Never too old to keep rockin' - Saxon still banging out great tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never too old to keep rockin' - Saxon still banging out great tunes

Man, these guys have been doing it for well over 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oLC0nOfWGc

I used to be a huge Saxon / Accept fan. And their touring buddies Accept are still at it too:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Saxon rules. Met and hung out with Doug Scarrat. He gave me a CD he was working on. "Bulldogs and Englishmen". Something like that. During the Killing Ground tour. He called me and wanted to trade his Gold Wolfie special for my LN Trans Purple. I think he's great..but straight up trade. No way!

I have everything up to their last one. I just caught up on Grave Digger. They get better with age too..just as Helstar and Artillery. A freind went and said that it was packed and 120 degrees. Armored Saint opened for Saxon. I can't do that shit anymore...not even free. Human stew..ewwwww.yuck!

Now if Eddie wanted to trade...yeah.

I should have went to see Marty Friedman on a tuesday night. I'm sorry I missed that one.
      Last edited by horns666; 09-24-2015, 12:52 AM.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I was like 14 or 15 back in the Crusader days and saw them like... 3 times with Accept. I didn't keep up because my musical tastes really changed a whole lot. But DAMN... they have a lot of freaking albums out since I was a big fan. Didn't really keep up with Accept either, or a lot of bands... I kinda gave up on heavy metal about the time Turbo came out. Bay Area Thrash Scene was new and exciting and the BWOHM just started getting old... and early Death Metal was gurgling in the pits of local scenes and just starting to break out.

I was born exactly when I was supposed to be as far as music is concerned. The Thrash scene started shortly after I got my driver's license and I got to go to so many shows.

Saxon was awesome. They were my favorite band for at least a year. Good times.

Comment

Xeno! I think they have more albums than Overkill. I hopped on Saxon in the 90's. I think when Doug joined them. Bif's voice didn't appeal to me early on. I was always following guitarist more than bands sometimes. like all the Varney guys. I didn't get into heaver stuff until...Coroner was a game changer for me. Then my hunger for all kinds of heavy stuff exploded. I hated Merciful Fate at first..It was pretty much Queeryche Savatge ect. at that time ..just before ZROCK . But I think of Rage too when I thing german bands. I got them all except their last one. So damn many! I didn't pick up Juda Preist's last one. Too much catchin' up while newer amazing stuff coming out. I can't believe that I'm going to say this..oh man. Now there's too much metal!!!! I mean really great metal of all genres. I can't stand trends tho. Music label force and mold bands for the style that sells..I hate that. Like those trivium whiny singing chorus that killed some cool bands like Sylosis for ex. You can tell and here some bands don't want to do that! That's dead I think. I maybe wrong if that strained whiny clean thing is in vogue. But it seems so many bands adopted that in the last decade..In flames. I loved In Flames until Soundscape, They tried to recover and I bought The haunted, Soilwork (gothenburg). All the american ones stealing gothenburg stuff is cool. like TBDM..they do it right but Killswitch Engage..no way. As I lay dying..no way.. Parkway Drive..Oh my dumb kid..loved that shit. I'm like that's not metal. Now All he like is Animals As leaders, CHON..I got to start a thread just on CHON and his obesession for all things CHON and Polyphia...Periphery...I just don't feel that. Andy James is cool, very good player. But I don't hear a signature style with Andy James that makes go..Oh that's Andy James.

Is my kid a "scene kid"..how could this be. His freinds have earlobes that look like loose vaginas, and they all wear goofy hats. Can that be it. I see a connection. It doesn't look metal. It doesn't sound metal. They look like Beiber Metal.
          Last edited by horns666; 09-25-2015, 02:33 AM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Coroner was a game changer for a lot of people... I never really got into the whole gothenburg thing... I realy did like The Haunted... saw them live once. The only band in that progressive melodic stuff I really got into was Dark Tranquillity, but I like the older stuff. Saw them at least a few times. Wasn't really a fan of Opeth or Soilwork or In Flames, but I do like At the Gates a bit. I stopped listening to prog around the Damage Done Jester Race time period. I saw them live, of course, but usually in support of some other band they were with.

I didn't recognize any of the scene / hipster / core stuff you mentioned.

Back when I liked Saxon I was probably more influenced by overall themes. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, etc... Once I lost the Faith in Heavy Metal I found it in the Thrash scene. Teaching a lesson in violence seemed more fun than sharing some turbo love. lol

Comment

Working...
            X