean, listen to the 'one' solo on justice, ****, it rips it...EMG's do sound different in various guitars

Comment

Yes, I agree with Alexi and Toe ... I have an EMG 81 in my 84 Rhoads and one in my handmade korina and maple Flying V, and they sound totally different!

Also, if you check out the vid "A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica", there is a section where James is demo-ing the sound of his amp with the main E chord riff of "Sad But True" in the studio (I think he calls it the "tent of doom"), and it sounds waaay different than the finished product, so obviously an enormous budget and access to any gear you want makes a lot of the tone you hear... kinda makes you jealous, doesn't it? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

It's VERY common for guitars to be stacked in a studio recording. The average Metal band will layer 2-3 guitars at at time. It's also not uncommon to layer guitar tracks with many kind of guitars to get a wider, fatter sound.
            Ex..Layer a Les Paul with a Jackson...instant extra thick low end.

Comment

So I'm guessing from what all has been said, that you have an extremley slim chance of even coming close to the tone on the album. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldnt say a slim chance, just need to layer, and experiment. They got the sound, so it's possible. Todays recording stuff that you can get at home is 10x's better than what most of the stuff we love was recorded on.

dave

Comment

I'm curious though...would you guys rather have a natural guitar tone on an album, or do you like it dubbed and layered? I guess I'm just torn between wanting a natural guitar sound, and then layering it to sound better. I just think that what's heard by me, when I play, should be what's on the album, no layering or overdubbing or things like that, I just think a natural tone would be nicer, although I don't know if it seems that layering it would be best to do. I guess I kinda see it as just covering up the real tone of the amp with recorded layers. *shrugs* [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Yeah, so who knows where I'm going with this. Any opinions on layering tones? Is it a creative aspect unique to recording albums, or should it not be? Or can we create the tones worth drooling over in the studio [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] and then have our natural, yet still kick ass, tones in live situations? Sometimes I think the tone live is more raw and raucous, and much better than the recorded tone, which in some cases seems too overproduced...too neat, and too smooth and dry. Anyway, what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure I'm finished now...sorry if that seemed a droning plea of misunderstanding. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

When I was recording alot in the mid 80's early 90's I would layer 4 parts and a lead/fill track and then double some or all of the lead. When we didn't have the time or the money I would do just 2 tracks and 1 lead/fill etc. I like layers with slightly different parts I think it rounds it out a bit more.
                    www.kiddhavok.com
                    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

lately i've been just recording 2 tracks one hard left and hard right, sometimes one right up the middle, way down though. gotta break stuff out into the stereo field to make it wider.

dave

Comment

Yea, Matt and I usually record 2 tracks each and we're almost always split hard left and right.

Comment

Working...
                        X