Vivian Campells last in Line Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacksoncsplayer View Post
    Man he was badass back then, he played with a passion.
    +1.

Back Then.

What happened???

Comment

I don't see it as RJD was bitter at all. Seemed more like Vivian was totally unappreciative for what Ronnie did for him. At least that's certainly how he came off in a lot of interviews. Without DIO, Vivian who? Loved that original lineup either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldrich fan View Post
        I don't see it as RJD was bitter at all. Seemed more like Vivian was totally unappreciative for what Ronnie did for him. At least that's certainly how he came off in a lot of interviews. Without DIO, Vivian who? Loved that original lineup either way.
        Two sides to that story. Do you show appreciation by letting your "boss" break promises that he had made you? If so, then perhaps Vivian was unappreciative...otherwise, RJD was somewhat of an ass.
        Cool to see Viv returning to his best work (IMO)...it's been far too long since he's played anything cool.

Comment

Well I guess he can get the money that he thinks he is is owed by doing his tribute band and leaching off of RJD's name. It's funny he never could make peace with the man when he was alive, but it didn't take long for him to capitalize on the music that he openly hated for years. Don't get me wrong, I WAS a huge Vivian fan, even liked the Riverdogs, but this is just sad. I guess he couldn't ride the Thin Lizzy gravy train forever. Just go back to being a hack in Def Leppard.

Comment

I too loved Vivian in the Dio days. Shit, The Last in Line was the first concert I ever went to.

But the person who made that stuff is gone.

Just like the people who made the first few Metallica albums are gone.

All we can do is enjoy the old stuff and be happy with what we got.

That's why I'm so happy about the last two Accept CD's (hoping they make more). Kick ass stuff. Wolf is the man.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I too loved Vivian in the Dio days. Shit, The Last in Line was the first concert I ever went to.

But the person who made that stuff is gone.

Just like the people who made the first few Metallica albums are gone.

All we can do is enjoy the old stuff and be happy with what we got.

That's why I'm so happy about the last two Accept CD's (hoping they make more). Kick ass stuff. Wolf is the man.
              Well said.

Comment

Well I guess he can get the money that he thinks he is is owed by doing his tribute band and leaching off of RJD's name. It's funny he never could make peace with the man when he was alive, but it didn't take long for him to capitalize on the music that he openly hated for years. Don't get me wrong, I WAS a huge Vivian fan, even liked the Riverdogs, but this is just sad. I guess he couldn't ride the Thin Lizzy gravy train forever. Just go back to being a hack in Def Leppard.
                Vivian is financially independent...to say he's "leaching off of RJD's name" is just flat out stupid. WTF is he capitalizing on? You make it sound like he's doing a stadium tour.

He's doing it (along with the original band members) as a tribute and to simply revisit songs that HE HELPED WRITE! After sitting in with Steel Panther a while back and performing "Rainbow in the Dark" for the first time since he was fired made him realize that he missed the material that he helped create and thought it would be cool to "get the band back together". Finding something wrong with that is just weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                  Vivian is financially independent...to say he's "leaching off of RJD's name" is just flat out stupid. WTF is he capitalizing on? You make it sound like he's doing a stadium tour.

He's doing it (along with the original band members) as a tribute and to simply revisit songs that HE HELPED WRITE! After sitting in with Steel Panther a while back and performing "Rainbow in the Dark" for the first time since he was fired made him realize that he missed the material that he helped create and thought it would be cool to "get the band back together". Finding something wrong with that is just weak.
                  Music that he admittedly trashed himself for years, and now suddenly he "misses" it, and wants the band back together. THAT'S weak! Maybe guilt has got the best of him, and he realizes karma is a bitch. Either way, I'll continue to listen to my old DIO with Viv, along with RJD's time with Doug(which easily betters the Vivian days anyway), and pass on the cheesy "tribute". Like it or not, without Ronnie, Vivian would be just another no-name on the JCF like us, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Comment

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/last-in-line-first-show/
                    The singer, Andrew Freeman, while not Dio, does an admirable job in singing the songs, AND the band sounds fukkin TIGHT!
                    Last edited by bombtek; 09-06-2013, 06:17 PM.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Music that he admittedly trashed himself for years, and now suddenly he "misses" it, and wants the band back together. THAT'S weak! Maybe guilt has got the best of him, and he realizes karma is a bitch. Either way, I'll continue to listen to my old DIO with Viv, along with RJD's time with Doug(which easily betters the Vivian days anyway), and pass on the cheesy "tribute". Like it or not, without Ronnie, Vivian would be just another no-name on the JCF like us, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
                      Are you trying to suggest that the songs written with Aldrich were remotely close to the songs from Holy Diver, Last In Line and Sacred Heart? Are you stupid, high on meth, or both? Doug is a great guitar player, but the originals he played on were mediocre
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

As big a DIO fan as I am, I'm glad the first lineup did this tour, saw them back in the 80's they sounded great and still sound great, there was word there might be more North American dates, hope one is close to Toronto.
                        We will know for the first time...
                        If we are evil or divine...
                        We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                          Are you trying to suggest that the songs written with Aldrich were remotely close to the songs from Holy Diver, Last In Line and Sacred Heart? Are you stupid, high on meth, or both? Doug is a great guitar player, but the originals he played on were mediocre
                          Neither. When I made that comment I was specifically thinking about the two live dvd's with Doug, but there are definitely songs on Killing The Dragon that I would put up against anything DIO did. Not to turn this into just another pissing contest on the Ronnie vs Viv feud, I don't give a shit about that really. Vivian is not the first young guitarist to get screwed if that's what happened, and his body of work post DIO never amounted to squat as a guitar player. That being said, my main beef with Vivian is that he has openly distanced himself from the DIO years forever, and even went as far as to publicly say he wasn't proud of ANY of the music he created with RJD. So don't suddenly proudly revisit it , and now after Ronnie's death, embrace it. Let it go already.

Comment

Apparently Doug only co-wrote one song on KTD.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing...#Track_listing

The rest of the albums he appeared on were live or compilations.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Aldrich#Dio
                            We will know for the first time...
                            If we are evil or divine...
                            We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Poolman View Post
                              Apparently Doug only co-wrote one song on KTD.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing...#Track_listing

The rest of the albums he appeared on were live or compilations.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Aldrich#Dio
                              Credited with two on KTD(Along Comes A Spider, Scream), but no question who is doing the playing. Like I said I love the Vivian years, just don't like how it's played out.

Comment

The bottom line for this thread is that Vivian had some kick ass USA Charvels that he played the hell out of while in Dio.

Comment

Working...
                                X