Marty Friedman Showcases his Signature Jackson MF-1 Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marty Friedman Showcases his Signature Jackson MF-1 Model

Started on a Jackson? He played a red Carvin V220 while in Cacophony, even used it in his Megadeth audition video. And Dave Mustaine told him to get rid of the two-toned hair and play a real guitar.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an early photo somewhere of Marty with a black and white Kelly I think it was... have to check when I get home. Maybe that's the guitar he's talking about.

Comment

Maybe he did play one before, but I've never seen him in any Cacophony pics with a Jackson. He and Jason Becker were big Carvin fans.

Comment

Yes, go look up stuff from his band Hawaii, he's playing a Jackson there just as he stated. this would have been 3-4 years before cacophony

Comment

Cool. He wasn't ever featured any Jackson playing in Cacophony like he stated, though, unless he played it on album. The album covers, as well as other pics at the time, showed him with Carvin. Can't recall ever seeing him with a Jackson that early, but very cool if so.

Even when auditioning for Megadeth in 1990, he's got his Carvin.

Comment

Well, if he says Jackson was first "real world guitar" then that's dissing Carvin. Carvin is every bit as good as Jackson, especially the Carvins he played. I'll always remember early Friedman like this:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yep, Carvins are awesome. That's a later X220. He did play the V220 before that which was the rounded body edges.

Comment

Marty is and always has been a Jackson fan through and through, haters!

Comment

I found the photo, I think I remember reading it was from when he was in Hawaii and he placed pyrotechnics behind the headstock

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      I found the photo, I think I remember reading it was from when he was in Hawaii and he placed pyrotechnics behind the headstock

Welp. Glad I waited for this reply! All of these people just assume Marty was dissing Carvin didn't know he had a Kelly way before even that :P

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post
                          Welp. Glad I waited for this reply! All of these people just assume Marty was dissing Carvin didn't know he had a Kelly way before even that :P
                          LOL Do you know how many artists claim they've been using such-and-such guitars from the beginning when they get endorsed? The bullshit is strong with a lot of them.

Comment

These endorsement videos are never unbiased, candid, open discussions on the endorsement.

I imagine that the endorser (Jackson in this case) probably has guidelines for the endorsee (Marty Friedman in this case) to follow when speaking about the endorsement and the client-company relationship. There needs to be hype and positive vibes for the business relationship to benefit both parties. Otherwise, what's the point?

Examples of these guidelines might include:

"Please talk about your first Jackson guitar."

"Please diminish discussion about other companies and their products. In fact, don't even mention them by name."

"Don't necessarily lie, but please feel free to embellish your relationship with Jackson."

"Emphasize the positives, and don't talk about any negatives."

There are plenty of videos on Youtube that are sales videos masquerading as unbiased reviews. Do I still enjoy watching the product being showcased? Yes. Do I think all the products are perfect and can only be seen through rose-tinted glasses? No, I'll form my own opinion.
                            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-28-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Exactly. We all know he didn't start off with Jackson, but then if he got a Jackson early on as his first "real" guitar, then why would he have moved on and be featured prominently with Carvin if the Jackson was so good. Sure, he's a gear whore and has many different guitars like a lot of people, and that's fine.
                              When he joined Megadeth, it's a proven fact that Dave Mustaine told him he needed to get rid of the two-toned poodle hair and play a real guitar and helped get his endorsement with Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                              X