X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Rush tonight

Watching Rush right now on TV.

A recent concert in Germany.

I used to be so into those guys... until "Signals".. every album after that just got strange and unappealing.

However, right now they are sounding FANTASTIC.. I mean..wow.. Alex has some really serious chops.. Geddy has his wierd voice but nice bass playing and Neil..well.. he always sounds good.

Alex is playing what looks like a Schecter, with 4 Hughes & Kettner amps.

I honestly think they sound better right now than on some of the early albums. I'm really impressed.

They don't get much attention anymore, but I still think they were a great Prog Rock Band at one time.

Now.. why can't they come up with anything NEW.. thats any good. <sigh>

Re: Watching Rush tonight

Alex uses the 6 Channel Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKII.
    EL34 based. Midi controllable. Its VERY expensive. I have never heard one or even seen one in person. My guess is that its a nice amp. Rush is awesome and has always been. I have seen them many times live and Alex gets GREAT guitar sound live.

Comment

That's the R30 video. Fuggin' awesome. I love when they play Between The Wheels [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Geddy's voice isn't quite up to par on a couple of tracks (he quite noticeably cracks a few times during Tom Sawyer), but it's still a great DVD. Highly recommended.
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Yeah, I taped it awhile ago, kinda fun learning to play that stuff again
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I wanna see the R30 DVD I have the new Guitar Player Magazine and Alex is on the cover.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Now.. why can't they come up with anything NEW.. thats any good. <sigh>

[/ QUOTE ]

What do ya mean new? Vapor Trails was awesome, so is Feedback, and of course Rush in Rio!! Then it's their 30 year anniversary now too so they had to celebrate that!! Not sure sure if ya know, but Neil Pearts wife/daughter died within a year after they did the Test for Echo album! It took the poor dude a while to wanna get back into it! Who wouldn't!! And they are the best prog rock band out there! Course I'm biased cuz I'm their biggest fan!! Ya a lot of their newer stuff isn't heard much, but it is still great!!
            I love admins!

Comment

Rush could have hung it up after 2112, which is the seminal theme album and sealed their reputation as one of the greatest ever..but they kept pumping out incredible music for decades. I love Alex Lifeson, he is truly amazing and often overlooked, which is a shame.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

+whatever to eveything!! The Rush R30 DVD is great, Rush is great, etc.
                2loud - I agree the albums after Signals are bit hit and miss but definitely check out Vapor Trails and Counterparts.
                jg - i was in a cover band two years ago back in VA that auditioned a guy with a Triamp II. It sounded friggin' awesome! Check one out if you ever get a chance. There's actually a Alex sig. version too.
                JRTME - I didn't know he is on the new GP, i'll have to look for it. And he definitely is an overlooked guitarist. I just got my new G1 mag with Billy Gibbons on the cover and the next 10 issues are going to feature "overlooked" guitarists. The first person I thought of was Lifeson, I hope he's one of them they feature. Rush rules! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  And he definitely is an overlooked guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex Lifeson is the most overlooked/underated guitarist!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                  Learning any Rush on guitar is a challenge!! Or Bass!! Or drums!! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                  I love admins!

Comment

I know more Rush songs on guitar than any other band's songs. that was most of what I played back in the day when I was in my first years of really learning how to play. I used to put on any Rush album (on tape back then) and just play the whole thing. good times.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I'm a huge Rush fan and followed them since Caress Of Steel days. They are the total package. Surperb brilliant writers without reservation. Their work speaks volumes and speaks for itself, definitely in class all by themsleves, no competition. IMO, they are the remaining few great ones still around.

[ QUOTE ]
                      Rush could have hung it up after 2112, which is the seminal theme album and sealed their reputation as one of the greatest ever..but they kept pumping out incredible music for decades. I love Alex Lifeson, he is truly amazing and often overlooked, which is a shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Alex is amazing and definitely gets overlooked.
                      Yes, its a shame.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

was that on much more music? i saw A rush concert on that channel last night. Rush is wicked the first show i ever went to was the rush 30th anniversary tour. they're amazing live and a really tight band.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I know more Rush songs on guitar than any other band's songs. that was most of what I played back in the day when I was in my first years of really learning how to play. I used to put on any Rush album (on tape back then) and just play the whole thing. good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I still have to try hard not to throw in "Lifeson-isms" when I write my own material. Heck, John Petrucci doesn't even bother trying! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What's great about the classic Rush material from the perspective of a guy learning the guitar is that the rhythm guitar parts are so lush and involved that you can play them without accompaniment and entertain yourself for hours.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Yep, Alex is amazing and definitely gets overlooked.
                            Yes, its a shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

More so now than he used to be. I remember that he was pretty highly regarded in the mainstream guitar world back in the '80s.

I hear his guitar influence all over the place, even in very non-Rush settings--there were a LOT of guitarists who practiced by playing along with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures back in the day.

Comment

Some of Lifeson's solos are so hyperkenetic, he just flails and wails..I wouldn't even attempt half of them!! Free Will is a classic example of this.

However, La Villa de Strangiato is Lifeson at his absolute peak...when he finally rolls in the volume and starts wailing, it still sends chills down my spine.

I play 2112 at least once a week, to this day.

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                              X