"The " sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The " sound

Jaymz mightn't make your Rage sound like a Mark IV, but he will make it sound just like Jaymz. I betcha you'd be left wondering how that little thing ever sounded so good.

Someone around here (on the old JCF) recounted a meeting they had with George Lynch once. I can't remember the details, but George was at their place, playing through their amp, and it sounded 100% GL. When he left, they checked the amp to see how he had screwed with the settings but everything was just as it was when he arrived.

[ December 17, 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: VitaminG ]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

IT'S ALL IN THE HANDS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The post-wh0ring hands!

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep i am a post *****

again it is all in the hands that is were it all comes from

Comment

NO!! i meant in terms of ooph of sound, cruch, fatness, bite..etc etc, its physically impossible i mean, its crazy to think that...YES, obviously it will sound jaymzy cause its jaymz playing it (technique-wise, and articulation of notes), but it will never 'have the same distortion as a mark IV', that's the point i was making..sorry for any misconceptions
            [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Ahhhh... Now it makes a little more sense! hahahah

Comment

ok ok ok

Mesa Boogie Quard Preamp
                with Mesa 295 power amp
                with a Furman PQ3

Comment

I lot of the sound from ol Black-y is great miking, amp settings (duh), as well as production. They originally chose Bob Rock after hearing the first couple bars of the Crue's Dr. Feelgood which itself has heavy-as-hell guitar sound without being too bassy or muddy.

When the Black came out, Hetfield mentioned in one of the mags that they spent several days just working on the raw guitar sound using various amps, amp settings, cabs, and mic positions...and this didn't even include post-production! Plus, everything is double or triple-tracked which helps with the "wall of sound."
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah..I think Ive heard that they over lapped/ layered the guitar sounds in the studio to give that fat strong sound..

Comment

Guitars on that album were layered to hell, plus bob rock producing never hurts... you're not going to be able to cop that exact RECORDED tone with an amp. Plus some of it also is Hetfield...

Pete

Comment

look... forget everything! get a mohagony or korina explorer, emg 81, and a triple rectifier! that is as close as you're going to get.

wood makes more difference than one thinks, then pickups, then strings, then amp tone, then speaker cabnet.

your brightness/highend comes from new strings, never set your amp sound with dead strings, if they are more than a week old and you play every day then don't set your tone till you change them strings!!!!!!!

[ December 20, 2002, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Dreamland_Rebel ]
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Uh, well I am pretty poor, so I pretty much leave one set on until one breaks, then I MIGHT replace the whole set [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I can get just as good a tone with old strings as long as you keep'em cleaned up and slick. I think is ridiculous to change sets as often as some do. And really, man, you could put an 81 on a fukin broomstick with strings and get the 81 "sound". If you have a 81 in you guitar whether its made of chesswood or plywood its gonna be pretty close, and to close to tell by ear at gig volume, plus recto's, especially triples sound like losse ashole to me; a big mushy mess. My quest for tone is neverending, but I guess thats what makes it so fun.

Comment

For clarity at higher gain you'd want EMGs. They may be tonally flat, but they are good at making each string noticeable rather than a passive/voiced pickup either adding grind, rasp, or other such common tones.
                            For gain, you need two amps across the room from each other, running into both at the same time (get an A/B/Y signal router or a stereo volume pedal in front of them).
                            I used to run my guitar through two sets of pedals into two Gorilla amps before I got my rack stuff. I ran into a Boss Super Overdrive first, set with the Gain really low and the output kinda high, then out of that via a 1/4" Y adaptor into an MXR Distortion+ on one side and an Applause Super Distortion on the other side. You can get a much fuller sound using two separate amps/preamp chains. Since I leave my MP-1 running to my recorder/mixer, I assign the input to two different tracks with two sepearate EQ settings. Each one separately is fairly weak but both together is great.

If you want Hetfield's exact sound, you have to be Hetfield.

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sounds like an interesting setup. And while I am not James hetfeild, Ive got one helluva right hand myself, I just want a a tone that will let me express just how solid my playing is, and not be too harsh when Im loud. Ive tried everything at one point except elaborate rack setups. I firmly believe the truest tones come from plugging into an amp and having as few things in the chain as possible, just cranking the thing, and having the presence just right. I like my 5150, but I know theres something else out there that I would love playing through. Besides a recto(sloppy), or a Uber(pricey$).

Comment

lots of layers....

as for the AIC dirt cd, he used like 3 totally different amps all sounding completely different, and mixed them together. thats what i read on a pro tools forum once.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X