Tony Iommi on the cover...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Iommi on the cover...

of the current (Aug.'05) issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Interview (haven't read it yet) and pix of his axes too.

Thought some of you might like to know...

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Tony Iommi on the cover...

Saw it--awesome pic of him in action with his custom JayDee SG, from what looks to be the '84 Born Again tour. I'd love to have that pic of him made into a poster, actually.

Read the interview, which has some interesting tidbits about some of his guitars that you don't hear about much. Like the fact that he owns (and records with) Les Pauls. He doubles some of his rhythm parts with Les Pauls in order to have different-sounding guitars doing the doubling. He also recorded one song on his upcoming "Fused" album with a Stratocaster--the first time he's used one in the studio since the first Sabbath album.

Also, sadly, that awesome white SG Custom that he used on the Paranoid album was stolen from him--I hadn't known that.

Comment

wow, me nether, talk about a possible find in a pawn shop someday.

Comment

You can listen to the entire Fused album (for the moment, at least) streaming from Best Buy's site. They made a mistake, since it's supposed to just be 30 sec. snippets. Anyway, here's the link: Fused samples

As a long time Iommi fanatic, I have to say that this might be his best work since Mob Rules. I do love the Eternal Idol and Headless Cross albums a lot, but Fused just has some amazing writing and riffing on it--and a couple of really great guitar solos, as well. And the good news is that Iommi apparently intends to keep working with Glenn Hughes and Kenny Aronoff as an ongoing band project. I wish that there would be a new Sabbath album, but this is great news, regardless of whether that ever happens.

Comment

I think it's better to quit 'shaking the Sabbath Baby' with all of the different singers.

It's become evident that Iommi/Geezer are sabbath and Ozzy is a cool theme for people to write songs for, but I'd prefer to not water Sabbath down.

I do love born again, the Dio stuff is their best IMHO, Who can deny Ozzy material, and Glenn hughes material is strong. Just doesn't feel Sabbathy.

I think working with Hughes is awesome and not calling it Sabbath is Mucho Awesomer! Can't wait to buy this one. Oh and I hope Tony makes it to Tejas too!
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Iommi rules. I've got his signature pickup in my guitar right now. It fucking kills for distortion or clean. I picked up the paranoid album a while ago, and I found out that I have partially that kind of sound to my soloing (when I stay away from anything above the 12th fret, that is). I'd never listened to Paranoid or any of the other songs before, but the way I played and bent my notes was slightly reminiscent of his playing. I wonder what his sig Laney amp sounds like...

Comment

Sabbath is what started it all for me, and IMO they paved the way for all things heavy. I met Iommi a couple of years back and he was very cool.

Comment

If I wasn't a Christian, Tony Iommi would be my God [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But, as it is, he lost out on that one (and something tells me I've got a much better deal) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've got a chrome Iommi in my Cracked Mirror Warrior - all I need is a chrome Floyd and chrome knob and I'm set to blast Light and Darkness all at once [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My Iommi pickup? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I miss it already [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That truly is one badass pickup.

I just listened to Born Again, Trashed, and All moving parts and Into the Void. ITV sounds like it is the basis for every great Pantera Riff.

At Ozzfest 2004 into the Void became my favorite concert moment of all time! If you haven't experienced that song live, Iommi just Jams, the whole band kills on that one.
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I just listened to Born Again, Trashed, and All moving parts and Into the Void. ITV sounds like it is the basis for every great Pantera Riff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pantera and COUNTLESS others!

IOMMI kicks ass [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                    Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                    Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      IOMMI kicks ass [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1! Had the new album playing all day and all I can say is, "Damn!" The songwriting sounds a bit like a heavier version of The Eternal Idol & Iommi's tone & playing on the solos are very reminiscent of the Heaven & Hell / Mob Rules era. Just a *killer* album of the type I thought no one recorded anymore. Minor nitpick: it's a bit plodding/brooding, I'd like to hear a couple of more uptempo pieces but still one heck of an album.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I can honestly say that I like all Sabbath "eras". Granted, it's a different Sabbath each time - but Tony always manages to crank out something that is worth listening to. =)

Comment

Anybody else dig the "Never Say Die" record?

Comment

Yup. Johnny Blade! That slower break in it kicks ass - Metal CAN have a groove [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Never Say Die album is some of Tony's best work, in my opinion. His solo on "Air Dance" is still one of my favorites.

Comment

Working...
                              X