Megadeth's Rust In Peace DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadeth's Rust In Peace DVD

Well, I'm setting here watching this DVD and thought I'd give a brief review of it.

I'm not really critical or a stickler like others so this review is basic.
    If you going for the in's and out's of production and stuff like that.
    This is NOT such a review.
    I'm very simple in my approach and that is, does it sound good and is the video good.
    Anything beyond and outside of that I could care less.

The show itself:
    The audio and video is good. Clear video and good audio
    The distortion sounds great on the guitars.
    Sound wise, it seems pretty even and balanced.
    Guitars aren't louder then the drums or bass and vice versa.
    If they are my ear didn't pick it up.

Dave's singing as with several of megadeth's live shows on DVD, his singing has been doctored up. Not really noticeable unless your looking for it.

You want to play and enjoy this on the large screen television and have the volume cranked a touch. You really hear it better and it creates a good live show vibe.

Venue:
    Hollywood Palladium - small venue.
    So don't expect a huge stage and a massive arena like massive crowd.

The crowd/fans:
    There are into it from start to finish and that's good to see.
    But not like Argentina across sea fans.
    The fans across the pond are much more into metal/rock shows then the American fans are.

Bonus features:
    Extra songs - (about 4-5 songs) played and filmed at the show just not part of the Rust In Peace set list.
    Behind scene footage - Very small limited footage but was amusing and enjoyable.
    Total behind scene footage maybe 7-8 minutes.
    Even so, the fans seen in the footage clearly solidify that metal is not dead.

Overall, I enjoyed it.
    When you can and get around to, watch and enjoy it as well.

One last thing,
    As seen in the backstage footage, Dave has a nice looking lady.
    She has to be a special gal to tolerate and put up with Dave. but a looker she is.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Good example of what I despise in live recordings. Sterile, balless sound. No liveness, energy or grit. Megadeth live recordings have sounded like this for at least the last 10 years. I'd rather listen to someone's camcorder recording than this over polished shit.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yep, live recording in themselves are really hard to capture the essence of the moment and sync and EQ the AV.
      But I was satisfied with it.

I would have really complained and dislike it if it wasn't touched and doctored up abit especially knowing its a DVD in retail stores.
      I can't stand poorly mixed live shows placed on the shelves in retail chains for sale.
      If it's a bootleg, I expect poor AV.
      I thought they did a good job with AV.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

The first half of the DVD was ruined for me, as Chris Broderick's guitar was WAY too low. I couldn't hardly hear his solos. FINALLY, about half way through the set, it's as if they caught on and turned his guitar up in the mix.

I was a huge fan of Megadeth starting back with Peace Sells. I bought that on cassette back in the late 80's (don't laugh ). They killed all admiration I built up for them over 12 years when they released Risk. I dropped them like a bad habit after that, and I haven't looked back. I just recently started to get back into them when they brought Chris Broderick on.

Having said that, I simply cannot get past Yawn Drover. Holy crap, this guy just DRAGS and DRAGS and DRAGS down every song he plays on. When I go back and watch old VHS tapes I have of live Megadeth shows, Nick Menza just rocks it. He was an animal behind the drums, and he really drove those songs hard. Drover is the exact polar opposite of Menza.

Until they replace Drover with a drummer who is actually awake during the set, I still can't get into them.

In summation, for me, half the DVD was ruined by the fact you could barely hear Broderick's solos, and then the entire DVD was ruined by the fact the drummer was asleep during the set.

Comment

Working...
        X