Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yngwie on his playing and how he came to do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
    Absolutely agree and general physics would agree with it. I think heavier gauges can definitely sound better as can higher action but they are going to be more difficult to play especially fast. What did SRV play? 12's. Sounded great but he wasn't playing super fast he was concerned with tone.
    +1
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
      So you're saying that it doesn't take less effort to play on a lighter gauge string? Especially one that happens to be tuned down. The smaller the string and the less tension there is on it the easier it is to play at least for me. I find that when it comes to legato it's a lot easier to do it on a lighter sting with less tension. Of course your picking won't get faster but your fretting hand having to put less effort in to fret a note does make it easier for me to play a little faster. I find that I am slower on legato especially if I use a bigger gauge string because it takes more effort to fret. Maybe it's just in my head who knows but I did play a set of .008's a few times and I did feel faster than I do on .010's. Just my opinion though.

No....I am saying tuning & scallops do not make it easier to "play fast"....if you're referring to "legato" then yes....a lower action helps too....but as you stated: not for picking faster....that requires practice/repetition not lighter gauge strings or scallops!!

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
        No....I am saying tuning & scallops do not make it easier to "play fast"....if you're referring to "legato" then yes....a lower action helps too....but as you stated: not for picking faster....that requires practice/repetition not lighter gauge strings or scallops!!
        +1 My bad bro! See we agree. That's my fault for not clarifying my original statement better.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
          What did SRV play? 12's. Sounded great but he wasn't playing super fast he was concerned with tone.
          He played 13's...and could whip off some blazing fast pentatonic runs with them even though that's not what he's known for.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
            +1 My bad bro! See we agree. That's my fault for not clarifying my original statement better.

Could've been me too....not quite as "eloquent" as I try to be!!

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
              I have always loved YJM! but hes the WORST teacher EVER LOL......

....agreed....anybody remember that REH video he did??

Comment

Yngwie is one of the greatest living guitar players. To my ears he sounds much more like Uli Jon Roth than he does Blackmore. If you want to know who he sounds the most like just pick up Nicoli Paganni's 24 Caprices. I have been blown away by Malmsteen's playing since he was in Steeler. He is truly amazing and a student of the game. He knows a ton about everything musical.

Comment

Last edited by BLOOD SPLATTER; 11-14-2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

In the unauthorized biography they mentioned he was averse to bathing. Hopefully one of his wives has improved that aspect of his young life.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                      He played 13's...and could whip off some blazing fast pentatonic runs with them even though that's not what he's known for.
                      I know he could rip too. 13's. Man and if I recall he liked higher action ( hell you need it with 13's). Yeah he was kinda good.
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        Yngwie is one of the greatest living guitar players. To my ears he sounds much more like Uli Jon Roth than he does Blackmore. If you want to know who he sounds the most like just pick up Nicoli Paganni's 24 Caprices. I have been blown away by Malmsteen's playing since he was in Steeler. He is truly amazing and a student of the game. He knows a ton about everything musical.
                        I had to play a few of Paganini's caprice's in college as part of the Masters program. Of course my professor had to be a dick and make everyone learn caprice no. 5. LOL
                        Last edited by leftykingv2; 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I wish my fingers could move that fast.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                          X