At the Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the Gates

Anyone know what equipment for guitars did they use for Slaugther of the Soul?

I love that cd, and they were so ahead of their time with it.

Re: At the Gates

Dude they just used a Marshall and a stomp and a 5150. That is what I remembered reading...that record started alot of what you hear today...from Lamb Of God to Arch Enemy and every american , swedish , finnish death metal band on the planet.....

I think it is just they way it's recorded...everyone wanted that sound...I did a demo...my shit sounds like that BIG TIME...it is posted here!

it was recorded in such a way it just sounded soooooo RAW and in your face...that is what I go for with my Uber....I love that shit!!

At The Fuckin' Gates...man they should get back together... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Actually it wasn't 5150. Quite hard to believe but the sound was an earlier solid state Peavey amp with a Metal Zone in front. They were playing Ibanez guitar with EMGs I think at the time.

Comment

really....I read it was a 5150...and if you think about it...it does kinda sound like one..

but I'll take your word for it..

whatever they used...magick was in the air that day!!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ya, I never heard on them until now, and they are amazing. Right when I heard their music, I saw so many of todays bands just like them. They were way ahead of their time.
          As I lay dying, Darkest Hour, Break the Silence all have some influence from them.

Thanks!

Comment

Slaughter Of The Soul could quite possibly be my favourite album of all time... The production on it is superb, I think I read somewhere that they spent around a month recording it, and the album only clocks in at around 29min long if I remember correctly ?

Comment

Yeah,it was a solid state peavey head with a metal zone and a custom built cabinet

Comment

From the liner notes of the album :
                One Boss Heavy Metal distortion pedal, one Bosse Metal Zone distortion pedal, one Peavey Supreme 160 amp and a custom built cabinet, including 2x10" speakers and 2x12" speakers.
                You've just got to figure out the settings hahaha.

Comment

Yep, it's what Anders Bjorler wrote on the CD.
                  Btw, now he is in The Haunted, and it's rather good too (check www.the-haunted.com for a couple of cool songs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ): Caparison, EMGs and 5150 all the way!

Comment

i don't know, but I think that is the best tone I've ever heard on a album. I'm pretty pissed off now since I get the Fender Roc Pro.... I want what they had.

Comment

Quite honestly, don't try getting what they had and get the same tone. That tone is really quite like the luck of the draw. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It might actually not work as well as it did in that specific mix.

Comment

I love At The Gates. Definately in my top 10 list.

For tones, however, I think Heartwork was a little better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I love At The Gates. Definately in my top 10 list.

For tones, however, I think Heartwork was a little better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

5150 + a little bit of a 15 watt Marshall practice amp!

Comment

That one album spawned so many copy cat bands and albums. One of the great moments in metal really. One of the things I love about the album is the thing many people hate about it. I love that it's so short, that much metal condenced into such a short time! It's so good I can listen to it 5 times in a row and not get bored.
                            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

yeah dudes...all of the current popular american metalcore (and every scandanavian band from the past 8 years like horns said) stemmed from these three albums:

at the gates - slaughter of the soul
                              in flames - the jester race
                              dark tranquillity - the gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X