Ozzfest in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzfest in Seattle

Went to Ozzfest on Tuesday in lovely Auburn, WA (just outside of Seattle). We got there in time for this:

<ul type="square">[*]Slipknot to close out the second stage - these guys were way better than I thought they'd be. They musta been hotter than hell in those black clothes and dorky masks. They were tight, the singer chatted the crowd up well, they got the crowd going - fun band. I'll probably go pick up one of their CDs now. You have to love a band that has a lead baseball bat player [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img][*]Black Label Society opened the main stage - I was really looking forward to this. BLS was about as monotonous as you could imagine. No dynamics other than Zakk's harmonic squeals. Boooring... Two or three songs into their set my buddy and I decided it was a good time to get some food.[*]Superjoint Ritual - these guys were pretty cool. I hadn't heard any of Phil's new stuff so this was fun. Phil is a pretty good front man. One of the guitar players had a kick ass Rhoads that was black with neon green bevels. Good band. Another CD to go buy.[*]Dimmu Borgir (how the **** do you pronounce that?) - I was curious about these guys - I'd only heard a couple web clips of them so I wasn't sure how they'd be. Well they delivered the goods. Really freakin' tight.[*]Slayer - damn, I had high hopes for these guys but they sounded like ****. The guitar tones were PATHETIC. The vocals were monotonic shouting gibberish. The guitar solos kinda sucked particularly from the guy playing the ESP - Kerry Kelly's stuff was fair but his tone just blew (but not as bad as the ESP dude's tone blew). They were tight though. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img][*]Judas Priest - these guys delivered the goods in a HUGE way. Halford kicked ass. Glenn and KK had awesome tones and they nailed their parts. Glenn really did some great guitar work. These guys **** ruled![*]Black Sabbath - these guys **** rocked! Tony, Geezer, and Bill were just great. They sounded huge. Ozzy missed a note or two but the **** cares - he's Ozzy **** Osbourne. Ozzy put on a great show and clearly put his heart into it.[/list]

So the Reader's Digest review:
    Priest, Sabbath, Slipknot, Superjoint Ritual, and Dimmu Borgir = [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Black Label Society and Slayer = [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Ozzfest in Seattle

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself... I didn't go. I'm not a big fan of festival style shows. I like club shows. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've heard Dimmu Borgir pronounced the following ways
    -Dim-Moo Bore-Ger
    -Dim-Moo Bore-Zher
    -Dummy Burger [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been calling them dummy booger [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

I've been pronouncing it 'Deem-Moo Bore-Gear', but I don't really know for sure. I don't even know what language that's supposed to be--sure doesn't look like any Scandinavian language I know of. Maybe someone here knows.

Hippietim, I agree with most of your comments, but here's how I rated the mainstagers (didn't see the second stage) when I saw the Virginia show:

--BLS: You pretty much called it.

--Superjoint: Sounded just like Pantera when I saw them open for Sabbath in '99. In other words, all I could hear were drums and Phil's annoying vocals. Got on my nerves after about 5 minutes.

--Dummy Burger: Cool band, but really out of place in an outdoor show during daylight hours. Though most of the band members look like they could use a little more sun... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Slayer: You're right on about the crappy guitar sound. Actually, I thought their mix was terrible overall--the drums and guitars were really muffled compared to the razorsharp mix that Borgir got. They started kind of slow, but they turned really deadly after about the second song.

--Priest. Rocked the house. Tipton hit a couple of bum notes in Virginia, but geez, how much can you really nitpick at the return of the complete Judas Priest?

--Sabbath. They were in top form in Virginia. Much better than I remember them being on the Reunion tour in '99. Ozzy's voice still wasn't that great, but that's nothing new--I have a recording of Asbury Park '75 on the Sabotage tour where his voice was having problems.

Comment

Any show with Preist and Dimmu is a good night. Slayer hasn't put on a good show since they toured with slipknot in 2001.
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

i'm with pro-fusion, deem-moo bore-gear.

too bad about hanneman's sloppiness, but i hear slayer's mixes are always pretty awful.

awesome news about priest though. yeah, i def. hear a comeback for Priest.

Comment

Saw the show in Denver. It was great. I pretty much agree with you.

Dimmu Borgir and Judas Priest owned the show. They were awesome. Slayer blew nuts. And BLS is just kind of a boring band...I like hearing one song..but they all soudn the same to me...so they got kind of boring.

None of those metalcore bands on the 2nd stage really impressed me at all. Unearth was pretty damn good. But other htan that. I could have done with out any of it. The ones that had some guitar chops...didn't know how to find good lead tone for ****, so you couldn't hear them anyway. Adn the singers all sucked. Especially that assmonkey in Everytime I die. He sounded just liek the vocals on that "St. Anger Tribute" song you can find on the web.

Comment

I wasn't at the concert, but a local scene guy in Seattle was there taking photos.

Check them out! http://www.shadows.com/gravemusic/li...04/index.shtml

http://www.shadows.com/gravemusic/li...04/dimmu.shtml - Third picture from the top on the right side... I WANT THAT RHOADS! It looks AWESOME

(Please don't direct link the photos onto the forum)

Comment

You know i have to agree with this review, when i saw ozzfest in VA it was pretty much the same. Slayer was such a disappointment, there solo's sound horrible and they didnt even fit into the songs. The tone was just Blah and i couldnt even hear the singer. I kept falling asleep through there set.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [*]Superjoint Ritual - these guys were pretty cool. One of the guitar players had a kick ass Rhoads that was black with neon green bevels. Good band. Another CD to go buy.
                    from the guy playing the ESP - Kerry Kelly's stuff was fair but his tone just blew (but not as bad as the ESP dude's tone blew).

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin Bond

Jeff Hanneman

Also, the other guitarist in Slayer is Kerry King. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Kerry Kelly?

Comment

Oh, and yeah, it's pronounced
                        Dee-moo-bor-gear

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Kerry Kelly?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're too late. Ron already busted my chops about this. I've never owned a Slayer album and never paid any attention to them so I couldn't remember the guy's name.

- Newc

Comment

These names are confusing.
                            I even said Kerry when it was Kelly.
                            You see, I have never owned Kelly before.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

We got to the Nashville show as Slayer hit the stage. it was ok, the drums were sounding killer, and Jeff was hitting the solos killer, could barely hear Kerry though.
                              PRIEST KICKED ASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! they were all killer, and on the mark!
                              Sabbath was smokin!! OZ had alot of energy and was not doing his usual thorazine shuffle. Tony's sound was HUGE, and GEEZER and BILL were tight as hell, great show!!!
                              we had passes to meet and greet Slipknot at 3 pm but didn't get there till like 6,,,,oh well
                              MOSH ON
                              DAVE

"It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                              X