name some modern "shred metal" bands!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name some modern "shred metal" bands!

is it just me being unknowledgeable or aren't there any new bands that do the whole shred metal thing?
    i'm looking for stuff that has nice shred-yet-melodic lead work that goes right into heavy speed/thrash metal riffs - no rock stuff please. style of singing doesn't really matter - i wonder if there are any bands that have this melodic approach but combine it with harsh vox?
    any recommendations? i kinda know about the older 80s stuff, but i have no idea if there are any modern bands doing this.
    nevermore is great, one of my favorite bands, but even nm has that atonal/dissonant thing going on, and i'd like to buy some stuff that still has real melody. kinda like megadeth "peace sells" era but modernized.
    thanks

Re: name some modern \"shred metal\" bands!

You should check out:
    Into Eternity
    Darkane
    Not really shred metal of the 80's variety, but definetly bands with awesome players who use melody very well, even for such heavy music.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Firewind
      Forbidden Evil
      Sinergy
      Kelly Simonz' The Blind Faith
      Outworld (Cooley)
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Good call on Into Eternity.

Someone had recommended Scar Symmetry to me for other reasons, but really that is what they are, heavy/melodic with a very good guitarist.

The band is not at all the right thing, pretty silly music actually, but if you want some blazing guitar the guy in Sonata Arctica just rips. I listen to the band occaisionally just for the guitar.

Did you check out Biomechanical? They kind of fit the bill here also.

Annihilator is another possibility. Maybe a little light on melody though

Comment

Annihilator are cool-Alice in Hell has great riffs and solo's.Night jumps queen is another classic.i cant remember who the guitarist is but he got realy good

Comment

Jeff Waters. He lives in my city. The singer for my old band was the original singer for Annihilator. I went to school with the original drummer for the band. I hung out with Annihilator in Montreal once, at a Testament/Annihilator/Savatge gig. Sat and drank with Alex Skolnick also. He was actually a little stuck up.

Comment

Prototype
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Dragonforce
                Cellador (a newly signed USA (shocker) band on metalblade)
                Dream Evil

Comment

Dream Evil! That was the name I was looking for, thank you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X