Over the Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the Mountain

With so many great Randy studio solos, it's hard to have just one favorite. I do know, however, that every time I hear the "Over the Mountain" solo, I have to stop what I'm doing (not by choice) and just listen because I become so mesmorized at the playing, the tone, etc. I will say this, I think that solo definitely has one of the best studio guitar tones I've ever heard. I think part of it is because the rhythm/drum breaks behind the solo that allows you to hear the guitar alone through most of it. I'm sure that most of it is because of Randy's playing. I don't know which guitar he's playing and I assume he's using 100w Marshalls. Just my morning thoughts.

Re: Over the Mountain

I think he recorded almost everything with his Les Pauls. Did he even have the Jackson or the Sandoval yet when Diary was recorded? Remember, that album was actually recorded before the first U.S. Ozzy tour for Blizzard.

Comment

I'm the same way with his Mr. Crowley solo

Comment

I'm with you, I love the Over the Mountain solo. I get pumped up, excited, whatever, every time I here it! He's using a whammy bar on it, so it's not the LP.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Yep, whatever guitar he's using it has to have a whammy.
          Theres a couple of times during the solo you can hear it being used.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with Over the Mtn. Those 1st few bars are so seamless, I can't believe he triple tracked it! The 1st time I heard the solo though was from another guitarist in high school. He was only playing a few yrs, but had an incredible ear, and I just started playing so I sucked bigtime! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just the 1st few bars made my jaw drop, then I heard the actual song..holy moly! That and S.A.T.O are my faves from that record.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I can remember the first time I heard Over the Mountain (on the school bus), just like I remember the first time I heard Eruption (riding in the bowl at the skatepark). Both times, my friends & I just stopped what we were doing & said "Holy crap!" [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Eddie & RR were definitely the guys who made me want to play. I love all of Randy's solos, but one of my favorite things on Diary is the fadeout solo at the end of Tonight. Crank it all the way up as it fades. Just amazing, & a bit more spontaneous than anything else he did on the studio albums.

Comment

I've always been partial to the solos on Revelation and Tonight, myself, though they all rock. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

100 posts!! Whoohoo!! Can't think of a better thread topic to have it on.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto............the best! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Theres a story behind the solo on Mr. Crowley.
                      I don't recall the specifics.
                      Ozzy wanted Randy to put alittle more attitude into and make it better. Evidently it worked, Randy became slighty POed and went in and laid down one of the greatest rock/metal solos ever.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        but one of my favorite things on Diary is the fadeout solo at the end of Tonight. Crank it all the way up as it fades. Just amazing, & a bit more spontaneous than anything else he did on the studio albums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That fade out solo always floors me. Some of those licks later showed up live on the Tribute album.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to know there are people with the same mindset as me on this stuff. I am blown away every time I hear Mr. Crowley, the chord structures, solos, everything about the guitar on that song is just so kick ass. The outro solo is the best EVER.

And yes, Over the Mountain is right at the top of the heap as well!

Comment

Mr. Crowley was the first Ozzy song I think I ever heard. It's still my favorite and I can't play the solo to save my life. I try but it's just not there.
                            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with Over the Mtn. Those 1st few bars are so seamless, I can't believe he triple tracked it!

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yeah, that's also a favorite solo of mine, the first one I ever learned back in the day. Seems like he's got some kind of harmonizer on it, too.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X