I think Phil Collen sucks balls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Phil Collen sucks balls!

There, I said it. Sure, he has nice guitars. Sure, he has a nice ear for tone and plays a Marshall JMP-1. Sure, the man can play (sometimes). Sure, much like Sammy Hagar ..he made DL sell more records, but in my book he killed what I ever loved about DL.

I was goin' thru my shit and I haven't put on On Through The Night or High N Dry on for ages. I was thinkin' of trading the fuckers in for some good metal. Wouldn't ya know ..I was listensing to good metal. 1980..and 1981 with Steve Clark and Pete Willis. It was cool, fresh addition to NWOBHM at that time. It was all there man..the writing , production, and most important riffs man..the fuggin' solos..riffs! I forgot about that shit man! I have over 5000 "up to date" metal cds ..I don't listen to that shit anymore.

I bought Pyromania and Hysteria..and I couldn't fuggin' take it. Pyro was 50% OK..then it became bubblegum as fuck. Actually, MTV made them big and visa versa..but it killed what they were. Answer to the Master..Wasted...to that BS Phil Collen era shit. At best he's an average player that seems to bring much attention here..so fuggums. That's what I think!

Watching him wank aimlessy is painful as well. I was embarrased for him. When they ask you to be on That Metal Show..along with many EXCELLENT players. You better be on your game..no excuses. ..Tell 'em to put a fuggin' shirt on.

He has great tone tho..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

i think he sucks too - but i DO play the PC1 regularly!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      I bought Pyromania and Hysteria..and I couldn't fuggin' take it. Pyro was 50% OK..then it became bubblegum as fuck. Actually, MTV made them big and visa versa..but it killed what they were. Answer to the Master..Wasted...to that BS Phil Collen era shit. At best he's an average player that seems to bring much attention here..so fuggums. That's what I think!

He has great tone tho..
      Did Phil play on Pyromania?
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
        i think he sucks too - but i DO play the PC1 regularly!!!
        I
        love those guitars..love 'em to death! They remind me of my SD-! and SD-III with maple -no dots. Very similar tho.

I'd own a PC-1 in a heartbeat!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Let It Go rocks
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Billz, he has been using JMP-1s (his same live rig) for over 15 years now. hows that for loyalty to your tone? the band did change with him, and it changed again when Steve died and Campbell joined up. I know you may kick my ass for saying it, but I liked Pyromania and Hysteria...... I thought they had great song writing...... not metal, I do agree..... it was pop rock at best. but to me it had alot of polish on it that nothing else before it had. this is all my personal opinion though, so you can flush it down the toilet if you like I think that everything post hysteria was basically worthless. but I am sure there are those that would disagree too. I see your points, all very valid. I just have to say I like the hysteria stuff.

I will say this though, even with all the nonsense shredding he does these days, that fugger can sing.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
              Did Phil play on Pyromania?
              I
              don't know I traded that one in years ago. I was wondering myself. I would say yes because of the uber change in dynamics. I know Matt Lange (he was in Weird Science) had shit to do with that. Like Kelly Grey with Dokken, Queenryche, Rob Rock..guess who.

I say yes..or they made Willis leave because of the gayness. You have to expect some gayity to make it big..the kids love it. But don't go full blown gay on your metal fans..that hurts. They must ease 'em into the gayness. That's what I think!

Oh, just for info..I'm not talkin' bout any sexual shit here..just unicorns, and flowers.

Comment

Tone, everyone must be a little gay...I sure am. I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow.

Vivian Cambell..that tool put the fork in those fucks. I have Dio and Riverdogs..from there ..he's shit to me. Just like Dio said "He's a peice of shit". I have my own reasons I don't like that choad! I should blame Coverdale or Sykes. I paid good money to be belly to the stage in '87 to see WS open for Motely Crue. I couldn't wait to see my boy!! I was right in front of the Marshalls and Les Paul...then the fuck came out. I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fuggin' pissed. I kept yelling and pointing "Why is that dick here".."Where in the fuck is Sykes" ..he finally gave me the finger....twice! I didn't pay to see WS or MC..I paid big money at that time to see John Sykes! Who, BTW don't suck ass! These are facts!

Comment

Phil did most of the guitar parts for Pete when thy recorded Pyro and wrote his own solos for it.
                  Pete was a drunk and couldn't deal.
                  I dig Phil's sound/tone and I get his writing style. I don;t like how it has evolved though.
                  I figured with Viv, shit would get more interesting to listen too.
                  But Viv walked away from the style that made his career, so they both are ok to listen too, but nothing to make you go "WOW!" or "Holy Shit!".
                  Which is another thing I find interesting, because live, those too go off the hook and shred. They need to put that feel and energy into their albums.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    I

I say yes..or they made Willis leave because of the gayness. You have to expect some gayity to make it big..the kids love it. But don't go full blown gay on your metal fans..that hurts. They must ease 'em into the gayness. That's what I think!
                    Or because he was a dwarf.

Now, can you please have a word with a certain wriggly little fighter about accepting the gayness. Perhaps we can leather up and both pudslap him into submission. Yeah, he'd like that....
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

There's no doubt he has been a very important Jackson endorsee. I sometimes wonder who is more relevant that way: Phil, or Warren. Phil has definitely put more of his heart and soul into his signature models over the years, whereas Warren's sig is basically a strat (I don't think he really customized the specs all that much outside of the graphics and pickups.) However, Warren played J/C's from day one and you can see them in all of his earliest videos. Warren's a better player, and less of a wanker. Phil has put more guitars into more player's hands though...

Comment

The change maker...
                        Mutt Lange
                        Love to meet his ex....
                        >^v^<

Comment

I can't say I disagree at all.

On Through The Night and High and Dry I enjoy, and most of Pyromania. I really haven't listened to anything past that and have never really cared for Phil as a player or for Def Leppard as a shitty prancing tight-pants-no-shirts-and-lipstick "metal" band.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            There's no doubt he has been a very important Jackson endorsee. I sometimes wonder who is more relevant that way: Phil, or Warren. Phil has definitely put more of his heart and soul into his signature models over the years, whereas Warren's sig is basically a strat (I don't think he really customized the specs all that much outside of the graphics and pickups.) However, Warren played J/C's from day one and you can see them in all of his earliest videos. Warren's a better player, and less of a wanker. Phil has put more guitars into more player's hands though...
                            This is true! Warren is a much much much..very much..hugely much better player. But you're right about his collaborations with Jacksons..absolutely. They're a a bigger band than Ratt. Not to me..but to most.

I keep sayin' this..since I been here. Jeff Loomis and Alexi Laiho would have been great snags for Jackson! Both used Jacksons until they were stolen and retired. ESPee and Schecter got 'em. That Loomis Schecter rules!
                            Broderick was a nice snag..wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Megadave. "Megadeth" stamp alone added about a G to the price tag..the amount is equal to a JL Schecter. Broderick will NEVER be three times better than Loomis. These are facts.

Jackson signs boy bands that shop at Hot Topic !

Comment

I don't have much to say about Phil. I don't care much for his 'shredding' with the fast picking. There's no soul in it. Otherwise I think he's a capable player and like everyone else, I dig PC-1s.

Viv does make me sad. I want to say to him "Remember when you worshipped this guy?!?"

"You shouldn't have fuggin stopped!"
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X