Judas Priest sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judas Priest sound

whats the secret to create the defenders, screaming, east sound?

I have a Marshall DSL401 and I want that sound? the sound on You've got another thing comin is just fucking brutal!!! but whats the secret?

Re: Judas Priest sound

Check out the page below, but i believe back in that time they were using JCM800's.
    http://members.firstinter.net/markster/PROFILE2.html

Comment

In that site it doesn;t say anything about the eq settings and stuff like that.

Comment

yeah sorry i cant help you there, you also have to remember alot of there sound also comes from there guitar, pickups and effects, so there is alot. The best you can do it sit down and experiment.

Comment

I know that the mids are up and I have mu eq like that, but there sound is very of there own. there has to be a secret.

Comment

I remember reading an interview with KK and Glenn,had to be back in the Screaming days..They mentioned having custom made treble boosts that allowed them to play through the bass heads....sounds goofy as hell,but I swear my kid's lives on it....well..I have 3 teenage daughters,so you'll have to take that at face value....
            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

along these lines - i saw these guys tonight with queensryche.

if you were ever a JP fan, and you have the chance to see them, GO!

i was completely floored. the music dead spot on for what you would think - musically, they were tight as hell. when halford came out i was a little worried. it took him all of about a minute to warm up, they opened with electric eye, once he got warm , OMG.

i cannot think of a single rocker, that has as much of his throat as halford does. if you have the newc CD , that is EXACTLY what he sounds like live. They played Exciter, Diamonds and Rust, it was awesome.

GO!

Comment

They played JMPs, plugged into the normal channel using Dallas Rangemaster treble boosters. I haven't read the article in about twenty years, but I recall reading the article in GP and I believe that was it. Back in the seventies, treble boost was pretty hot item. It is similar in theory to like a top boost on a Vox I believe. The normal channel was like running a 'deep' voicing you find on other amps, it really filled out thier sound.

Comment

TY Charvelguy....My memory ain't in tip top shape...
                  Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Listen closely to the opening parts of "You've Got Another Thing Coming" - there's almost NO GAIN on the guitars (some 70's-style fuzz?) and the bass is in there laying down the root notes.

2 guitars with low-medium gain and a round, thumping bass playing in dead-on sync will always be heavier than one ultra-gain amp dimed out. Period.

[ QUOTE ]

if you have the newc CD , that is EXACTLY what he sounds like live

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll take that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wish i could get the sound they were using on jugulator, o realy liked it.Usually i dont like high gain settings but
                      i liked it on that album.

Comment

I think you will be extremely close using a stock Marshall JCM800. Priests guitar tone is actually a very clean Marshall crunch. You might even have to dial the gain down a bit on your 2203/4!!

Comment

Maybe I am crazy, but when I play priest riffs, I turn on a phaser at between 1-3 It seems to add a cool little oddity to the grind. Anyone else try this?
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Yes , you are talking about the classic priest sound , but on jugulator they changed their sound , and added a lot of gain

Comment

I think on classic Priest, it's just JCM-800s, LOUD, with some kind of OD pedal. The other current big Priest thread has a link to a JP gear list that mentions 9201 Series Marshall JCMs, but I'm not a big Marshall guy, so I don't know how meaningful that is. On the '90s stuff, didn't they switch to Rocktron Piranhas?

For the new album, in an interview KK said they went back to the old gear, which he said sounded fantastic through modern recording equipment--and the sonic evidence on the album backs him up.

Comment

Working...
                              X