Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Van Halen Live - Oklahoma City, July 25th

Just got home, here's the details while they're still fresh on my mind:

Eddie - Looked to be in really great shape. The boy has spent a bunch of time in the gym. After watching him jump around all night, I don't think we have to worry about him leaving us anytime soon. He really was in good shape. He wore fatigue pants and no shirt the whole night. He kept his hair down thru about 60-70% of the show but stopped right in the middle of his solo to whip out a hair-tie and put it up in the goofy looking mohawk thing. I thought he was going to make it thru the whole night without a cigarette but he came back out on both encores smoking [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Eddie's Gear - 99% Peavey, really disappointed. There were 12 4x12 cabinets all with Peavey and 5150 logos on the sides that you can't see from in front of the stage. All they had on the front was a large EVH logo. Eddie played his cherry sunburst Wolfgang for every song except for one new song where he played the red/black/white strat w/ non-logo'd Charvel neck. I guess the 2 new EVH Art Series guitar were at NAMM today. He used a guitar cable all night which was secured to the Wolfgang via a really goofy looking bar hanging out the end of the guitar above the bottom strap button. That Wolfgang had an awesome maple top and looked like it had about 4 additional holes where various bottom strap buttons and things had been mounted.

Eddie's Performance - Moments of brilliance, moments of "what the f", entertaining but honestly not the live Eddie I remember seeing many times before. He had the stage presence, he jumped around, he played well on most every song and was really into it. Eddie's trademark "Brown" sound has a newfound extra heaviness too it that sounds awesome when lets it rip with the volume knob all the way up. Unfortunately, there were several times where he tried to dial it down to play clean and either he just wasn't cutting it or the sound wasn't cutting if because it sure looked like he was struggling. His solo was a real mixed bag. A lot of it was more about making weird noises than showing off his amazing abilities that I remember so well from years ago. The first 1/2 of his solo he just struggled making weird noises with very little distortion so the sound hardly came thru and I was beginning to wonder if he was screwing up or struggling or what. He never really let go and shred during the long solo like I remembered in the past.

Other notable moments:

- Michael Anthony's bass solo after the 3rd song was absolutely pathetic, horrible and embarrasing. I honestly don't think he hit a single note. He just bashed his Jack Daniels bass up against the speaker cabinets and microphone stand. It was really bad.

- Wolfgang coming out and playing with Eddie at the end of his solo with a red/black/white Peavey. That was pretty cool. The kid needs to get on a diet though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- The strange and unsuspected moment of the night: Toby Keith coming out on stage and playing "I Love This Bar" with Sammy.

I'll probably remember more tomorrow and feel free to ask questions........... off to bed.

Re: Report: Van Halen Live - Oklahoma City, July 2

Unfortunately, that is one of the best reviews that I have heard. They have been getting bashed in the press. EVH has even called up a critic at 3am to complain about the bad reviews. I didn't respond to your post in your thread selling tickets out of respect for you, but the tour is indeed tanking. They have been averaging about 7000 seats a show, which is worse than the VH3 tour. Clear Channel is apparantly losing their shirts on this tour. VH is guaranteed their money so they don't care. As a long time VH fan, it is terribly dissapointing to see this. I have seen many video boots of the tour andheard many audtio boots and I am disgusted by what I saw and heard. EVH missing many ques, notes and playing out of time and key frequently. I hope is gets better as the tour goes on, but I am glad that I didn't get a ticket. I was going to pay the $350 for the all access, but decided not to when I heard you don't meet the band. I couldn 't bring myself to pay the $90 for nose bleeds either. I am glad I didn't go. Clear Channel has been reducing the ticket prices dramatically in many markets, and they have been including free parking a food coupons in markets as well. If I can get discounted tickets to the AC show, I might check it out...it will be fun to go to AC at least.

Comment

toby keith??? hmmm... i dunno, i hear a lot bout this cable trouble with his guitra cable access and stuff. why didn't he think about this before he designed the Wolfgang. would having the jack point upward, help anything?

Comment

I didn't mean to make it sound like it wasn't an entertaining show. It was fun and it was entertaining. I'm sure most everybody there loved it. Eddie was really into it as was the rest of the band. They were a little loose but they were having fun. I doubt any non-guitar player saw anything wrong except for possibly the first section of his solo where nothing much was coming out.

The reviews I've read have all been pretty positive and I'd be surprised if the tour was a flop.

I do feel the tickets were terribly overpriced. The Ford Center was fairly full but a long ways from being sold out with most of the upper nose-bleed sections being mostly empty. Having not seen Van Halen in like 15 years, I would have probably paid double the ticket price to see them. However, now that I have, I don't think I'd rush out to pay $100 to see them again if they come thru next year. $50....... sure, $100........ nope.

Comment

Thanx Greg, I've heard some mixed reviews as well, so we'll see. Wed and Thurs of this week actually... I've got 12th row for Wed and The All Access deal for Thurs, (St. Louis) so I'll sure jump on and report how that was. Has anyone seen them with the All Access deal?

Pat

Comment

Great report. Thanks

Comment

Nothin against Peavey,but I dont know how fired up I could get for a show
              swinging a peavey around!! He just needs to play His Charvels again!!!
              Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Thanx Greg, I've heard some mixed reviews as well, so we'll see. Wed and Thurs of this week actually... I've got 12th row for Wed and The All Access deal for Thurs, (St. Louis) so I'll sure jump on and report how that was. Has anyone seen them with the All Access deal?Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the things that I have heard is that as a result of ticket blowouts and price cuts (especially as the show gets closer) people who paid less than $40 a ticket were sitting next to people who paid for the all access tickets. That would seriously piss me off if I paid $350-$500 and sat next to a guy who paid $40. Personally I hope the shows get better and they get back into it, but so far this tour has been a dissappointment. I am so glad I didn't buy those tickets after all.

Comment

Well, after sitting around today discussing the concert with all the people I provided tickets for, the general concensus was that Eddie was "on something". I'm guessing just alcohol. He did act a bit strange, especially when speaking into the microphone and at one point said "thanks for putting up with my sh1t". Somebody back behind me kept saying "Eddie's losing it, Eddie's losing it" all thru the concert.

I personally didn't think Eddie was "losing it", just his normal half-drunk self.

Comment

From what I understand he is more than half drunk. The rumors (and I will accept them as only that) are that he is drinking 4.5 to 5 bottles of wine per show and is drinking most of the day prior to the show. There has also been speak of him popping some pills when he walks off the stage periodically. I won't speculate as to what it is believed that they are. Needless to say, he looks horrible to me. I mean, his body look physically fit, but look at his face and his eyes. There have been disturbing reports all over the Boston papers about his erratic/crazy behavior. If anybody comes across the video of him playing with Wolfgang, please send it to me. I can't find it anymore. It is very, very sad.

Comment

Working...
                    X