Stabbing the Drama - Soilwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabbing the Drama - Soilwork

What does anyone else think of this? I just grabbed it a couple days ago. I listened to a couple tunes in the car, they seemed alright. Maybe a little uninspired. The production seemed a little off too. I need to listen to it more though, to get a better idea.

Re: Stabbing the Drama - Soilwork

Nice CD, but their vocals are really leaning towards gayness these days. Don't get me wrong, I like melodic vocals, but a couple of the tunes on this new one are just hard to listen to.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Heh Same with Figure Number Five really. After the title track things took a downturn. I ended up mostly liking it though. With this one I had the feeling they could really go the wrong way with it, they seem to be trying real hard to be more popular. Who will they appeal to? Extreme metal fans will find them gay and pop fans will think they are too heavy. I think they are heading for no mans land. Waste of a good band.
      Same with anything you are trying to sell I guess: know your customer. They seem a little confused about that right now.
      How long has this been out? I didn't really notice it was released.

Comment

They are following the footsteps of In Flames..

a horrible attempt to appeal to Americans..

but I think they both shot themselves in the dick doing so..

I remember In Flames trying to dress in white jump suites a few years ago...that flopped!

If you want to know what these bands are trying to sound like ..I have only four words to say..

"For Comfort.....For Solace...."

[img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

got the disc, can't put myself to listen to it regularly...

Comment

This is the first Soilwork release I've skipped. I bought FNF and basically only play it if I'm in the car on a long drive with someone who's not into the growled vocals.

Maybe they want to be a Swedish emo band...Squeamocore? [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
            sigpic

Comment

It's not bad. I like the last 2 more than this one. I think this one suffers from too many songs sounding the same and not enough guitar solos. The last 2 records have more variety.

Comment

They will never top predator's portrait.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  They will never top predator's portrait.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they will never match it either. Unfortunately they've lost me as fan. Same with N*FLAMES ooops sorry I mean IN FAMES... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

"Maybe they want to be a Swedish emo band...Squeamocore?"

I think so too...what a shame , Soilwork was so original and kick ass...there is a few moments to STD...but very very few....I hope they eventually drop the stupid bullshit..as well as In Flames.

Fortunately there is quite a few swedish / finnish bands that has picked up where Soilwork left off ...when they were cool...

Funny thing is whenever one of these Soilwork / Darkane ?In Flames..and so on ..do a side project or whatever such as Terror 2000 , Disharmonia Mundi , Defaced , Constructdead Vicious etc....it sounds more along the lines of their traditional style..I don't know why that is..

it's usualy the other way around ...band members do side projects to expand themselves outside of thier band's formula..like a change of scenery..

Whatever the case is..I want my Soilwork back!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

BTW..Doesn't anyone else think this emo-trend bullshit bled over to the Haunted camp as well...Revolver is pretty weak and The Haunted ALWAYS kicked my ass...until now...It's OK ...But the Haunted was always more than just OK to me..

It's a Homofag epidemic!!! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'm high.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't think it'd be nearly as much of a stretch for In Flames to "return to form" as it would for Soilwork. In Flames was never a highly technical band, so I think that putting the emphasis back on the guitars would be a good first step. Anders had a good growl I think, which he should go back to using. Then, drop the horrid distorted bass and electronica and see what happens. Soilwork, on the other hand, may have set the bar too high for themselves back around Chainheart and Portrait. The aggression and complexity have fallen by the wayside, and would require a lot of effort to bring back to the same level.

As for The Haunted, I read a number of reviews saying that One Kill Wonder sounded too much like ...Made Me Do It, so maybe they decided to do an album more centered around Dolving's vocals than the debut. Hell, maybe they wanted to shed some of the At the Gates comparisons. I don't know. I like Revolver, but not for the same reasons I like the other albums. "Abysmal" is one of my favorites by `em, oddly enough.
                      sigpic

Comment

In Flames has claimed several times that the album they're currently workign on will have "more guitar harmonies and melodies..than the previous STYE"

that's quite promising actually. Anything harmonized or melodic woudl be an improvement to that piece of garbage.

I liked STYE upon the first listen or 2 but it wore off fast. It has no playback value at all.

Comment

N'Flames I have no hope for whatsoever. Soilwork will never put out another like Portrait, but maybe if this cd tanks they will reconsider and give up with the White Lion choruses. Now that I have heard the new one a couple times it's pretty sad.
                          The Haunted I still think is kickass. Peter Dolving is the best, such an aggressive vocalist, I love the guys voice. rEVOLVEr was different but I though they pulled it off.

Comment

rEVOLVEr just didn't kick me in the dick , like they always do...Jensen is one of my very favorite riffmeisters...he speaks my language..I like The Haunted for the riffage ...due to Jensen really...I love his Witchery...and Frozen Sun...rEVOLVEr far from sucks and is no where near as bad as the new soilwork or In Flames...

but I see alot of heavy hitters dropping the ball lately and trying to add clean vox and "melody" to their styles...and it is not the same to me..it doesn't "fit" to me..it is not what I want or expect from a band like Soilwork..

I understand "progression" the need to expand and all that ..not wanting to put out the same album out all the time...but stay who you are..

I bet the labels have too much say in this...that may be a problem..this whole Emo-shit is huge now with the kiddies..which is a lot fucking better than that ebonic plague I had to endure for over a decade..Century Media..and Nuclear Blast is signing a lot of this emo / metal /core stuff..and even worse..I found a new Nuclear Blast release for a buck called "The Farmer Boys"...man does it SUCK...it sounds like emo-pop...not even close to metal....so be careful when taking a risk or chance on a band just because they are on one of your favorite "metal" labels.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

BTW ...I don't really mind who sings for the Haunted...I like da riffs..Tom Linberg is the voice of Swedish Thrash to me...At The Fucking Gates man!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

you guys need to actually check out some really bad shit.

Soilwork and In Flames are still godly compared to all the crap that I keep seeing on Headbanger's ball. all that metalcore shit. they shit all over that shit.

though I do think they forget to wipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X