New Dream Theater...thoughts anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dream Theater...thoughts anyone?

Other then the 1st song, im just not feeling this c.d. Am i the only one? I gotta admit, i liked James Labries new solo cd more. Maybe I need to give it time.

Talk amongst yourselves.......

Re: New Dream Theater...thoughts anyone?

I liked the first 2songs and the album title song Octavaium.
    I think I am done with them after all.

Comment

Copy-past of my very iformative review from another site.

new DT is not prog and it is definetly not a Metal.

It is emo

Big dissapoitment.
      There are some good moments, some John's riffs sound bretty cool.
      But most of the time there are some booring laid-back gay shit.
      One song is a mix of emo and U2 uhh c'mon.
      The third song "These Walls" is what American metal bands shouldn't do, NEVER. This is by far the shittyest song DT has ever done. Gayish emo-metal-core mixed with booring scandinavian metal.

The sound isn't so good and massive as it was on the TOT album. The first song is the best, the others are bretty weak, some of them have good riffs, but that's it.
      LaBrie's voice starts to get annoying, Mike's drumming is so predictable.
      This album sucks.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Maybe this a result of touring with Yes? Trying to get a huge mix of styles so they can tour with anyone on the planet?

Admitedly, Scenes is thier best and they yet to top it.TOT had good moments as did six degrees, but this one is putting me to sleep. Labries solo cd smokes this one for lunch.

Never enough sounds like they tried too hard to fit a 100 words where 3-4 would work.The melodies dont fit or the phrasing.I believe that Petrucci writes alot of them and he should leave it to James.

My thought is that these guys have way too many "side" projects and it is seriously starting to delute their songwritting. I think they should concentrate the next two years and put ll thier musical idead into D.T. I know they are capable of putting out incredible c.d.s This isnt one of them...........getting sleepy........gettin sle......py.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

dream theatre is the perfect name for that band- [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

LOL - I couldn't agree more!
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              bretty

[/ QUOTE ]
              Pretty. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Don't really like it. It has a couple of minutes of good stuff in there. But it PALES in comparison to anything else they've done.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I haven't heard good things..

dat's not good...not hearing good 'tings.. [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Wow, I still havent had a chance to pick it up, and now I'm kinda scared. Which sucks, cause I'm a huge fan of them. How depressing.

I did listen to some of LaBrie's solo stuff though, and I agree, it sounds pretty damn good, his vocals seemed alot heavier on the song I heard than most of anything he's done with DT.

Oh well, still gotta buy Octavarium.... damnit.
                    www.myspace.com/madeaband
                    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

<---hasn't really followed DT since Scenes From A Memory

I've heard bits and pieces of 6 Degrees, and Train Of Thought, but I think they were becoming too over-indulgent.
                      (IMO)

Comment

I always liked DT...But they get a great groove going that grabs me...then they wank..

I hate that!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I like it. It's definitely not as one dimensionally heavy as TOT. To compare it to any other album, I would say it most resembles SDOIT. There are definitely more laid back tunes. All in all, I wouldn't say it is my favorite album of theirs, but I wasn't disappointed.

Comment

I've only listened to it a few times, but I don't think it's too bad, though not among their best.

It might be funny as a guitarist to say this, but I'm glad they turned up the keyboards on this one. I prefer the more 'atmospheric' sound of the early albums with Kevin Moore, and Octavarium seems to get closer to that than any of the other Rudess-era albums.

Also, it's nice to see more of a focus on ensemble playing, rather than lots of soloing. I think Petrucci has pretty much proven by now that he's got chops 'o doom! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That said, none of the songs have totally bowled me over, either. And the opening of the title track is just a little too much like "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" for comfort. Maybe that was their intent, but what a strange and gratuitous thing for them do.

Comment

Yeah, the more i listen to it, the more i think they went for the Floyd lp. I guess i just wanted it to be more like scenes.oH WELL.

Comment

Working...
                              X