Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warren and Robbin - who is Left and who is Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren and Robbin - who is Left and who is Right?

( Didn't know where else to post this. )

I am listening to iTunes with headphones on and can't tell. My best guess is that Warren is Right and Robbin is Left. Anybody know? Or did they switch it up from album to album?
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

That's hard to tell bro. I would guess that depends on what song you're speaking of. Both of them played lead and rhythm so it's not a he's on left/he's on right kind of thing. I've been listening to Ratt for years and it really does seem to vary song to song. "You're in love" has Warren on the right and Robbin on the left but "Back for more" has Robbin on the right and Warren on the left. Sometimes one of them is on both channels at the same time. I.E during solo's.
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-19-2013, 06:10 AM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
      That's hard to tell bro. I would guess that depends on what song you're speaking of. Both of them played lead and rhythm so it's not a he's on left/he's on right kind of thing. I've been listening to Ratt for years and it really does seem to vary song to song. "You're in love" has Warren on the right and Robbin on the left but "Back for more" has Robbin on the right and Warren on the left. Sometimes one of them is on both channels at the same time. I.E during solo's.
      Spot on

Comment

Itunes
        Then the question becomes
        where did this file come from.

It would be different if you listened to original vinyl. But once you start with digital versions of twenty thirty year old songs.
        Which remaster is it. Which compilation mix is it. Who digitized it.
        And my personal favorite: when ripping from cd, did the pc alter it in order to give spacial enhancements or even to just clear up a phase frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          Itunes
          Then the question becomes
          where did this file come from.

It would be different if you listened to original vinyl. But once you start with digital versions of twenty thirty year old songs.
          Which remaster is it. Which compilation mix is it. Who digitized it.
          And my personal favorite: when ripping from cd, did the pc alter it in order to give spacial enhancements or even to just clear up a phase frequency.
          Pianoguyy makes a good point as well. The reason I say what I said is because I actually do have and listen to Ratt on old Vinyl records and he's right! They do sound completely different than the digitized versions I've heard. My car has a CD and Cassette player combo in it and I usually listen to Ratt on old National record mart tapes I bought when I was a kid when I am driving. But then again I have always hated CD's and their sound quality which has always made people think I am crazy. In my opinion Cassettes and ESPECIALLY vinyl have always sounded better to me than CD's. I know I am more than likely in the minority with this opinion but to each their own.
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-19-2013, 06:58 PM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Sure, let's listen to it on ancient technology that takes the hardest substance known to man and rubs it against a piece of plastic, constantly enlarging the groove that is the actual recording. Oh yeah, and there's always cassettes that degrade constantly no matter what you do to them. These sound better than a CD that can hold more music, at a higher bitrate. and providing you don't play frisbee with them will last forever?
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Well, i wasn't talking about audio quality. I am talking about how Blizzard of Ozz on cd is not the same as the record because they rerecorded the bass and drums for the cd. Detroit Rock City the single is mixed differently than the Destroyer album, which is different than the greatest hits cd.

Stuff like that.

Comment

But if it helps.
                Ratt
                Warren did the intro to
                you're in love and way cool Jr

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                  Sure, let's listen to it on ancient technology that takes the hardest substance known to man and rubs it against a piece of plastic, constantly enlarging the groove that is the actual recording. Oh yeah, and there's always cassettes that degrade constantly no matter what you do to them. These sound better than a CD that can hold more music, at a higher bitrate. and providing you don't play frisbee with them will last forever?
                  Have you ever actually recorded on an old analog tape machine? Have you ever recorded digitally? If you have you'd know what I was talking about. Analog always sounds way warmer. Especially when it comes to recording guitar. CD's don't last forever that's pure bullshit marketing techniques used by "Phillips/Sony" when they invented the CD Player and CD. The record industry people who worked in production hated CD and digital recording when it came out because it sounded like shit to them. But the people who have the money that make the decisions went with digital and CD only because it's about 15 times cheaper than recording on 3 inch tape and producing an old school 33 record. When my Grandmother passed away she was 97 years old and she had tons of old records some as old as the late 30's and they're still playing and sounding as good as the day she bought them. Let me know when you come across an 80 year old CD that still plays.
                  Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-19-2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Ha,ha..man,i dont know of a cd that will play 80 minutes w/out freakin skipping. cd,s suck..albums and tapes rule..ha,ha..sorry, had to though

Comment

Now see, I've had nothing but the oposite. I still have (as an example) my original CDs of Use Your Illusion ! & 2 and neither skip, but I take care of my shit. On the flip side. I've tossed more cassettes than I can count because after a while they get to sounding like someone cut all the highs and boosted all the lows. As for vinyl, well, for obvious reasons they never sound as good as they do the first time they're played, From then on the needle itself is deteriorating the grooves. I still have a collection of old 78s of early jazz music I recieved as inheritance from my grandmother, but those won't be played because of personal sentiment. Yes they still play. Do they sound as good as they used to? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Cassettes do deteriorate badly if they're not kept in a cool dry place. My CD's are all in brand new shape as well because I keep them in my Sony 500 disc changer and the others live in their respective cases. They never leave the changer or cases because I've loaded them all up to my Itunes. My problem with CD's is the opposite of yours with cassettes. I find that the highs are too thin and the lows are very cold sounding, they seem to lack in warmth. But...Again tone, weather it be good or bad is all up to the respective listener. I still prefer analog over digital but to each their own because there really is no right or wrong answer. It's all a matter of taste.

Comment

Have you ever actually recorded on an old analog tape machine? Have you ever recorded digitally? If you have you'd know what I was talking about. Analog always sounds way warmer. Especially when it comes to recording guitar. CD's don't last forever that's pure bullshit marketing techniques used by "Phillips/Sony" when they invented the CD Player and CD. The record industry people who worked in production hated CD and digital recording when it came out because it sounded like shit to them. But the people who have the money that make the decisions went with digital and CD only because it's about 15 times cheaper than recording on 3 inch tape and producing an old school 33 record. When my Grandmother passed away she was 97 years old and she had tons of old records some as old as the late 30's and they're still playing and sounding as good as the day she bought them. Let me know when you come across an 80 year old CD that still plays.
                          Sure, we'll talk in 50 years...

It's a pretty dumb thing to say that "record industry people who worked in production hated CD and digital recording when it came out because it sounded like shit to them" since when CDs came out most studios were still recording with analog gear and you ended up with analog-sounding records pressed onto CDs.

This whole analog vs. digital debate is so tired and usually involves individuals who have very little understanding of audio in the first place. The fact that a CD can carry audio information more accurately (i.e.: transparently) than a vinyl is an irrefutable fact. Did you know that when mastering for vinyl you have to reduce the stereo separation of lower frequencies? Whereas for CDs this is not needed. The age-old dumb argument that analog sounds 'warmer' isn't some magical obscure thing that can't be replicated, it's due to the inherently non-linear frequency response of the format. Any audio engineer who knows what he's doing can make a digitally recorded album sound just as 'warm'.

EDIT: And if you press a 'warm'-sounding album onto CD it will sound exactly how you mastered it because CD audio is transparent.
                          Last edited by Devotee; 12-20-2013, 07:25 AM.
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                            Sure, we'll talk in 50 years...

It's a pretty dumb thing to say that "record industry people who worked in production hated CD and digital recording when it came out because it sounded like shit to them" since when CDs came out most studios were still recording with analog gear and you ended up with analog-sounding records pressed onto CDs.

This whole analog vs. digital debate is so tired and usually involves individuals who have very little understanding of audio in the first place. The fact that a CD can carry audio information more accurately (i.e.: transparently) than a vinyl is an irrefutable fact. Did you know that when mastering for vinyl you have to reduce the stereo separation of lower frequencies? Whereas for CDs this is not needed. The age-old dumb argument that analog sounds 'warmer' isn't some magical obscure thing that can't be replicated, it's due to the inherently non-linear frequency response of the format. Any audio engineer who knows what he's doing can make a digitally recorded album sound just as 'warm'.
                            The people in production hated the sound of the finished product compared to the analog recordings. Sorry I didn't clarify that better. I am not a sound engineer and by the jargen you're spitting here I can tell you definitely know more than I do on the technical aspect of engineering. I on the other hand have a Masters degree in Jazz from Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music. I don't know all of the aspects of recording in and out like you do I am a guitar player/instructor. I only know what I personally like the sound of better. I also have worked with quite a few very talented engineers and they all say the same thing. They prefer the sound of analog over digital. You can tell people their opinions are wrong until your blue in the face but everyone hears things differently. One mans gold is another mans garbage.

Comment

...there really is no right or wrong answer. It's all a matter of taste.
                              Well said.

Comment

Working...
                              X