Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater

Hello all,
    I came across this band just recently . I knew about them for years and and years and really didn't care for them when I first heard them. I thought the guitar work was amazing but at this time in my life I gave up playing, Metal died out and Seattle was in full effect.

Fast forward to today and I found them again. I heard "Pull me Under" and love it. Then I heard the new song "Our New World" and had to down load the Album from iTunes.
    Well, Honestly it's the ONLY great song on the entire 34 song Album. I was kinda shocked how different it sounds vs the rest of this. I was expecting a Metal experience and got this crap.

Anyone else listen to it?

By the way I'm way into His signature Mesa Boogie amp. I gotta go play through one. This might be "THE ONE"

DT fan here. I was aware of them in the 90's but didn't really get onboard until SDOIT in 2002 which was a bit darker. Since then, I've seen them twice with Portnoy, and they can bring it live. I haven't got into the new album much. I'm still upset about Portnoy leaving.

Comment

Big DT fan here too. I was in a band in the early nineties that did pull me under as one of our cover songs n a set of mostly originals. I haven't heard anything from the new album but have seen them live in the last 5 years or so and Axe you are right, they bring it live. Great band. Sorry to hear their new work doesn't hold up, but that's a tall order to fill. I'm just happy theyre still playing and making music.
      "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I've got all their albums except the new one. I listened to about 3/4 of it from a Youtube upload, and it really didn't do anything for me. There's some great playing, of course, but it's very keyboard heavy and not many real hard-rocking tunes. A kind of a weird concept album that seems like a movie that teenagers would like today. I'll have to give it another listen, but I definitely won't be wasting my money on this one.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Our New World is a great song but thats about it on this Album. I've listened to it twice now and I'm actually starting to hate it.

Comment

Love the band but the last few records have been pretty crappy.

I heard some of the new one and thought it was horrible. I really hate it when they get into their sappy SlowJams™. They write some incredibly heavy and dark stuff but when they hit the major key it's like the worst of Journey and Styx combined.

I've been seeing them live since the mid 90's and they always put on a great show, even though they're incapable of moving on stage.

Comment

Started listening to them after getting sick of reading about them in metal mags in 92/93' and getting told about them from the metal shop I used to buy CDs from (2000 miles away! No shop where I lived sold anything but top 40 or the bigger metal band's CDs!), so I bought Images & Words. I thought Pull Me Under was okay, thought Another Day was okay......then I heard Take the Time! Brain explosion. Loved them ever since though there has been a few stinky moments, album wise and hey, there is always a song or two for any band you like that you just can't stand as well.

For a long time I didn't like Octavarium but it grew on me....just edit out the long winded keyboard and the awful slide guitar by Jordan and it's pretty good! The latest album though IS different though! I can't stand it TBH! So many ballads and breathy vocals...if I wanted to listen to breathy vocals, I'd by a Mariah Carey album!

Seen them 3 times and I was lucky that they were on fire every time, including James. Which is just as well, as I have a minimum 2 hour flight to go and see them and last time it was a 3 hour flight as they only played two cities last time they toured Oz.

Mmmmm Mike vs Mike dilemma that still rages after 6 years.....my 2 cents.

As a person....Mangini! Very nice, accommodating and informative person. Go to one of his clinics, even if you're not interested in drums.
              As a drummer....Mangini! Chops and speed beyond amazing!
              As a DT drummer...... still Portnoy but only because I don't think Mangini has let himself off the leash yet? He's still still a little conservative. Maybe that'll change when they make up for the last album with a heavier one next year?

As a side note to the "lesser albums", for me, some of them suffered due to the Portnoy OCD factor! Him singing lead breaks and the dreadful "demon voice" on A Nightmare to Remember were just wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong!

I won't be seeing them if they tour Oz later this year or early next if they are still playing the last album as the set list, though!
              Last edited by shramiac; 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM.
              www.vvforums.com

Comment

Portnoy's backing vocals are horrible.

Comment

I also purchased the greatest hits Album and I find them to be very talented but extremely boring to listen to.
                  I also feel they do to much in their songs. It's like Classical Musicians went Metal of sorts and had to much material and put it all in every song.
                  Not all songs are like this it's just my general feel of the Albums. The comment about them going major key is like the worst of Journey and Styx combined is so true.

I wasn't a dream Theater fan when they came out, I respect the Musicians , I love John's Tone and his Signature amp JP-2C as I want to plug into one. I like a song here and there but overall I'm not a huge fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                    Portnoy's backing vocals are horrible.
                    He's even worst live where he won't shut up

Comment

Working...
                    X