Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Vai and Dream Theater songs to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Vai and Dream Theater songs to learn?

What would be some good begining/intermediate Vai, Dream Theater songs to learn?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Good Vai and Dream Theater songs to learn?

If Vai, I should say "Liberty" Form album "Passion and Warefare".
    Also "Lady from Buffalo" from David Lee Roth's "Eat em and smile" album.
    Dream theater, well they are all tough but I should say "Pull Me Under" from album "Images and words".
    Cool song to learn and it kicks ass when you play it.

Comment

Vai, i would say stuff from DLR, alcatrazz,or whitesnake.He had to keep it under the hood since they were writing rock songs, not instrumentals.Im not saying, however that they are easy by means.Its just that he had limited space to go off.

Comment

That's a really good point...
        Maybe "Tobacco Road" from DLR's Eat 'Em and Smile...That is one of the least crazy songs on the album

Dan

Comment

I love playing Dream Theater's Metropolis and Erotomania, but boy the middle sections/solos are tricky. Been practicing them for years, [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to think learning other peoples music was sort of a waste, as I thought I could be spending time writing my own stuff. Until I learned Erotomania, which took me about 3 months of solidly practicing. Learning that song from start to finish was probably one of the best crash-courses in lickology I could have ever taken.

I still use what I learned in that song to write my own stuff. Not copying, just having a general idea of how much is really out there...
            www.myspace.com/madeaband
            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

i second erotomania, metropolis pt 1 and pull me under. but really, except for voices, pull me under and maybe lines in the sand there are hardly any intermediate DT songs.
              but, if you like challenges, take a look at home (scenes from a memory), the dance of eternity (if you have a 7string..., also SFAM), beyond this life, fatal tragedy (both SFAM), the great debate (six degrees of inner turbulence disk one), trial of tears (falling into infinity), and under a glass moon (images and words).

i know thats a lot, but then again, you can't go wrong with dream theater....and i'm a DT fanatic [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I second the DT fanaticism... I thank god every day that such a ridiculously good group of musicians found eachother, and that I can listen to them and be inspired by them.
                www.myspace.com/madeaband
                www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

YOU guys should check out the new James La Brie "elements of persuasian"cd . Really could be part two of DT's last cd.

My girlfriend is a HUGE Dream theater fan.Since i met her in 2000, ive seen them five times.Never a bad show.Petrucci just amazes me when he's playing insane riffs and solos wiothout looking at his guitar.Ive learned most of scenes from a memory, which is my favorite cd of thiers.

Comment

If anybody needs the DT's "Images and Words" tabs, drop me an email, i have scanned copies of the "actual" transcrip. Be warned, HUGE files!

Fong

Comment

DT rocks! Every member is a technical wizard. Petrucci is the best there is....period. I have a John Myung bass video. Very dry, but cool.
                      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Learn Glass Prison some parts are far beyond beginner though like that intro neo classical solo but taht song just pretty much rocks to play

Fatal Tragedy and Pull Me Under are also great suggestions
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          "Lady from Buffalo" from David Lee Roth's "Eat em and smile" album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies night in Buffalo... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

That song has my favorite solo on the album.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I LOVE that album, that has some of my favorite Vai playing in it, and "Ladies Night in Buffalo" is one of my favorites, the intro groove kinda thing is really cool, and I love the solo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH!
                              I always thought it was Lady from Buffalo..
                              Anwyay, that song has very cool sound and I think Vai did a great job and I still think his best playing/sound is on that album.
                              I remember seeing a bootleg live from that tour and Vai did a very long solo by the end of the song.
                              Very cool too.

Comment

Working...
                              X