Deep Purple, London Astoria 17/1/06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Purple, London Astoria 17/1/06

Saw Deep Purple last night at the Astoria in London. Haven't really been a big DP fan - the last album I bought was Perfect Strangers - but last night they rocked! Steve Morse was superb & the tone he got from the EBMM Morse sig. guitar was awesome - he played the new one (Y2D) most of the time, but switched a few times back to his old faithful. Might have to check that new one out sometime (damn GAS).....................
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Re: Deep Purple, London Astoria 17/1/06

A good friend of mine is the soundman for the support band that played - The Answer.

Did you catch them?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Comment

I heard one of their new songs on a webcast a while back & it really reminded me of their older stuff. It was pretty damn good.

Comment

SteveF - no, I missed the support. When we arrived at the Astoria there was a queue that went from the door, along the length of the building & back around the block - so we went for another beer! Got in just after the support played the final chord..........Must be pretty good to support DP though [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

The new Deep Purple album "Rapture of the Deep" is really really good. It kinda hints back to the '70s but doesn't sound retro--at least to my ears. Overall, it's probably their strongest album since the '70s, though "Purpendicular" (the first one with Morse) is great, as well. To me, "Perfect Strangers" was overrated--two incredible classic tracks and a bunch of filler.

I saw the setlist for the Astoria, and it's good to see DP getting back to playing mostly new material. Their last few tours had turned into mostly a nostalgia act, with just a couple of tunes from the more recent albums. They still have a lot to offer musically.

Comment

Working...
          X