Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct - The CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct - The CD

Interesting CD. It appears pretty obvious to me that Metallica had some new writers/arrangers helping out with this CD. The production is just different from any other Metallica CD. There are times where you are wondering if it's even James singing on a couple songs. It's like they tried to combine old school Metallica with newer more modern radio metal and produce it in a way that is sanitized and available for mass consumption.

In all, pretty decent CD, not great, not quite as heavy as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets but not anywhere near as pussified as Load and ReLoad. This is just heavy, trudging "radio metal". I can't say that any of the other 9 songs are any better than the 3 you've heard on the radio. None of them really suck or anything, just all following a specific formula. I'll have to listen to it a few more times but right now I'd call it a decent effort. Not great, not groundbreaking but not pussified. It works well for middle of the road radio metal.

Going to keep spinning Testament Brotherhood of the Snake based on that review

Comment

Not enthused at all for the new Metallica based on the 3 songs already released. New Testament is light years ahead of what Metallica is doing. Same goes for Anthrax, Megadeth, Amon Amarth....so much good metal out these days. No reason to waste time/money on a band that is trying to capture their past glory following some formula. Really sad.

Comment

It's Pop. It's not even really suitable for Mallcore tours.

If they were smart they would just tour and play nothing but their first 4 albums. Like the last time I saw Slayer, they played almost every song off Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood and Seasons... with a couple of newer songs and a couple off their first.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

It's like when Death Magnetic came out. Everyone was trying to be positive, just looking for anything good they could in the material. Because Metallica.

It sucks.

Comment

I listened to it...

It was better than dystopia...with that said, I probably won't listen to it again. Some good parts, but not enough.

Comment

It's pretty kick ass so far. I like it.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Spit Out the Bone is fucking amazing. Kirk actually made a decent solo at the end, and the riff is just wicked. love this album. The problem is that the fans keep demanding the same shit from them every year and they aren't capable or interested in doing so. More power to them. I would not want to make the same stuff all the time too.
                I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

So I've listened about 3 times in 24 hours plus the bonus stuff and some songs more than that many times. I really dig the album. There's some stinkers in there. Some of James' timing and vocal choices aren't great, but overall it works. Cool riffs. I'd like to hear from some drummers - seems like it's all double bass and snare. I don't think I heard one tom hit on the whole album.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

I'm sure the album is going to sell concert tickets which is all releasing and album is really good for anymore, so to that end, good job. Uh, I have to be honest I just don't like it. There wasn't a track (listening to it on youtube) that made me interested in even clicking on it to listen again later. It'll have an audience and maybe if I hear this stuff live it'll click for me, but... It's just a pass. Again, i'm not a Metallica hater - This isn't an album I would stand out in front of Warehouse Records or Tower Record for at midnight so I could get my copy as soon as it came out like I did with Black album, GnR's Use your Illusion, or for Rush concert tickets... This, I'd just listen to if one of my friends was playing it at their house.
                    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by guitarguy2237 View Post
                      Spit Out the Bone is fucking amazing. Kirk actually made a decent solo at the end, and the riff is just wicked. love this album. The problem is that the fans keep demanding the same shit from them every year and they aren't capable or interested in doing so. More power to them. I would not want to make the same stuff all the time too.
                      The thing that angers me most about Kirk is that all the time when he was playing like a 4 year old from about '94 on because it was not "cool" to shred, he still had the ability to play great things. Lars on the other hand seems to have genuinely lost it.....he played quite well in the '80s for the purpose of Metallica's music......then devolved into a retard with a trash can lid snare....

I consider Death Magnetic to be good, and a welcome partial return to form, although of course there was the infamous compression issue on the actual product to diminish the experience.

Haven't gotten around to checking out Hardwired yet, but I am going to give it a fair shake. Metallica were my favorite band until they dumped a Load on the traditional fans during the Alternative years, when we really needed a "Metallica" to help keep us going. After Reload, I didn't listen to them for over 10 years. To this day, I haven't heard any entire Metallica album after Load other than Death Magnetic. But I'm ready to return if THEY do.
                      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                      '90 Charvel 475 XL
                      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Pretty much all their peers are miles better but considering what we've been given since the black album, this is quite good. I could appreciate Death Magnetic, faults & all, this one is better, still not quite there but as i said, much closer to the Metallica we use to love.

Comment

Working...
                        X