Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the "the haunted" gear thread

hi

well....title says it all, lets collect as much info about the haunted as possible regarding equipment....guitar equipment, of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

all i know is that they used to use 5150 I heads, and lately switched to some type of krank amp. jensen used to use a valvestate 8100 head IIRC

any more info? pickups? guitars? picks? strings? string gauge? pedals/fx? anything is useful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] their sound is absolutely CRUSHING...always was

fragle

Re: the \"the haunted\" gear thread

When I saw em with Damageplan last year they were hooked into Peavey JSX heads with custom Caparison guitars. Although Jensen was playing a Les Paul w/ EMGs, but I think I saw him with something else in a more recent picture, just can't remember which. Those JSX heads sounded very badass that night, didn't look like they were plugged into anything else either since they were hooked in with cords, but could've been something in the FX loop behind the amp [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Last I checked Jensen had a Gibson Les Paul with EMGs and a white ESP Les Paul with EMGs, and Anders was playing his Caparison carved top PRS looking thing, he used to use this strange Ibanez Maxxas or something.

http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/f0rbidden/pictures/

There's some live pics I took a few year back....

Comment

I don't know what they use right now on tour exactly but I will try to get to that. Up to the last album.

Anders:
        Several Caparison Angeluses(the main ones being his white and black Angeluses with reverse Iommi inlays) with EMG 81 on the bridge
        A Fender strat with all singles for some leads(with an EMG single on the bridge)
        5150 II

Jensen:
        Gibson Black Les Paul Custom with EMG 81 on the bridge
        ESP White Les Paul Custom with EMG 81 on the bridge
        Fernandes Strat with EMG 81 on the bridge
        5150 I

The Shadows Fall tour they toured with JSX heads(don't remember the cabs), Anders with his black Angelus, Jensen with his Gibson LPC with the Gibson logo taped off.

This last tour they have Krank Revolution(I think?!) heads through Framus v30 cabs. Anders still plays his Black Angelus, Jensen his ESP EX. Although in the No Compromise video he is playing an Urban Camo ESP Viper Standard.

I think the main part of their crushing rhythm sound is EMG 81. That is how they record rhythms. As far as I know, no pedals. Straight into 5150 I and 5150 II.

I am hoping to see them in October supporting Meshuggah and will make sure to see/ask what they use nowadays!

Comment

There is some more info here about the strings and the other guitars Jensen has a Fender Strat and a white Charvel. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Looks like Jensen uses D'addario 10-52s and Björler some DR strings.

http://cyklode.se/haunted/doc/members/members.htm

I also remember Jensen saying in an interview that one thing all his guitars have in common is the EMG 81 in the bridge. So I am pretty sure all the guitars I have listed above have 81s, not so sure about the Fender and Charvel because I never saw them. Most of the times in his guitars neck pickups are passive and disconnected. As he is strictly a rhythm player, my favorite one at that,(Anders plays all the leads) I think that is pretty reasonable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I think the main part of their crushing rhythm sound is EMG 81. That is how they record rhythms. As far as I know, no pedals. Straight into 5150 I and 5150 II.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Didn't one of them use one of those little mini Marshall 15-watt solid state stacks on the album, too? I thought I remember reading something about that.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Didn't one of them use one of those little mini Marshall 15-watt solid state stacks on the album, too? I thought I remember reading something about that.

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Are you sure you are not talking about the Carcass - Heartwork album where the rhythm sound is 5150 mixed with 15-watt solid state Marshall practice amp?!!

Comment

Ah, maybe am thinking of Carcass then. My bad.
                I had two of those mini Marshall stacks... they're pretty cool. One I sold here to Brad, the other I just got back from my cousin and I'm thinking of gutting it and having Pete mod it with some tubes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Also hate to Cap'n Obvious here, but up to rEVOLVEr they used to tune down half-step to Eb, on Revolver they tune down 2 steps to D Standard.

Comment

Wasn't the first album E and then The Haunted Made Me Do It Eb? I know One Kill Wonder was D.

Comment

wow, you guys are fast and helpful - as always
                      you rock [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

well, i KNOW i was reading an interview that said they recorded only 2 tracks (1 left 1 right) for revolver (my second fav. haunted record actually....made me do it is nr. 1). so basically what you guys are saying is that any emg81 loaded guitar straight into a 5150 I or II head could give me or at least get me close to that revolver rhythm guitar sound?
                      sweet....oh geez, i feel a certain urge hitting again...ebay here i come [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        wow, you guys are fast and helpful - as always
                        you rock [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

well, i KNOW i was reading an interview that said they recorded only 2 tracks (1 left 1 right) for revolver (my second fav. haunted record actually....made me do it is nr. 1). so basically what you guys are saying is that any emg81 loaded guitar straight into a 5150 I or II head could give me or at least get me close to that revolver rhythm guitar sound?
                        sweet....oh geez, i feel a certain urge hitting again...ebay here i come [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Yeah, actually rEVOLVEr is also my second fav. Haunted album(the self-titled being my favorite) too! Just like you said, it is just Jensen with his 5150 on the left and Anders with 5150 II(guessing the sides by how they play songs at live shows from here, for example 99 where Jensen plays the intro "Slayer-riff" alone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I am definitely getting a 5150 at some point down the road, I just don't have place for a half-stack nowadays though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

" am definitely getting a 5150 at some point down the road, I just don't have place for a half-stack nowadays though."

and i already have two of them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] a third would be overkill...but then again, once a very wise fellow jcf-er said "you can't have enough amps" [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            " am definitely getting a 5150 at some point down the road, I just don't have place for a half-stack nowadays though."

and i already have two of them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] a third would be overkill...but then again, once a very wise fellow jcf-er said "you can't have enough amps" [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            So you are hitting the 'bay for an 81? [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

81?? nah, i meant i already have two half stacks, not two 5150s [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X